FCC Reviews

1 Rating

Novel / multi arena job

Former Employee - District Director
    Former Employee - District Director

I worked at FCC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Varied work. Exposure to multiple disciplines. Work in both technical arena and administrative law enforcement. Work schedule flexibility. Small teams and direct interface with management structure.

Cons

Perks as compared to industry is sad. Budgetary restrictions. Limited training budget. Field staff under appreciated and supported. 24/7 aspect of the work. Technical work hampered by political environment at times.

Listen to the field structure and staff. Tailor data acquisition to the task at hand and not to reporting requirments.

Staff Attorney

I have been working at FCC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some work schedule flexibility, depending on what group you're in.

Cons

Salary is ABSOLUTELY NOT a reason to take a job here. Managers are not made/promoted based on actual ability to manage people. Bureaucracy can be absolutely maddening. We regulate communications, but our own internal communications are a joke - even our "new" tech purchases are obsolete before they're implemented. And constant budget battles have completely eliminated the stability that federal jobs used to offer.

When people start leaving a particular Bureau, Division or group in droves, it's time to look at what's going on with the managers and how they treat the staff. It often feels like the inmates are running the asylum around here. There's a problem when a staff person is told she can't take a detail or move to another group to expand her experience/try something new because the managers above her DON'T KNOW WHO WOULD THEY COULD FIND TO DO HER CURRENT JOB. And if a Bureau Chief can take two MONTHS of leave off at one time (not for maternity or sick leave) without the world coming to an end, managers shouldn't be monitoring staff requests (with the implied possibility of denying them) for leave of 2 or more WEEKS at a time. NO ONE is indispensable or irreplaceable.

A place rife with anger and abuse

I worked at FCC as a contractor

Pros

From the outside it appears as if you were a permit staff member, which I was not, that there is allot of "telecommuting" which would lend its self well to working at home and consequently a supportive place to work if you have a family. In fact most of the staff members namely the attorneys were hardly in their offices at all during the limited time I was in the building.

Cons

There is a culture here of extreme conservatism and intolerance towards lower "ranks". This is evident by the abundant permeation of one kind of aggressive, religious culture. This raises a few concerns for me as it is government agency designed to be impartial and it must be possible to encourage a more tolerant work environment if for nothing else then to adhere to legal standards. Who is doing the hiring and how they are they screening for such concentrated zealous personalities? Also as an outsider and temporary staff member the abuse that was inflicted on the support staff on the building was something notorious. It was an understanding amongst the building technicians and engineers that this was a place where an unusual amount of belligerent and abusive comments and actions were made. Some of the treatment doled out to the different support staff members I witnessed bordered on being illegal in terms of contributing to a hostile workplace.

You have a potential law suit on your hands should you allow your established staff members to continue to abuse and demean the very essential components of your organization that make the building run. The job I had was temporary in nature and involved nuts and bolts activities at various governmental agencies through out DC and this was by far the place I was warned repeatedly about the most about in terms of potential damage the staff would inflict on our team. I brushed this off as rumor only to be confronted with what I can only describe as punitive and oppressive treatment that I couldn't believe was legal.

Great work/life balance, little advancement opportunity

Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at FCC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to have a family and work on interesting topics.
    Teleworking and various employee inclusion events.

Cons

No advancement outside of the position you were hired for.
    Positions for advancement come too few and far in between.

Central to the tech world, still a bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

I have been working at FCC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Federal employees have great hours and benefits. Get to work on policy issues and read about them in the press.

Cons

The bureaucracy is for real and will drive you crazy.

Great experience

Former Employee - Attorney Advisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Attorney Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at FCC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly, collaborative atmosphere. Great benefits, a great many opportunities for advancement, flexible work arrangements including telecommuting.

Cons

You're at the whims of the federal government budgeting process which lately has added uncertainty in terms of furloughs, hiring and advancement, etc.

Delegate more broadly

I enjoyed my time at FCC for a time

I worked at FCC full-time

Pros

Great people to work with and willing to work with you at times

Cons

Too many people trying to be there on boss.

Law school internship

I worked at FCC

Pros

Great exposure to learning the regulatory challenges and policy priorities in an agency dealing with the fastest growing, fastest innovating segment of the economy.

Cons

Understandably a gov't agency may not be able to have as much time and organizational resource as a private company would to tailor an internship program. The position was unpaid though I did receive a public service stipend from my law school.

Overall experience depends on the Chair and his/her staff

I worked at FCC

Pros

Many intelligent and generally kind coworkers
    Work on policies that impact all citizens and some of the most important sectors in our economy

Cons

Few opportunities to advance or develop new skills
    Poor formal training and employee education

Choose senior advisors with more professional and/or industry-specific experience

** ---**

Current Employee - Senior Staff in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Staff in Washington, DC

I have been working at FCC

Pros

Great opportunities for anyone interested.

Cons

Long hours for staff that are just starting

Consider advancement from within your ranks