FCC Reviews

Tom Wheeler

1. Program Assistant

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at FCC (Less than a year)

Pros

Access to industry leaders. Very laid back environment compared to private sector. At the same time, there is an intellectually serious atmosphere and a culture of service. FCC employees truly care about the organization's mission.

Cons

None that I could see aside from not managing interns on our project very closely.

Advice to Management

Promising interns should be actively groomed and others, weeded out.

2. FCC Law Jobs: Great Work-Life Balance, Good Benefits

Former Employee - FCC Lawyer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - FCC Lawyer in Washington, DC

I worked at FCC full-time

Pros

Great Work-Life Balance
    Good Benefits, e.g., health care, etc.
    Much more pleasant than working in a big law firm.
    No need to worry about billable hours, client recruiting, etc.
    Work is in the public interest.

Cons

By big law firm standards, compensation is not high.
    Work can be repetitive and sometimes dull.
    Not a very social work environment, e.g., no after-work happy hours. A con for some people, but not for others.

3. Be wary

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at FCC full-time

Pros

If you are interested in the regulation of telecommunications, this is 1 of a few places for you. Lawyers get top billing here, economists follow, then engineers. If you want to be part of the in crowd, you must be a part of one of these groups. Non members may be marginalized.

Cons

Management may vary by bureau. In some instances management is adolescent, including the emotional segregation of employees that have erred or ended up on the undesirable list. Morale in some offices is low.

Advice to Management

Find enlightenment, not the staring at your belly button type, but post industrial revolution: Henry Ford's school of management is ineffective. Use FCC University to enhance employee skills, invest in your employees and align your interests with their aspirations.

5. Electrician

I worked at FCC

Pros

Good place to work and good people to work with

Cons

Hours didn't work out for me

6. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at FCC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very family friendly, great training, good people and benefits

Cons

leadership changes at least every 4 years

Advice to Management

accountability

7. Staff Attorney

I have been working at FCC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some work schedule flexibility, depending on what group you're in.

Cons

Salary is ABSOLUTELY NOT a reason to take a job here. Managers are not made/promoted based on actual ability to manage people. Bureaucracy can be absolutely maddening. We regulate communications, but our own internal communications are a joke - even our "new" tech purchases are obsolete before they're implemented. And constant budget battles have completely eliminated the stability that federal jobs used to offer.

Advice to Management

When people start leaving a particular Bureau, Division or group in droves, it's time to look at what's going on with the managers and how they treat the staff. It often feels like the inmates are running the asylum around here. There's a problem when a staff person is told she can't take a detail or move to another group to expand her experience/try something new because the managers above her DON'T KNOW WHO WOULD THEY COULD FIND TO DO HER CURRENT JOB. And if a Bureau Chief can take two MONTHS of leave off at one time (not for maternity or sick leave) without the world coming to an end, managers shouldn't be monitoring staff requests (with the implied possibility of denying them) for leave of 2 or more WEEKS at a time. NO ONE is indispensable or irreplaceable.

8. A place rife with anger and abuse

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at FCC as a contractor

Pros

From the outside it appears as if you were a permit staff member, which I was not, that there is allot of "telecommuting" which would lend its self well to working at home and consequently a supportive place to work if you have a family. In fact most of the staff members namely the attorneys were hardly in their offices at all during the limited time I was in the building.

Cons

There is a culture here of extreme conservatism and intolerance towards lower "ranks". This is evident by the abundant permeation of one kind of aggressive, religious culture. This raises a few concerns for me as it is government agency designed to be impartial and it must be possible to encourage a more tolerant work environment if for nothing else then to adhere to legal standards. Who is doing the hiring and how they are they screening for such concentrated zealous personalities? Also as an outsider and temporary staff member the abuse that was inflicted on the support staff on the building was something notorious. It was an understanding amongst the building technicians and engineers that this was a place where an unusual amount of belligerent and abusive comments and actions were made. Some of the treatment doled out to the different support staff members I witnessed bordered on being illegal in terms of contributing to a hostile workplace.

Advice to Management

You have a potential law suit on your hands should you allow your established staff members to continue to abuse and demean the very essential components of your organization that make the building run. The job I had was temporary in nature and involved nuts and bolts activities at various governmental agencies through out DC and this was by far the place I was warned repeatedly about the most about in terms of potential damage the staff would inflict on our team. I brushed this off as rumor only to be confronted with what I can only describe as punitive and oppressive treatment that I couldn't believe was legal.

9. Novel / multi arena job

Former Employee - District Director
    Former Employee - District Director

I worked at FCC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Varied work. Exposure to multiple disciplines. Work in both technical arena and administrative law enforcement. Work schedule flexibility. Small teams and direct interface with management structure.

Cons

Perks as compared to industry is sad. Budgetary restrictions. Limited training budget. Field staff under appreciated and supported. 24/7 aspect of the work. Technical work hampered by political environment at times.

Advice to Management

Listen to the field structure and staff. Tailor data acquisition to the task at hand and not to reporting requirments.

10. Central to the tech world, still a bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

I have been working at FCC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Federal employees have great hours and benefits. Get to work on policy issues and read about them in the press.

Cons

The bureaucracy is for real and will drive you crazy.

11. Great work/life balance, little advancement opportunity

Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at FCC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to have a family and work on interesting topics.
    Teleworking and various employee inclusion events.

Cons

No advancement outside of the position you were hired for.
    Positions for advancement come too few and far in between.