FDM Group

Updated December 15, 2014
3.5

FDM Group CEO, Founder, and Director Rod Flavell
Rod Flavell

Pros
  • The only good thing is that you will have work experience from a blue chip company on your CV (in 21 reviews)

• 2 year contract working with blue chip companies will set me up for life (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Unpaid training (offset by the 599 program if you qualify) (in 18 reviews)

• 2 year contract with consulting cut taken out of pay (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty good for those who work

Current Employee - PMO Trainee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - PMO Trainee in New York, NY

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Trainers are pretty helpful and the fellow trainees are a great network to build. The roles they allow you to get are generally fantastic especially if just starting out of college.

Cons

Unpaid training and low starting salary for two years which they are upfront about. I'd recommend putting time into your resume (which they help you build) and treating the job seriously. Those that treated it like a job got placed in good roles and those that treated it like school or didn't take it seriously may have trouble.

FDM PMO Consultant

I worked at FDM Group

Pros

They will put you in touch with companies that are very difficult to break into (Investment Banks).
    They prepare you for the interviews and provide you with an accurate depiction of what life is like at IB.

Cons

They do not pay you during training.
    There are long hours during training.

Organize the structure of your courses and make things transparent.

grwat opportunities handled by Idiots

Current Employee - IT Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-placement in industry leading companies and potential full time employment there after two years as a consultant

Cons

Everything else.
    -Sluggish administration
    -Constantly "loosing" emails
    -Terrible pay
    -Useless account managers
    -$30,000 training fee if your contract terminates early (if you resign or get fired)

don't make promises you don't keep, like setting up carpooling for your consultant, helping them find an apartment or you know paying for their hotel.

It's okay if you can't find a job on your own...

Current Employee - IT Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at FDM Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Potential for scoring a job with a big name client
    Training is okay
    People at FDM are mostly nice and intelligent
    Some British humor from the academy manager here and there
    They do a nice job in getting new clients- More clients means more jobs!

Cons

It took me a while to get placed (3 months)- Some people got placed within a couple of weeks so it all depends on luck and your skill set
    Unpaid training- find a way to support yourself
    The payment schedule is bizarre. You get paid once a month and you get paid for time worked the month after. (For example, you worked for the month of June, you will get paid for that time at the end of July)-This affects people who are newly placed for their first couple of months.
    Pay is pretty bad. Around 43K for the first year and that is if you are working with a client for the entire year.
    It all depends on your resume and how you did on your interview for placement. Your grades during training really doesn't matter, unless you flunk so bad you get kicked out.

Please fix your pay system. That includes payment twice a month, some pay increase (average salary for collage grad/it specialist), stipend during training.
    Assistance for placement - I only saw one account manager actually helping trainees to polish up their resume before sending it to clients. It seems everyone else just spam resume out to clients. If all account managers can be as dedicated and vigilant to assist unplaced consultants, I think placement rate can be faster.

Great chance to break into software developing.

Current Employee - Trainee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Trainee in New York, NY

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're smart or hardworking this is a real chance to get into the IT field. The trainers are great. The structure helps smooth the transition at a real work place.

Cons

It is disgusting how half the male trainees have no problem sexually harassing the few female trainees to the point where people need to travel in groups or are actively avoiding certain areas. This is for the NYC academy.

Instead of the really basic and unhelpful presentation on the first day, there should be a mandatory sexual harassment lecture.

Great company to start out with. They'll take you from being a college graduate to being a professional programmer.

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

They bridge the gap between what you learn when you come out of university and what you need to learn when you a professional IT consultant. The training is hard and intense, but totally worth it. Their clients are all large well established organizations, mostly banks. Your resume would look much better after being at FDM.

Cons

You have to be geographically flexible, but they do help with relocating. You have to forgo pay for 4 months whilst you complete our training course. Pay will start, once you are onsite at our clients work place.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Good Fall back

I have been working at FDM Group

Pros

The training is pretty good and you will learn a lot for it especially if your college experience wasn't great learning wise.

Cons

The obvious 2 years contract is probably the biggest con. Also mostly likely you will be placed with a investment bank for those 2 years and that isn't great either if were looking for something a little more laid back.

It's ok

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

The location was nice, people were ok

Cons

Low starting salary, not enough placement

Overall, good experience

I have been working at FDM Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

helps you get get a job, prepare for that jobs with valuable skills

Cons

It might take a while to get a job

keep up the god work

Gets your foot in the door, and that's about it

I have been working at FDM Group

Pros

Got me an interview with a client and helped me get through that interview. As a recent graduate without any experience, this was very helpful since I got placed at a bank and finally started gaining experience.

Cons

Low salary, poor benefits, extremely long and restraining contract.
    If you break the contract within the first year, you have to pay FDM $30k, and for the 2nd year it is $20k. FDM claims that they charge that amount to cover the cost of training which is horrible and is mostly worthless - my stream had only one decent trainer during the weeks of Unix and SQL, all the other trainers pretty much handed us a book to study from and gave us lectures a couple of times a week (they were mostly reading off the slides during those lectures).
    There is also a clause in the contract which forbids you to work for any of FDM's clients for 6 months in case of a breach.

It is high time for you to start appreciating the hard work of your consultants.