FGS

Updated December 9, 2014

Randy Johnson

AV Engineer

I have been working at FGS

Pros

Small business. Family like atmosphere.

Cons

Promotions, Job Security, retention, middle managment

Best Company I've Worked With!

I have been working at FGS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Generous compensation package, excellent benefits, no-nonsense leadership, and plenty of opportunities for advancement...it all spells F-G-S. This is a steadily growing company that has something for anyone hoping to make it the "old fashioned way"--through hard work and determination. Company is steered by a cadre of talented and visible director-level executives (our director is readily accessible) and served by a talented and helpful corporate staff. Leadership and management skills are important here; training is regularly made available for supervisors through HR-provided online courses. Top performers are recognized through leadership opportunities, bonuses, and/or increases. Marginal performance isn't tolerated, but there are processes in place to rehabilitate employees who are willing to improve. FGS draws a hard line on substandard performance and unacceptable behavior, and staff who have proven either unable or unwilling to comply with the company's standards have been asked to leave. The CEO is a gentleman who places worker satisfaction at a level co-equal to the company's bottom line. This is my fourth company and my favorite among all of those by a wide margin.

Cons

Dealing with the disruptive influences that elude interviewers but insinuate themselves into a work environment after only a few weeks or months on the job. Not sure if anything can even be done about this problem besides letting the process weed out these people, but it is definitely a "con".

Keep up the good work!

FGS is all about money, and will do ANYTHING to get it! The WORST contracting company in the DOD

I have been working at FGS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lucky to work in some good contracts and money is good, so long as you don't rock the boat.

Cons

I’ve been a senior level analyst in the community for several years, and I’ve never seen a place like this. This organization is fundamentally built on corruption and fear. There is no escape, unless you drink the kool-aid and sell out, or if you happen to get some special treatment.

1. Corruption at all levels. All they care about is money and appearances. Leadership will do ANYTHING to get it including breaking promises to their employees and screwing them over.
    2. Lots of malign harassment, threats, gossip, internal politics, backstabbing, and childish antics. At all levels, the company thrives on making you live in constant fear. The only people who actually like it and do well here are the leadership, who do this stuff. Lots of special treatment in exchange for “special favors.” If you refuse, you get hosed.
    3. Once you work here you will never get out alive with honor. I've been looking for a new job, but I’m afraid to leave because they might try to screw me over somehow. One guy put in his two weeks and then they fired him in response.

If you want your career to end, come here.

Listen to what people are saying. I am stuck but I only hope that people can get a clue by listening to what everyone is saying.

General Thoughts

I have been working at FGS

Pros

FGS is all about integrity, it's employees and it's customers.

Cons

Defense contracting makes it hard to plan a career. FGS is no different than any other contractor.

Good company with civilian sector competitive salaries

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer

I have been working at FGS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

• As a proactive engineer the company allows you implement better working solutions.
    • Great communication with down range leadership.
    • Small company so you really get to know people in your division.
    • They hire higher caliber technicians and engineers.
    • Flexible hours as long as the customer authorize the flexibility.
    • Good coworkers. They make it a pleasure to come to work. Kind of like hanging out with friends that happen to be into IT as much as you.

Cons

• Could do better in recognizing high performers.
    • Could do better in establishing goals and timelines for projects.

• Point out high performers. Competition between employees can be a good thing is presented correctly.
    • Invest in employees that seem to be “go to” or “go getters” it builds a brand and employee loyalty.
    • Base salary raises by work performance and do not try to be fair to everyone. Those who work hard should be compensated for the work they do over those who are non performers.

Going downhill from a company that cared about people to a company that cares about the bottom line.

Current Employee - Future Non Employee (That Could BE Anyone!)
    Current Employee - Future Non Employee (That Could BE Anyone!)

I have been working at FGS full-time

Pros

Pay well, some fairly sharp and nice people also. Emphasizing the word "some".

Cons

Always have had a lot of Nepotism. Also a lot of favoritism, not very professional at times. Short term thinking cheap penny pinchers. Hired some complete morons which leaves the competent people to do all the work while they pay uneducated "recommended by a buddy" people the same pay as people who are highly educated, credentialed, ect. Slap in the face to those who further themselves. Also promise training and investment in the employee but all words.... never happens.

Good luck in continuing to get contracts when you are treating your talent like crap. Very short term thinking. Prediction: FGS will be gone in 3-5 years.

No longer a respected company

I worked at FGS full-time

Pros

few pros anymore
    some very nice ple wrk here but they aren't appreciated
    mice office locations

Cons

bloated salaries for most sr. execs
    current ldrship not knowledgeable abt gov't contracting
    severe lack of communication
    a good ole boy ldrship practice

get a clue - you have destroyed a company that used to have promise
    look up honesty, integrity, professionalism in the dictionary

MIxed

I worked at FGS

Pros

Family feel, CEO concern, relaxed work environment

Cons

Inconsistent HR policies, limited empowerment

Communicate where the company is going more than once a year

Company that had vision then lost it Going downhill FAST. Only DESPERATE should apply! Only use as a stepping stone.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Mány (Hungary)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Mány (Hungary)

I worked at FGS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Brent Snyder is no longer CEO...He truly cared about people. Driven out for putting people ahead of profits. Probably justified but his heart was in the right place no doubt. The loyalty he instilled cannot be found in companies anymore. They pay pretty well but pay incompetent moron's the same as talented folks. Very insulting to sharp people.

Cons

No long term vision. Can't see past last week's numbers. Probably will be gone very soon. NO loyalty except to ex-enlisted pals and other cronies. Current CEO all talk... Sounds very caring, but truly doesn't care about anything but how he looks to owners. Very political, all perception. Ex-Senior Enlisted- over his head. Yes man, not true leader. They will slash personnel until no decent one's remain. Soon to be an ex-company.

Quit hiring incompetent people, recognize and RETAIN talent. I'm sure it falls on deaf ears but good luck on hiring decent people when you don't take care of anyone but management.

Good place to start

I worked at FGS

Pros

I loved working for the company, it has a real small family type vibe and has big plans for expansion in the future.

Cons

Although FGS was a great company to work for, the influx of newly retired military personnel hurt growth within my division. Rather then follow industry standard practices my managers chose to implement rules and policies based on their military experiences. Also, many employees who had be hired to fill specific roles were shifted and nudged out by office politics, mostly because most of the team had served together at one time and were leery of outsiders.

I did appreciate the opportunities offered by FGS, however their were two issues that I did have with management:
    1: Policies were not clearly stated in regard to work hours or duties, therefore as a salaried employee you were expected to be at work early and often past your assigned shift without comp time. Also team member roles were not clearly defined.
    2: Although the statement of work of the contract may change, please don't put employees in a bad position by promising the client that work can be performed within the scope of the contract even though you don't have the personnel with the right training, skills or abilities to perform the work. Many long shifts and headaches could have been avoided if vendor training was provided to the workers in the field rather than management, who then never taught anyone else the skills they learned.