FCB Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014

Carter Murray

Pros
  • They stay true to providing a Good work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• The majority of the C-Level executives are absolutely great people (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hard to maintain (in 7 reviews)

• Senior Management from CEO level down are clueless about running a full-service agency (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

60 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Senior Art Director  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at FCB full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were a lot of perks here. They had a coffee bar where the coffee was great and only a dollar. Every summer they had an award show for all the employees that was nothing short of awesome

Cons

Sometimes the hours were long

Would never work here again or recommend this co. to colleagues or friends.

Former Employee - Senior Medical Editor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Medical Editor in New York, NY

I worked at FCB as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Semi-decent freelance/temp/contract pay. Close to Penn Station and not far from Port Authority. Some depts. have second/night shifts to help cut down on having too many late nights.

Cons

Poorly managed, esp. at the dept. level; no communication to speak of from managers; utter lack of even minimal training/guidance for new employees on the co.- and dept.-specific systems/processes; don't expect your last (mailed) paycheck to be on time (mine was >1 month late due to my ex-manager's inability or unwillingness to do the right thing even after I hounded HR); zero management input/reviews on what you need to do different or better before they shove you out the door (after you thought it was a temp-to-hire post) following just 2 weeks on the job--the entire 1st week of which the manager was out on vacation (he made a no-hire decision after just 4 days, and not a meeting with or peep from him at all before he had HR break the wonderful news; he hadn't the guts to do it himself). The quality of my work was superb, so they said. My speed supposedly needed some improvement. NO one told me before my last day that I wasn't working fast enough, and everything I did was turned around within hours/the same day I received the job. No one supervised me; perhaps I was doing extra work I didn't need to, or maybe I was taking a little more time than usual/checking my work since I was just starting at a new co. and wanted to ensure I "did it right" (plus I was trying to learn all the systems & processes on my own at the same time). Was never told I was doing anything wrong or poorly; was never asked how I was doing or if was I getting the info I needed to "learn the ropes." I had the feeling this was all 100% my direct manager's decision (and awfully quick: after just 4 days?!) because he just didn't like me for some reason. Had I worked for another team/different manager, I might well still be there as a F/T perm. employee, happily contributing my best work and growing in my position. I was not given a fair and reasonable opportunity to prove myself and will never know the real reason why.

Hire mid- and lower-level managers who know what they're doing, who can communicate properly, who are easy to approach, who have a spine, who can and want to develop new employees, and who can quickly spot a potential issue and correct/address it immediately so that everyone wins: client, employer, employee. Make your managers accountable to not just their bosses but their direct reports. Streamline the hiring process, esp. for the "rank & file" on whose backs you all make your bonuses/etc. (I had to chase down this job and jump through hoops for ~3 months of dept. & team transitions and turnover for a job that ended up lasting all of 2 weeks. Waste of time for everyone.) Don't assume everyone below you is a competent leader or manager.

QA Analyst

Current Employee - QA Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at FCB full-time for less than a year

Pros

Seems like a good place to move on

Cons

Nothing to say about cons

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

FCB has improved over the last few years. I think the management is finally listening.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at FCB full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Colorful art, coffee bar, smart people, shopping in the mall

Cons

Open floor plan distracting, but tolerable. Still have a long way to go to improve digital offerings.

Good job listening and trying to improve morale and training programs. Keep up the good work and acknowledge the stars so they don't leave.

Average pharmaceutical advertising agency.

Current Employee - Senior Medical Editor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Medical Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at FCB full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great boss and department, relaxed flexible.

Cons

Lack of respect for editors, confusion about process, incompetence.

Too many account people.

Here for a while. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Copywriter  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Copywriter in New York, NY

I have been working at FCB full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun culture, free coffee, close to Penn, good people.

Cons

Normal ones. Demanding clients, late hours, but nothing crazy.

Get better vending.

Weak Senior Managers and disorganized.

Current Employee - Media Planner  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Media Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at FCB full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Client provided challenging work and excellent experience.

Cons

Director levels were very weak.
    Salary reviews and increases were not a priority and often missed by six months.
    Digital poorly integrated with traditional advertising.
    Confusing merger with Initiative

Bring in new management at Director and higher positions.

A former leader that has been mismanaged for a decade.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at FCB full-time

Pros

A new CEO started in 2013, so there's hope the company is moving forward after years of losses and stagnation. New executives are in place throughout the company, finally giving support and hope to valued longtime employees.

Cons

The company is in quite a rut. The New York office has been mismanaged for almost a decade, with continuous turnover in leadership. Good clients and employees have been lost, and because of ongoing fiscal issues, valuable employees have been treated poorly.

Good luck.

Maybe the worst agency in NYC

Former Employee - Media Planner  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Media Planner in New York, NY

I worked at FCB full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The coffee bar in the New York office. Those who worked in middle management or below were incredible hard workers.

Cons

The executive leadership gets replaced every year or two, which makes the entire agency a fluid mess. The media department was lead by someone who did not have the right leadership characteristics, so much so it got dissolved

Steady, reliable place with congenial workmates, good pay, flexibility

Former Employee - Proofreader  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Proofreader in New York, NY

I worked at FCB full-time

Pros

Congenial colleagues, convenient location, good pay

Cons

Bureaucracy (probably no more than any large company), location convenient but expensive, cyclical nature of business (advertising) in general--volume of work can be feast or famine, some lack of variety in clients (other than healthcare)

Pay attention to personnel at all levels of the company, communicate clear objectives

Worked for FCB? Contribute to the Community!