FCB Reviews

Updated September 2, 2014
Updated September 2, 2014

Carter Murray

Pros
  • They stay true to providing a Good work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• The majority of the C-Level executives are absolutely great people (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hard to maintain (in 7 reviews)

• Senior Management from CEO level down are clueless about running a full-service agency (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good but not great.

Former Employee - Applications Developer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at FCB full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a casual place to work.Many hardworking and passionate employees working for clients. The location is amazing, right in the middle of the city and great services/amenities nearby. FCB provides great benefits.

The company has a great reputation but keep a low expectation since IT/Digital services are not one of their strength.

Cons

Upper management unable to make good decisions,lack of professionalism and work ethics.

Be flexible and open to new ideas.

Better company that their reputation would have you believe. Even better now after all of the management changes.

Former Employee - Vice President, Creative Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President, Creative Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at FCB full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lot's of opportunity to work on big, decent clients. Good work is coming out of there. Lots of talent.

Cons

Still shedding old SC Johnson habits.

Keep going in the direction you're going.

Account Management Intern

Former Employee - Account Management Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Management Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at FCB as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The internship at FCB Chicago, being my first, was marvelous. The program in and of itself is nothing to write home about - it was the team that I was on and the people I met that made it so great. My team trusted me enough to pass off a lot of huge projects, and it was in the thick of it that I really saw myself developing as a member of the ad community. There are some amazingly talented people who work at this office just waiting to pour out their knowledge, and I was there ready to soak it up! The pay's not bad either. Also, Carter Murray is the coolest CEO ever! Follow him on Instagram!

Cons

Intimidating upper management for literally no reason; HR is convinced that they are untouchable, there's a lot of red tape involved with HR, pretty much HR needs work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok for a short time

Former Employee - Senior Art Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Art Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at FCB full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work with a lot of great beginner and mid level people. Great short term experience. Good amount of PTO. Exposer to a lot of different aspects of advertising.

Cons

Egos. Clicks. Politics. Career growth is weak. Lack of good leaders and mentors. Fight for a raise and fair compensation. No credit for your work. Higher level creatives take credit for work they have nothing to do with.

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Senior Art Director  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at FCB full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were a lot of perks here. They had a coffee bar where the coffee was great and only a dollar. Every summer they had an award show for all the employees that was nothing short of awesome

Cons

Sometimes the hours were long

worked in strategy

I worked at FCB full-time

Pros

Room for promotion and growth-- if you are smart and eager you can progress more quickly than at many other agencies, opportunity to work on large-- if a little stodgy-- accounts, opportunity to expand skill-set

Cons

plenty of red tape (but that's normal for an agency of this size), often unorganized management with frequently changing vision, internal politics that feels a bit like high school all over again

Ongoing Turmoil

Former Employee - Creative  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Creative in Chicago, IL

I worked at FCB as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Cool people in the creative department, great location in the Hancock Center, full-day personal development seminars, pays very well compared to other agencies.

Cons

Management seems excessively focused on winning awards at the expense of elevating day-to-day client work. There's still ongoing political turmoil stemming from the Draft and FCB merger, which gets in the way of producing the best possible work for clients.

Despite all the perks turnover is extremely high, even for an ad agency.

Carter needs to reevaluate the entire management structure of the Chicago office. Focus on mentoring teams who do the day-to-day work that keeps the lights on. Be more transparent about the decision-making processes; open door policy doesn't truly exist, upper management is out of touch with what's happening on the creative floor.

Mad house!

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at FCB full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good holiday allowance - but you need them!
    Office location good for shopping, not for trains.

Cons

The office now seems to have more freelancers than ever as so many people of been leaving due to the low morale in the office and lack of promotion or pay reviews.
    The work is fairly repetitive with the lack of new clients. Management seem to be more concerned about themselves and not how the business should be run - the lack of new clients shows this is fact.

Now Carter has been in his post for nearly a year he needs to have a big shack up with some of the remaining legacy global and senior management. The global CFO and global creative director are note in tune with the business or clients and are not adding value where it's needed.
    The Chicago CEO and CCO are competing to lead the Chicago office this creates confusion and divides the senior management team and leads to decent in the staff...

Broadcast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FCB full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Coffee Bar, Work Hours (overall), Not the worse open floor plan out there

Cons

Head creative hijacks productions, overly concerned with awards (vs. product)

Would never work here again or recommend this co. to colleagues or friends.

Former Employee - Senior Medical Editor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Medical Editor in New York, NY

I worked at FCB as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Semi-decent freelance/temp/contract pay. Close to Penn Station and not far from Port Authority. Some depts. have second/night shifts to help cut down on having too many late nights.

Cons

Poorly managed, esp. at the dept. level; no communication to speak of from managers; utter lack of even minimal training/guidance for new employees on the co.- and dept.-specific systems/processes; don't expect your last (mailed) paycheck to be on time (mine was >1 month late due to my ex-manager's inability or unwillingness to do the right thing even after I hounded HR); zero management input/reviews on what you need to do different or better before they shove you out the door (after you thought it was a temp-to-hire post) following just 2 weeks on the job--the entire 1st week of which the manager was out on vacation (he made a no-hire decision after just 4 days, and not a meeting with or peep from him at all before he had HR break the wonderful news; he hadn't the guts to do it himself). The quality of my work was superb, so they said. My speed supposedly needed some improvement. NO one told me before my last day that I wasn't working fast enough, and everything I did was turned around within hours/the same day I received the job. No one supervised me; perhaps I was doing extra work I didn't need to, or maybe I was taking a little more time than usual/checking my work since I was just starting at a new co. and wanted to ensure I "did it right" (plus I was trying to learn all the systems & processes on my own at the same time). Was never told I was doing anything wrong or poorly; was never asked how I was doing or if was I getting the info I needed to "learn the ropes." I had the feeling this was all 100% my direct manager's decision (and awfully quick: after just 4 days?!) because he just didn't like me for some reason. Had I worked for another team/different manager, I might well still be there as a F/T perm. employee, happily contributing my best work and growing in my position. I was not given a fair and reasonable opportunity to prove myself and will never know the real reason why.

Hire mid- and lower-level managers who know what they're doing, who can communicate properly, who are easy to approach, who have a spine, who can and want to develop new employees, and who can quickly spot a potential issue and correct/address it immediately so that everyone wins: client, employer, employee. Make your managers accountable to not just their bosses but their direct reports. Streamline the hiring process, esp. for the "rank & file" on whose backs you all make your bonuses/etc. (I had to chase down this job and jump through hoops for ~3 months of dept. & team transitions and turnover for a job that ended up lasting all of 2 weeks. Waste of time for everyone.) Don't assume everyone below you is a competent leader or manager.

Worked for FCB? Contribute to the Community!