FDIC

FDIC Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

FDIC Acting Chairman Martin J. Gruenberg

Martin J. Gruenberg

Pros:
  • "The work life balance is incredible, and the content of the work is interesting"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Flexible And Great Benefits Interesting Work And Travel"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you come from the private sector your peers are not as knowledgeable and act very defensive"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Can't make decisions for yourself"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great job for the experience.

Credit Analystsolutions and Receivership Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at FDIC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have learned a lot about the regulatory side of banking as well as the public sector in general.

ConsGovernment work is slow and boring compared to the private sector.

Investigations Specialist Grade 12

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at FDIC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Benefits - telework available - excellent technology learning platforms - contacts available throughout banking industry

ConsRulebooks for everything , internal turf battles hinder the mission, tend to be reactive rather than proactive (see finanacial crisis of 08-12. )

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at who the real performers are and reward them, many people are playing out the string and doing nothing but nitpicking the rulebook to justify their existence. There are many talented and bright people in the agency who have to carry more than their share to make up for others. And act quicker on problem banks,,be less susceptible to political influence.

Great Work-Life Balance

Financial Institution Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at FDIC full-time for less than a year

Pros- Supportive management and peers
- Good hours

Cons- Slight inefficiencies in training program

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Its Government. What else can you say

Resolution and Receivership Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at FDIC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Experience working with great group of ex bankers
Pay
Benefits

ConsIts Government. Chances for promotion or hire are none without veteran preference
Can't make decisions for yourself.
Strict hierarchy that must not be broken or you will hear about it....5 times

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the employees take the credit. Offer more encouragement

Decent place to work

Financial Institution Specialist (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at FDIC full-time for more than a year

ProsA good work life balance, good pay.

ConsHorrible government environment where all managers are on the defensive due to the strong union. Go out of there way to lie for and cover the backside of their middle-managers. Be prepared for this. Also, merit is not rewarded, but connections at the Washington office through details leads to promotion. Nothing else. Typical government B.S.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being on the defensive and looking out for your middle-managers at the expense of your employees.

Shame

Financial Management Scholar (Former Employee)
Sunrise, FL

I worked at FDIC as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe benefits, experience and overall value of the internship seems great.

ConsHR is very bad at recruiting top talent for this program. I am probably overqualified but was deemed ineligible because the recruiters kept giving me inaccurate information on requirements and deadlines. Paid for an official transcript, had a letter of recommendation from an extremely qualified professor and a 3.65 gpa. Was deemed ineligible because of faulty information from the HR representatives. They tried to defend themselves by arguing with me over clear facts via email. Very unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire individuals within your human resources department who actually possess qualifications.

Great Place To Work

Resolutions and Receivership Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at FDIC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible And Great Benefits Interesting Work And Travel

ConsMost of the current positions are term

Life Changing

DRR (Current Employee)

I have been working at FDIC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSalary, travel, networking and OJT. Your job plays a essential role in protecting the public trust by ensuring financial stability.

ConsCompetitive and stressful at times. Frequent travel and being able to manage unforeseen circumstance pertaining to bank failures.

Just Remember To Bolster Yourself BEFORE Coming In

Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at FDIC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat atmosphere to work in. Tons of information to learn about banking and finance in general. A unique view of banking that cannot be offered from any other organization. Great people to learn with and from on a daily basis if you are good at networking and socializing.

ConsVERY beaurocratic. Challenging to get promoted if you are not already a specialist - virtually impossible for technicians. The "don't rock the boat" mentality of most managers can be difficult to deal with. Trying to stand out by working hard can put a target on your back - frustrating. An unusual mix of older aged employees trying to make their time last a few more years and "slow down", and young people trying to get the work done to impress management for their own personal growth - conflicting interest among those two elements of the work force. Permanent employees are the "protected species" while "temps" are made to do all the work, only to be booted out when it's done.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to the younger employees already inside the organization for new permanent work force, rather than recruiting kids with no experience straight from colleges.....very exlusionary hiring processes seem rather discriminatory.

Good place to work

Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at FDIC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Salary, Overtime and benefits.

ConsEverything is run by the government

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't think outside of the box, you won't get promoted.

Worked for FDIC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FDIC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FDIC CEO Martin J. Gruenberg. All 113 reviews posted anonymously by FDIC employees.