FDH Engineering

2.2

CHRISTOPHER MURPHY

Overall Good Experience

I have been working at FDH Engineering

Pros

Good work environment. Monthly employee appreciation events.

Cons

Compensation and promotions were not quite up to standard.

IF OFFERED JOB TURN IT DOWN!

I worked at FDH Engineering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

decent pay and benefits, seemed like a good company and salary was not an option

Cons

No training, supervisors/executives are distant and uncaring, environment is tense and competitive, truly and unfeeling company who does not care who they hurt as long as they get what they want

start management training on how to effectively supervise

Too much emphasis on getting bigger and not enough on doing a good job for their clients

Former Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at FDH Engineering full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a nice break room for the employees

Cons

Narrow minded management on challenging clients, not truthful on workload, always in a reactive mode, trying to be bigger than what they are and portraying that unrealistic image to clients. Getting into jobs where they don't have expertise.

Really listen to your employees and don't just provide "lip service" to silence the issue. Take a hard look at your resources vs. your ability accurately and honestly work a project and meet your clients timelines and expectation

Glad That's Over

I worked at FDH Engineering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growing company: Clean, shiny office, Lots of lunches, Nice people to work with, Great benefits, Travel opportunities,

Cons

No incentive to excel, Poor communication between upper an lower ranks, Lack of definition of role and expectations, Facing the stress involved with transforming from a small shop into a large corporation, Boring work

Groom every employee as if they are your replacement. Don't assume they all want to slip into the meat grinder - some employees actually do want to commit to a company for the long-term these days.

Overall an amazing company that put you first.

I have been working at FDH Engineering

Pros

Want to help you achieve your goals for your future careers.

Cons

The OSHA training is a lot but necessary.

Poor Management

I worked at FDH Engineering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am hard pressed to think of many pros of my experience there.

Cons

Micro-management, overworked, poor pay, false promises, constant under-minding of employees. This company is a revolving door, very high turn over rate due to poor treatment of employees.

Learn to listen to and work with your employees, after all they are the work force of the company. Be truthful in expectations, "incentive pay" and promises. Happy employees work harder, stay longer and ultimately produce a better moral and profit for the company.

Great people to work with, unrealistic work expectations.

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at FDH Engineering full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As an engineer straight out of school this job seemed like an awesome one on paper. Travel across the country for work, decent pay, climb cell towers that are 500+ feet tall, everyone who worked there were really cool and down to earth. Great health/dental/eye insurance.

Cons

You do not get any retirement/401k unless you stay with the company for more than 1 year.

Be ready to have no form on social/home life whether you are on the road or in the office. I regularly worked 60-80 hours per week with a few 100 hour weeks here and there. If you are a field engineer, you will never work an 8-hour day. The true kicker is as a salaried employee, you do not get paid for any hours worked over 40, no matter the circumstance. When I asked upper about this, I was told "We expect you to work 12 hours per day MINIMUM."

The turnover rate is extremely high, I was hired in with a group of 7 engineers over the summer, and by August only 3 were left, myself included. By October the rest of us were actively seeking other employment. We were all field engineers and were away from home for 10 days at a time, and home for 4. This may not seem too bad, but 2 of your 4 days are spent catching up on sleep and relaxing, you really do not have any time to spend with loved ones and have any sort of a social life. From my experience, the only people that stayed with FDH longer than 6 months were either too stupid, or too desperate for work not to leave. It seems like their current business model is to hire young engineers fresh out of college, work them to death until they quit, then hire new ones.

As crazy as all this sounds, I could have handled the crazy hours and lack of a social life. But once I realized that after you stay in the field as a field engineer for 1-2 years, you get moved into the office; but you take a PAY CUT to do this. You loose your per-diem from not being on the road, so I would have been making less money and still working crazy hours in the office. Once I talked to some office guys and realized that, I got the heck out of there as fast as I could.

I am thoroughly convinced that the only good reviews for this company on this site are from the hiring managers trying to lure in recent graduates.

I spoke to some mid-level management before I resigned, they know the current work system is broken. They told me nobody stays with the company longer than 6 months. I asked why they weren't trying to rectify the problem, the answer I was given was "It's not my call to make." Having this much turnover cannot be a healthy business model for any company, especially for one looking to expand. You have to better compensate your salaried employees that are busting their butts for you with these 60-80-100 hour work weeks, instead of having a few parties and events each month. You may have been able to get away with this sweat-shop cube-farm like atmosphere when the economy was bad, but now that companies are hiring again, nobody is going to stay once they realize how bad it is.

You are sold on opportunity, expected to work long hours and given unreasonable expectations

I worked at FDH Engineering full-time

Pros

Perks were good. Keurig in the break room, free lunches are pretty common. First Thursday of every month you get some free food and drinks. Competitive pay and benefits package.

Cons

Unreasonable production expectations at the expense of quality. They focus so much on getting projects out the door that it really feels like there is an 'anything goes' mentality with the quality and accuracy of your work, which leads to an uncomfortable ethical scenario.... The PE's that 'sign' the projects never actually review the project. Often, the only person with legitimate understanding of a site that gets signed and pushed out the door is a Project Engineer 1 with maybe a year of experience if you're lucky.

Employees are regularly over-worked. 50 hour weeks with high intensity and focus, and at the end of the week you get a pat on the back and told to repeat it next week, but faster this time. The team leads pass on goals given from senior management that equate to more than 2 projects per engineer per day, and it's simply not possible to accomplish that on a regular basis in a 40-hr week.

Value your employees. Almost no one who works here enjoys their job.

Long hours short on pay dangling carrot bonuses

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at FDH Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee, some perks like reboot thursdays were you can drink a few beers

Cons

Long hard hours with un-trained supervision. No management training what so ever, so it is a crap shoot on what your bosses might be and how many bosses you could have Bonuses for the "chosen ones" but not all get bonuses. After hour work, emails, phone calls that seem to never stop
    Vacation days are semi-working days, even holidays are not a given, as you will still get emails and calls if your manager can't manage his/her time appropriately.

Train your managers to manage, not micromanage, actually listen to the people doing the work
    Quit killing some while others skate. Managers are golden children with no over sight on what they do or how they do it

If you want to make ok money and willing to give up any semblance of a personal life for it here is your job.

Current Employee - Field Technician in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Field Technician in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at FDH Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All the over time in the world you could possibly want if your an hourly employee if you are salary SOL! You will work overtime you just will not get compensated for it.

Cons

So many too many infact to isolate to a paragraph. So I will focus solely on the one that pertaining to me as a field employee first and glaring con is way over worked and way underpaid. In order to make decent money here you will have to average 80 hours a week if not you might as well stay home. Second biggest con the long string of continuous days you have to work in a row in very harsh conditions with no sympathy of your situations you are put into by uppet management. Third and my final con I will point out although there are many more the glass ceiling there is absolutely no room for advancement at this company they only can give you raises in pay and they never really do that either without a person having to constantly whine about it instead of the acknowledging hard work.

You need to learn that as company no matter how large you get your biggest assets are your employees. The ones who are committed to helping you as well as themselves achieve success.