FCB

www.fcb.com

FCB Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Carter Murray

Pros
  • They stay true to providing a Good work life balance(in 17 reviews)

• The majority of the C-Level executives are absolutely great people(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hard to maintain(in 7 reviews)

• Senior Management from CEO level down are clueless about running a full-service agency(in 12 reviews)

worked in strategy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRoom for promotion and growth-- if you are smart and eager you can progress more quickly than at many other agencies, opportunity to work on large-- if a little stodgy-- accounts, opportunity to expand skill-set

Consplenty of red tape (but that's normal for an agency of this size), often unorganized management with frequently changing vision, internal politics that feels a bit like high school all over again

Ongoing Turmoil

Creative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCool people in the creative department, great location in the Hancock Center, full-day personal development seminars, pays very well compared to other agencies.

ConsManagement seems excessively focused on winning awards at the expense of elevating day-to-day client work. There's still ongoing political turmoil stemming from the Draft and FCB merger, which gets in the way of producing the best possible work for clients.

Despite all the perks turnover is extremely high, even for an ad agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementCarter needs to reevaluate the entire management structure of the Chicago office. Focus on mentoring teams who do the day-to-day work that keeps the lights on. Be more transparent about the decision-making processes; open door policy doesn't truly exist, upper management is out of touch with what's happening on the creative floor.

Would never work here again or recommend this co. to colleagues or friends.

Senior Medical Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSemi-decent freelance/temp/contract pay. Close to Penn Station and not far from Port Authority. Some depts. have second/night shifts to help cut down on having too many late nights.

ConsPoorly managed, esp. at the dept. level; no communication to speak of from managers; utter lack of even minimal training/guidance for new employees on the co.- and dept.-specific systems/processes; don't expect your last (mailed) paycheck to be on time (mine was >1 month late due to my ex-manager's inability or unwillingness to do the right thing even after I hounded HR); zero management input/reviews on what you need to do different or better before they shove you out the door (after you thought it was a temp-to-hire post) following just 2 weeks on the job--the entire 1st week of which the manager was out on vacation (he made a no-hire decision after just 4 days, and not a meeting with or peep from him at all before he had HR break the wonderful news; he hadn't the guts to do it himself). The quality of my work was superb, so they said. My speed supposedly needed some improvement. NO one told me before my last day that I wasn't working fast enough, and everything I did was turned around within hours/the same day I received the job. No one supervised me; perhaps I was doing extra work I didn't need to, or maybe I was taking a little more time than usual/checking my work since I was just starting at a new co. and wanted to ensure I "did it right" (plus I was trying to learn all the systems & processes on my own at the same time). Was never told I was doing anything wrong or poorly; was never asked how I was doing or if was I getting the info I needed to "learn the ropes." I had the feeling this was all 100% my direct manager's decision (and awfully quick: after just 4 days?!) because he just didn't like me for some reason. Had I worked for another team/different manager, I might well still be there as a F/T perm. employee, happily contributing my best work and growing in my position. I was not given a fair and reasonable opportunity to prove myself and will never know the real reason why.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire mid- and lower-level managers who know what they're doing, who can communicate properly, who are easy to approach, who have a spine, who can and want to develop new employees, and who can quickly spot a potential issue and correct/address it immediately so that everyone wins: client, employer, employee. Make your managers accountable to not just their bosses but their direct reports. Streamline the hiring process, esp. for the "rank & file" on whose backs you all make your bonuses/etc. (I had to chase down this job and jump through hoops for ~3 months of dept. & team transitions and turnover for a job that ended up lasting all of 2 weeks. Waste of time for everyone.) Don't assume everyone below you is a competent leader or manager.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

QA Analyst

QA Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSeems like a good place to move on

ConsNothing to say about cons

Smart people but ongoing change

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere were a lot of smart and passionate people at the agency. FCB launched some great processes to help drive better creative and strategic thinking.

ConsThere are cliques throughout the agency which can get in the way of your growth and promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let the constant change whitewash the company culture. The great energy is what kept people invested and going.

Broadcast

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCoffee Bar, Work Hours (overall), Not the worse open floor plan out there

ConsHead creative hijacks productions, overly concerned with awards (vs. product)

FCB has improved over the last few years. I think the management is finally listening.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsColorful art, coffee bar, smart people, shopping in the mall

ConsOpen floor plan distracting, but tolerable. Still have a long way to go to improve digital offerings.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job listening and trying to improve morale and training programs. Keep up the good work and acknowledge the stars so they don't leave.

Chaos!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood holiday and summer days, tech allowance, good location, had some good clients to work on, some good colleagues

ConsSince the current local CEO and CCO came to power the place is in chaos, with no direction and they think by having happy hours it makes it all OK
    There has been a major talent drain and these positions have been filled with junior staff who do not have the right skills for the job, leaving senior management to pick up
    Very long hours - can't get the time to use the good holiday allowance!

Advice to Senior ManagementLook hard at who is running the Chicago office and make same changes before it is to late. I have worked with a lot of good leaders the current management do not have the respect of the clients or staff.

Preening Amateurs

Management Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsReputation was solid. A smart operation that knew how to manage large accounts. Great work ethic among lower and middle ranks. Outstanding location. One senior exec was inspirational, should have made him President.

ConsPlace was in shambles. Never seen morale lower. Overall leadership was the most inept I've ever seen at any agency. Directionless.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, get a vision. Second, clearly communicate it. Third, relentlessly execute it and make the hard calls.

Slave To The Grind

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsSurfing at lunch, travel, an occasional free dinner when working into the wee hours

ConsToo much bureaucracy. Higher ups don't deserve to be where they are.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to people in lower positions before you hire top level positions.

Worked for FCB? Contribute to the Community!