FDNY

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nicholas Scoppetta

Have had such a great career.

ProsOne of the most challenging jobs you will ever do no matter what aspect that you serve within the department.

ConsWorking for any government agency has issues with items such as procurement and project management. These issues are prevalent here as well.

FDNY-One of the best jobs in the world!

Firefighter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexibility of your work schedule. Good salary. Your co-workers become a second family. You have to work as a team, no loners. The job brings a tradition with it. Things are carried down from one generation to the next. A job you can take pride in.

ConsYou have to work long hours. You have to work holidays and weekends. The job can be dangerous at times. Physically draining at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep FDNY tradition alive. It is very important as I'm sure you know to keep traditions in place. They exist for a reason. To make only those who really want the job get the job. And to make sure that we work as a team not as an individual. And also to instill Company Pride.

Best Job in the World

Firefighter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsHelping people in exciting environment, challenging work, advancement based on own ability and knowledge

ConsWork can be dangerous and life threatening, some people will not appreciate the sacrifice made by you and fellow employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical government agency, small workload, good for those who just want a job not career

Data Science (Current Employee)

ProsEmployees are nice and caring, have great work life balance.

ConsNot challenging enough for those who want to maximize the value of internship experience

Great place

ProsLove it, great place to work

ConsNo bad things, great people

STILL the greatest job in the world!

Firefighter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSatisfying work with immediate results, make a difference in someone's life, comradery (a second family of sorts), time off (schedule is somewhat flexible), decent pay.

Consdangerous and potentially deadly, stressful, long term health issues are a very real problem (cancers and physical disabilities), exhausting, guaranteed to miss holidays and family events.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake advances in new equipment available to the members faster.

I've had a great experience.

Firefighter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt's a job with stability

ConsCan't think of any cons

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget where you came from.

A valuable experience to expand one's emergency medical skills.

Paramedic (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsThe benefits are excellent, and there is a great opportunity for advancement.

ConsSometimes there are mandatory overtimes shifts when the time is not optimal.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave empathy with the field and office personnel.

The greatest job on earth...

Firefighter (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsJumping onto a big fire truck.
    Racing to the aid of someone In need.
    Knowing you made a difference in someones life.
    Running Into a building that is on fire.
    Having a second family.
    Great hours.
    Decent pay.

ConsSeeing people at their worst.
    Seeing death almost everyday you work.
    Not being able to save everyone.
    Knowing and seeing how frail and dangerous life really is.

Fdny emt

Fdny Emt (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat job security, great benefits, lots of promotional opportunity if your lucky enough to make it over to fire after a min. of 2 long years of service.

ConsHorrible hours, crappy pay, lack of unity on ems side, people will throw each other under the bus, too many bosses telling you what to do, super easy to get written up, bad work environment with each ambulance sitting on a street corner. Get burnt out real quick. No motivation to better yourself, no bonuses, hour for hour type of job. Great job if you want to do nothing with your life except the bare minimum.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the trickle down effect of higher command yelling at capts yelling at lts, then us at the bottom getting the worst of it.

Worked for FDNY? Contribute to the Community!