FEMA Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
102 reviews filtered by
3.2
Jason McNamara

Pros
  • Helping people when you are deployed (in 10 reviews)

• Great job and wonderful people to work with (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You work long hours and mostly the management simply doesn't seem to care how hard you work (in 6 reviews)

• Also, while on a disaster site you work long hour often seven days a week (in 3 reviews)

1. FEMA Project Specialist

Former Employee - Project Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at FEMA

Pros

I loved my job, and the pay rate.

Cons

I hated traveling so much and being away from home up to 10 months a year.

2. Summer Pathways Internsip

Former Intern - Summer Pathways in Oakland, CA
    Former Intern - Summer Pathways in Oakland, CA

I worked at FEMA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I loved interning with FEMA Region IX! Everyone at FEMA was so nice and passionate about their jobs. It was a wonderful introduction to government work and I would highly recommend this internship to anyone who wants to learn more about the operations of a federal branch. I was given a lot of responsibility, networking opportunities, and chances to be creative and innovative. The External Affairs team was particularly awesome and they really wanted to ensure that I had a positive internship experience and were extremely receptive to any ideas that I may have had. Senior leadership were also fairly accessible for mentoring and were extremely hardworking and kind hearted people.

Cons

There are very few cons! The biggest for me was the commute but that's entirely subjective.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! The internship program was great and I'm so glad I got the opportunity to join the regional team.

3. Great mission, horrible organization

Current Employee - Reponse
    Current Employee - Reponse

I have been working at FEMA

Pros

I moved to FEMA because I have a lifelong passion for emergency management and wanted to help survivors, once in a while you get to do that

Cons

Completely mismanaged at all levels, unqualified, uneducated staff. No upward mobility. The agency should get shut down with DHS there is no salvaging at this point.

Advice to Management

Quit

5. A gratifying and learning/fulfilling experience over a total of 12 years ending in 2004, Fluor Federal Services 2013.

I worked at FEMA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Experienced a variety of geographical areas, people and their backgrounds relating to infrastructure, proved to be very informative and enlightening. Served much time out in the pacific arena and across the country.

Cons

Serving within a large scale of government function, personal needs and opinions are more difficult to deliver to above management in a way to generate positive changes.

Advice to Management

Instill and advocate a system of operations that in fact demands input and opinions from the entire staffing within an outlined structure to ensure that total across the board input is heard.

6. Review, analyze, administer, negotiate, and award contracts.

Current Employee - Contract Specialist
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist

I have been working at FEMA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working to accomplish FEMA's Mission.

Cons

Rather not share at this time

Advice to Management

NA

7. Stay away. Far away!

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at FEMA as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I met some great people and there were some interesting projects that had great potential. There was also a pretty good work to life balance for most people.

Cons

- The environment is extremely political and is run through a "good old boy" methodology.
    - Constant cuts of contracting staff with little to no notice. It was so bad, some groups of contractors would only be given an hour of notice before they were cut.
    - Extremely bad morale among workers that aim to be productive. The attrition rate among talented staff is very high.
    - Too many silos with employees that want to protect their way of doing things even if it is not in the best interests of the taxpayer.
    - Very limited personal growth and mobility within the organization.
    - Old thought processes that are not easily broken.

This was by far the worst job I have EVER taken.

Stay far, far away if you:

- Get frustrated easily with waste of taxpayer dollars.
    - Take personal pride in what you do and want to surround yourself with those that are motivated to do better things.
    - Want upward growth potential and good training opportunities.
    - Would like some level of job stability as a contractor.

Advice to Management

Do not move the unproductive and disruptive around. Replace them with competent people.

8. Too much dysfunction

I have been working at FEMA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The salary is generous and the work is not boring at all.

Cons

Silos, cliques, disparity in treatment based on appointment, processes and systems that inhibit efficiency and innovation.

Advice to Management

Cultivate an environment that doesn't create class system based on PFT, CORE, Reservists and time with the Agency or how many disasters/deployments worked.

9. Good Place for Government Work

Former Employee - Branch Chief in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Branch Chief in Washington, DC

I worked at FEMA

Pros

There is a real sense of mission for most that work there. The leadership over the last few years is genuinely interested in improving the capabilities of the organization.

Cons

The is still some government employee dead weight, people simply waiting to retire. This is sometimes problematic because they are visible de-motivators for the rest of the staff. The Peter Principle does apply in some cases.

Advice to Management

Listen to you good staff.

10. Working as a reservist for FEMA

Current Contractor - Reservist in Washington, DC
    Current Contractor - Reservist in Washington, DC

I have been working at FEMA as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Traveling and meeting new people is a great experience. When disaster strikes, you get deployed around the country to help people get back on their feet. It is an amazing feeling to know that you can help someone and working as a reservist gives you that opportunity.

Cons

Deployment don't happen too often. You can wait for a deployment for months. When you get a request to deploy, it may happen in the least expected time and you may not even respond to it due to other life circumstances.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for reservists.

11. FEMA

I worked at FEMA

Pros

lots of good experience, working with people who have been around it all, great exposure, interesting concepts. All in all working for FEMA is awesome....if you can get in.

Cons

Veterans preference is a difficult situation; especially in STUDENT positions. It's almost impossible to land a job with FEMA if you don't have multiple years experience or previously worked in law enforcement/military/FEMA. They say it's hard to get into the government, but this is ridiculous. And it doesn't matter who you know, they won't help you get into FEMA. As long as they're in, they don't care about anyone else.

Advice to Management

Consider more recent graduate for hire.