FEV

3.5

FEV President & CEO Stefan Pischinger
Stefan Pischinger

17 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

A pretty good company. Good people and lots of learning Opportunities.

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at FEV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A small company that has great people and a nice work environment. If you can work unsupervised and like it, great place to work. Benefits are good and pay OK. The freedom, the diverse projects and the learning potential are worth the price of admission. If you can take the ball and run with it, this is a great place to be.

Cons

Somewhat unworkable business model for this size company. Company is divided into separate business units that compete against each other. On paper it sounds good, but the company is too small in the states to work well like this. If each business unit was large enough to be self sufficient as in Germany it would work here. Hard to turn a profit when your unit has to pay for another units expertise at the street price. It is normally less expensive to go to outside vendors. This concept works against the success of the company.

Review your business unit approach in the states. There is not enough depth of expertise to units to be self sufficient. There's a problem when business units go to outside vendors for projects that could be done in-house only because it saves a little money. You need to focus on keeping work in-house and let the business units work together at a reduced cost. You need to encourage team work and team building, not individual business unit success at all costs!

Career Suicide

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at FEV full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get paid to surf the web but ultimately become irrelevant and you won't have enough skills to leverage your way into a better job.

Cons

The work isn't very progressive with the changes in industry. To be honest, everyone pretty much hates it here. Even before Gary Rogers was fired, there hasn't been much work, and the company is stuck in some very old management styles. I see a lot of people with their Master's Degree doing Technician level work here. Really just a freaking depressing atmosphere to be here. It's hard to see them still be in business while still being overstaffed and have so few projects. A LOT of turnover. Stay far away, it's getting a lot worse. The DGE acquisition will only make things harder considering the cultures don't mesh very well.

Give us a reason to come to work. Invest in your employees so that they stop leaving. Get work.

Engineering Assistant

I have been working at FEV as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, good manager, projects keep coming in, great scope to learn to start your career

Cons

not enough exposure at least in the heavy duty department as an intern

please expose interns in the heavy duty department and let them attend meetings, try to have more interaction with them.

Declining fast. The management has lost touch with the employees. Sees them as a number, and can be replaced.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at FEV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

What once was, is no longer. Hard to find a smile on an employee's face there. The benefits are the only plus. But that too will be changing

Cons

Out of touch management. Inferior equipment and outdated practices. Work environment is tough and middle management expects miracles from its employees

You need to figure out that your people are your company. If you want to reverse the slide in happy employees the are motivated, concentrate on them

Great introduction to an office environment

Former Intern - Engineering Assistant in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Intern - Engineering Assistant in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at FEV as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

This was my first internship, while I was studying at Kettering University. It was very easy to get used to the atmosphere and dynamics of the office. I felt appreciated and generally had enough to keep me busy. The guys in the shop area were also very welcoming and I really enjoyed learning from their years of expertise.

Cons

As this was my first internship, I expected to be guided and mentored. This was not the case all the time as I had to find things out the "hard way." Being so young it would have been nice to have a little more guidance, although the hand's off approach did prepare me for the future. Also the upper management was not very tactically or politically saavy. At one of the town hall meetings the CEO of North America stated, "There are thousands of people lining up to take your job, so if you want to leave there's the door." Much of this seemingly cold and unattached sentiment probably came from the sad state of the economy at the time.

There could have been a better plan in place for the internship progress. Also better communication and empathy for employees.

Pretty Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Engine Development Technician in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Engine Development Technician in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at FEV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

FEV has a nice laid back atmosphere. The pay and benefits are very competitive. The projects are very diverse since work is not based on just a single manufacturer or supplier.

Cons

Being a smaller company, FEV can not afford to use cutting edge equipment at all times so you will be forced to work with equipment that is functional and accurate but not exactly modern.

Be a little more transparent with lower level employees.

Looking for experience , this is the place

I have been working at FEV as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

whatever you do in FEV are Pros. It s very good learning experience and you will be give full responsibility of the project if you show you have the potential to handle it all on your own.

Cons

Very less growth in the organization. Most of the work is done by intern and there is less chance to convert the intern to full-time as they always have students from Aachen University, Germany available at lower labor cost.

It is a fun and friendly environment.

Current Intern - IT in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Intern - IT in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at FEV as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The company is not too large and getting to know people is easy. Everybody is kind and will strike up a conversation.

Cons

Some days can be less active and can drag on for a while. If there is not much to do on a ceratin day then finding tasks may be difficult.

Great

I have been working at FEV as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Work Culture is really good.

Cons

Salaries are too low for the amount of work people do.

Awesome

Current Intern - Engineering Assistant in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at FEV as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Hands on experience on aftertreatment calibration in diesel engines

Cons

Nothing as of now. Everything looks great