FEMA

www.fema.gov

FEMA Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Jason McNamara

Pros
  • Helping people when you are deployed(in 9 reviews)

• Good training programs and exposure to different sub cultures in our nation(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • You work long hours and mostly the management simply doesn't seem to care how hard you work(in 5 reviews)

• Also, while on a disaster site you work long hour often seven days a week(in 3 reviews)

I heard first hand about the lost and need of help others needed to recover from their loses.

Emergency Management Specialist (Former Employee) West Hyattsville, MD

ProsI talked with people and my co-workers that touch my heart in some many ways.

ConsAll the work done at the time of Hurricane Katrina was to help people during the disaster.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be their when others need you. Thank you

Bureaucracy at it's finest

Planner (Former Employee)

Prossalary, perks, per diem, help people

Conswork conditions, 24 hour on call, predjudiced

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring your friends and get qualified people to do the job.

These people depend on disasters to have their jobs!

Applicant Services (Former Employee) Forest Hills, NY

Prosthe overtime! if you are hired right after a major disaster strikes your area, you are in luck if you like to work overtime! it will be 12 hours a day, 6 days a week for at least two months (depend on the size of the disaster.)

Consin fema, there are "reservists" and "local hire". local hires are local people they needed to hire for a few months to share the work load. reservists are people from all over the country that fly to the area to work. no disaster = no works for them! so they will try to stay there as long as they can (and earn that overtime!) if you are a local hire, you are mostly out of luck, you will be the first to leave the job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not your avarage job.

Network Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsI liked traveling around the country. Made many good friends. Liked the flexibility of the old DEA program.

ConsAfter the change in the DEA program, no advancement. Grueling hours. Senior management more concerned with looking good than they are actually doing a good job. Incredible waste and inefficiency.

FEMA Local Hire - IT Support

IT Specialist (Former Employee) Forest Hills, NY

ProsAs a local hire, brought on for Sandy relief efforts, I had a very positive and fun experience working with the CORE and Reserve employees. Being in IT support is the best job to have. You eventually meet everyone and, when you leave them, you have just solved a problem for them so they are appreciative.

ConsLearning a billion acronyms and what they mean...seriously, I had to stop entire conversations and say, "What the hell does ABCDLMNOP mean again?" Learning them only comes with experience. Secondly, it's the government so, things change from one day to the next. They told me I would be there for two years...turns out it was 4 1/2 months. I'd still do it again. Great people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the local hires until the end of the disaster. Sandy was managed differently from previous disasters. My gut tells me that the CORE & Reserve employees were having such a great time in NY that the upper managers allowed them to stay longer, even though there were local hires trained and capable of taking over. Favoritism occurred, not doubt.

They don't practice what they preach

FEMA - Community Relations/External Affairs (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsI loved being deployed out to disasters, and helping survivors. I loved being part of FEMA HQ, and I learned a lot in training.

ConsThey insisted for many years that people follow ICS. Part of that is using common terminology. During Hurricane Sandy, I was disturbed to find that they'd chosen to change the terminology and position names. It was not in keeping with ICS at all. After getting police, fire, EMS and the MILITARY on board with learning ICS, it was a bad decision to change things around.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing favorites with certain people. There are a large number of qualified personnel who were able to forward the mission of Disaster Response that FEMA has. They allowed incompetent people to be placed in positions they were unable to perform. Look at the TOTAL amount of training - not just from the "Workbooks" and FEMA training, but also people who've performed disaster response as part of their normal job.

Motivated People Brought to Mediocrity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMentally stimulating work. Because the work flow depends on congressional mid-course adjustments, new policies are always providing new things to focus on. That said, the fluctuations are also a negative. Surrounded by smart people who believe in the agency's mission.

ConsPeople burn out way too fast due to poor management. Managers maintain limited visibility on what their staff is working on other than the trivial details (think "Office Space" but not funny). There is an apparent lack of caring about the morale of staff, and working extra hard can get you in extra trouble. Very strange cronyism.

Good people to work with. Takes time to move up.

Services Specialist (Former Employee) Hyattsville, MD

ProsYour working to help people in need. I worked in Disaster Assistance, so the people you talk to our really in need of help and support. Access to training at the Emergency Management Institute.

ConsCall volume can get heavy and sometimes management is super critical.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of have been on the other side of the table, and no we don't have control over who we speak to, so take that into account before telling us how we are not doing our job correctly.

It's the Government

NFIP Flood Adjuster (Current Employee) Navarre, FL

ProsHelping people, scheduling freedom, pay is good, Traveling from state to state, being able to see the country, working with different communities.

ConsTraining for this job is really lacking, they do not have enough consistency, want to screw people and not help them every step of the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more cut and dry articles in policies to help people in general

FEMA, Chronyism

ProsMission is great and rewarding

ConsChronyism, Favoritism, Nepotism all run rampid in FEMA Logistics. Butt Kissers and glad handers are promoted, DC centric.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransfer all SES management staff to another agency.

Worked for FEMA? Contribute to the Community!