FEI

FEI Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

FEI President, CEO, and Director Don R. Kania

Don R. Kania

lots of areas for career growth

Proslots of areas for career growth

Consbusiness and planning challenges are hard to work with

Management needs work

ProsIf someone wants the very latest in electron microscopy instrumentation, FEI is it.

ConsNew products, while challenging, offer the best glimpse into what the market is demanding and what FEI is capable of offering.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to educate and empower lower level staff.

Great company but management leaves a lot to be desired

Project Manager (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsThe company has many incredible people working for it and the technology is amazing. The work is varied and is rarely boring

ConsThe company is quickly becoming a victim of its own success by outgrowing their ability to serve their customers. Because every division is understaffed employees are being required to do superhuman efforts just to keep the customer's tools up and running.Because of this, salaried employees are regularly forced into working ridiculous overtime that they are not compensated or rewarded for in any way. The concept of work life balance does not exist.

It is a very political place to work, with battles between departments, divisions and geographic regions. Middle management has rarely been trained how to develop and get the most out of their employees. As a result, high quality employees are left stranded with nowhere to go but out. Career advancement is by and large impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementFEI has the potential to be an amazing place to work. Staff appropriately and invest in the company infrastructure so that people can spend less time firefighting, and more time preventing those fires in the first place.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Progressive values, ethics not practiced by all managers, not enforced unbiasedly by HR

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInitial pay and benefits are very good. Lots of good people working as colleagues (mostly in non-managerial positions).

ConsMid-upper management dictate overly optimistic sales quotas, and make other decisions, without input from the employees that do the work and often know more. Then when quotas not met, to satisfy their bosses, they overreact with reorganization layoffs, no heed paid to previous promises of adherence to long-term goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementApologize for being so pompous, then adopt a team mindset where you include the ideas of those beneath you.

Great company to work for

Engineer (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsGreat people and friendly environment. Lots of great work and interesting physics

ConsUnclear job roles and responsibilities

Advice to Senior ManagementMore structure and clearer job functions

up and down

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGood Pay. Excellent technology.Intelliigent workforce

ConsSmall work force compared to install base

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more service

Good company to work for. Cutting edge technology.

Product Marketing (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsGreat company to work for. Company is strong, well diversified and forward looking. Technologies are cutting edge and base products are leveraged to span multiple markets and industries. Company has good reserves and has invested heavily in (smaller) mergers and acquisitions in the past few years.

Little turnover and loyal employees, many return after going elsewhere. Very few RIFs in last several years, but the few that occurred are quiet and sudden. Good work life balance.

ConsSalaries are OK, but yearly increases across the board are small.

Driven to the shareholders

Technical (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsStock is soaring. Record profits quarter after quarter.
    Little turnover, big RIF's haven't happened in years, little ones are silent and sudden
    Interesting technology
    Some good groups to work in. Career is as good as your manager
    Company will be around for a long time to come.

ConsWe are told to take time to do things right, yet consistently firefighters are rewarded and those doing what we are suppose to are passed over for raises

Promotions are possible. Don't expect anything more than a title, almost nobody gets a salary bump, just more responsibilities and often are poorly reviewed by the group they exit.

Headquarters in US; but Europe dictates everything. See other reviews

Record profits all the time, lucky to get 2% raise and told employees are the greatest asset

Lower management often lies and there is no accountability

Lots of lower management have created empires that serve individual values, not their function. Don't question an empire or a cherished.

Actually told that to be a meets employee I need to consistently be there 8 am till 6 and 7 pm and weekends like everyone else, otherwise I'm not meeting the corporate published value statement

Open door doesn't exist. Speak out and your career is over

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat is presented in company meetings is awesome; however, the direct managers contradict what senior manager states. When questioned, I'm are told "that's what the company line is for the meetings, we will continue doing ... instead". Senior management is isolated from the realities of what their staff is actually doing

You hire very talented and intelligent folks, then insult their intelligence with conflicting statements across the board.

A good place to start the career

ProsVery friendly environment and colleagues

ConsVery slow raise and no big plan

Small company with great products

Business Development Manager (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsGreat pay and incentives plan

ConsSmall company, not many opportunities for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote your good people!

Worked for FEI? Contribute to the Community!