FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles

Updated December 8, 2014
3.3

FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne
Sergio Marchionne

Pros
  • Decent pay and benefits but eroding over time (in 25 reviews)

• Work Life Balance, satisfying work and never a dull moment at the workplace (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a challenge as the company continues to expand (in 20 reviews)

• you work long hours, depending on which plant you are located (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

207 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Summer vacation replacement

Former Employee - Summer Vacation Replacement Container Analyst in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time

Pros

-pay
    -work environment
    -salary
    -40 hour week
    -paid holiday

Cons

Only kept as summer replacement. Let go after 90 days

Looking back

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good pay , benefits ,opportunity to growth and advancement , meaning you can "build" the best position that is for you.You have the liberty to be proactive and make a difference

Cons

Is still a winer.Be prepare to "divorce " and get "marry" many time..Go trough much turmoil .Same thing.over and over.

Only the "strong"survvei.But of course every person is different and the experience is diferent.It is up to you to make it the best or the worst.

They never listen to anybody , lets get real
    .And is "take -it or live-it"

Place of politics...

Current Employee - Manager in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I like the campus, - it has beautiful architecture and allows many departments in one building, which is nice if you are part of cross-functional team. Pay is OK, benefits are pretty good. Some really nice people work here.

Cons

Some really NOT nice people work here as well. The place is drowning in politics, especially after the Italian take over. People get promoted based on friendship, not based on skills/ contribution. There is no clear vision or solid structure. People are purposely given overlapping responsibilities, which creates chaos and frustration. If you are lucky and have a decent manager, then you might be somewhat happy at work; otherwise, you are miserable. And there are MANY miserable people here...

Put your action where your words are. We hear wonderful things and promises from podiums and TV screens, but your actions say something totally else...

Good place to begin a Mechanical Engineering career. Company allows you to make your job what you want it to be.

Current Employee - Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time

Pros

Collaborative, learning, flexible work culture at most times
    You can approach anyone to ask technical questions
    Excellent diversity in the workplace
    CTC has great potential, can become the Googleplex of the Auto world

Cons

Some teams are not motivated to thoroughly root case issues
    Hiring practices are ordinary at best, hence half baked talent comes in
    Mid-managers lack creativity and inspiration
    A disciplined problem solving strategy is lacking (cross-functional teams should develop and breed experimental understanding attitude)
    A disciplined design approach is sometimes lacking, too much reliance on best practices (things like DOE should become standard practice)

Change your hiring practices, look at the people and judge their attitudes before you bring them in.
    Work culture is given too little importance. There must be more of an effort to create a World class engineering company.
    Hire engineering managers from Silicon Valley and pay them so that they stick around. That culture is essential not for simply a turnaround but for leapfrogging the competition.

My former employer

Former Employee - Quality Specialist in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Quality Specialist in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Dynamic, open doors policy, global, continuous improvement and technology update,

Cons

Policies can be used in micromanagement, too much of this distracts workforce from what matters the most, to identify top issues in manufacturing. Too much reporting, too little success, high seniority workforce not utilized properly, cost savings campaign targets higher paid salaries to force retirement, not a wise idea to loose expertise

Avoid micromanagement, plan to retain high seniority workforce to utilize their expertise to coach new workers and avoid costly mistakes,

Strong work environment, very motivated employees and management.

Former Employee - Product Development in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Product Development in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It is a big company so it is possible to collaborate with people in a wide variety of roles. Fairly open management team in terms of willingness to meet with you. I was an intern so that sometimes goes to my advantage, but many people were willing to step into mentorship roles.

Cons

Being such a large company there is some bureaucracy that employees have to work through. Although there are opportunities to move around, it is sometimes hard to know what is available and what is going on outside of what is quite public or directly relevant to your position.

Continue the push to be open and horizontal.

Changing - in a good way

Former Employee - International Product Strategy in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - International Product Strategy in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Sergio's impact is resonating here. Less bureaucracy throughout. Flexible time-off policies.

Cons

Inefficiencies are still visible e.g. latent databases that are so buried in the archives that most people create new ones without knowing

Opportunities for those willing to work hard.

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work, competitive pay, benefits are still pretty good. Jeep, Ram, and our minivans are tops in their segments. Sergio Marchionne is the strong leader we have been missing in the last 10 years.

Cons

Cyclical industry where we seem to continually go from boom to bust. Some positions can require extremely long hours with no incremental compensation versus other employees where hours are more “normal.”

Keep fixed costs under control to maintain profitability. Improve platform sharing especially among small cars to lower costs and improve margins. Figure out how to market and sell small cars to improve our average fuel economy.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Intern in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Chrysler was a great place to work. I was challenged, given meaningful projects, access to management and was able to contribute to my department's success. I learn a lot. The intern program was fun with social activities planned and most interns living in housing arranged by Chrysler made it easy to find new friends. Michigan had so much more to offer than I expected. I wasn't particularly interested in the auto industry before I interned, but now I am.

Cons

The hiring process was long and drawn out

Intern

I worked at FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Many departments, friendly and great people

Cons

Didn't get to work in department I wanted to work in

FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Photos