FGX International Reviews

Cesar Melp

Current P.T. employee of FGX for 3 years

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Warren, MI

I have been working at FGX International part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Semi flexible. Work alone. Weekly pay.

Cons

No reimbursement for paper or ink used on computer. To many changes last minute. No quick communication with home office. Time per project unreasonable sometimes. To many projects at once which turns my p.t. job into f.t.which doesnt work with my schedule.

Adjust projects so not all at same time. Email or quick note on ross for quick communication. Some type of reimbursement for computer ink used. Adjust accounts to even out per week.

This is not a company I wanted to represent.

Former Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Boston, MA

I worked at FGX International part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay wasn't bad, flexible schedule, macro managed.

Cons

training took way too long. I was there for three months and still wasn't trained on everything. They waste too much paper! I would receive packages all the time with credit inventory papers and things that I just did not need. In this era of smartphones, we can simply input everything into our phones we definitely do not need to print everything, like the huge employee book I was given. They need to update their system.
    During a day of training I was working with another employee, who showed up DRUNK, with a ripped shirt and dirty pants. On another day of training I was to work with another employee, who did not show up. I was told I would be paid for the time but I was never paid. After that, I knew that this was not the company I wanted to be associated with.

Train your employees! Even online video tutorials would be better than nothing.

No Leadership

Current Employee - Director Level in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Director Level in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at FGX International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some incredible people working there

Cons

No Leadership from ANY Executive. Focus is on Hierarchy and EGO. Inability to see big picture.

Change the culture and actually get a LEADER in there.

Over-worked & Under-paid & Under-Appreciated!!

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser

I have been working at FGX International part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A few of the accounts are still on a flexible schedule. Otherwise, if you like spontaneity you will enjoy the surprise of having to check your schedule daily to see if you have work to do that day.

Cons

Everything would have been okay if they hadn't started this new DYS program.

We drive our own vehicles, get no paid time between stores, no mileage/fuel reimbursement (which you know before you're hired) & you are required to have a cell phone, internet service, as well as a printer for printing all the needed paperwork on our own printer using your ink, etc. None of which is company paid/provided. Basically, you should have a home office too because they expect you to keep store records. They pay you a "admin premium" per store that is supposed to reimburse you for printing? time spent reporting? time spent on the phone calling retail support? I don't know because I don't know how far they think $2.55 goes. And now with their new DYS program...you can do all your work for the week then still are expected to go online every day to check to see if anything else has popped up for the week?? No. That's ridiculous.

There is no opportunity to advance. They expect such loyalty from reps to bend over backwards. Short notice on upcoming projects which will invade any plans you may have already in progress.

Unrealistic expectations for the amount of work they want you to get done in a VERY short amount of time.
    Example, in one of the accounts, you get in let's say 150 pieces. 50 pairs of sunglasses, which you get 30 minutes for, but let's just look at the reading glasses portion right now... 100 pieces of reading glasses and you have 20 minutes to reorganize the glasses back to POG (put the glasses on the right pegs) get the individually plastic-wrapped glasses unwrapped & displayed, dust the fixture & product, record your inventory update information and Damage Theft Report(manually to enter at home on YOUR time) & dispose of trash. If you're a new rep, that's equals about $3.35. Then the sunglasses fixture 30 minutes, same thing, straighten them out, see what you're low on, record damages & theft to report at home... Pays a brand new rep about $5. You don't get paid for the time it takes at home to report your inventory updates & DTR, just that $2.55 premium per store. So this store just paid $10.90 total and it's 15 miles from your house. How much money did you make??? See what I mean?

Another con... When you have issues, like missing signage, your DM will tell you to call it in to retail support. So you call it in and it never comes. So your DM walks into the account the following month & asks where the missing sign is. Questions if you've called it in & tells you to keep calling it in every week until they send it. Yeah, I don't have time for that. If they paid me as a FT rep, I would get paid to do that, but I call my stuff in once a month when that store is serviced and when I get paid to do it. Another example of unrealistic expectations.

Most importantly... It's ALWAYS the reps fault. Most accounts we visit only once a month. I was asked why I didn't have any sales in one of my stores. Really? Once a month visits for 45 minutes and you want me to analyze sales? And there's the unrealistic part again.

Get rid of that new DYS program. As under paid as reps were already, you think they're going to just wait til the last minute to get up in the morning & see if a store is "green" so they'll know whether they need to work that day. Most people don't have these PT merchandising jobs because the like the work. They do it, like I did, for the flexibility with scheduling. The DYS program kinda sends that right out the window. People can't PLAN their schedules around that. Pay a decent SALARY, offer decent benefits, & hire some FT reps if you want that kind of loyalty from your employees, but PT reps making what we make per hour, driving our own vehicles, providing our own cell phones, internet service, home offices, etc... we don't make enough money to justify this new spontaneous schedule changing nonsense!

it's a job. Many unappreciated years.

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser

I have been working at FGX International part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility, work/family balance,autonomy on the job, pay a little better than retail, quality products

Cons

Expectations are unrealistic, costs of printing, time spent on planning not recouped, unrealistic time given for many projects. No flexibility on returns. All stores don't sell the same products effectively, how about giving a little latitude to reps on ordering and POG?
    Communication is in one direction ONLY! No benefits for the field reps.

Realize the potential benefits of your field reps. Ask and listen to their ideas. Space out projects instead of all at once. work out the kinks before sending the projects out. How about an email communication with retail support? We don't all work on EST.
    How about a few benefits for merchandisers?? Maybe even a newsletter or something? Just found out last week that we got a new CEO LAST MARCH!

Very little training and poor internal communication

I have been working at FGX International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large company with a great history
    Great co-workers

Cons

It takes a long time to get a response from your internal support departments - people just don't reply to e-mail
    No training or support - everyone is "too" busy to give you anytime

Have management in the home office more often so they are available to their team. Put a 24 hour response time in place.

marketing & design

I worked at FGX International

Pros

This company is going through growing pains and the balance of life/carer is difficult.

Cons

Growth is also very exiting and FGX is a leader in their field and financially well supported by Essilor of France.

Keep in mind the balance of family and career

Keep moving, it's an Old Boys club. Unprofessional environment

I have been working at FGX International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Health benefits are good. For the most part, co-workers are friendly.

Cons

Poor leadership from top down. Too much office politics and it gets in the way of accomplishing tasks. Antiquated system and processes. Too many figure pointing, no accountability. There is something to be said when employees feels they need to keep knowledge to themselves to maintain job security. When only one person can perform a task and if that individual is on PTO or out unexpectedly, workflow comes to a halt or move at a snail pace. Employees feel the need to archive every email to CYA. Good employees leave or let go. There are very few managers who will take the time to train new hires thorougly, otherwise it is sink or swim in this place. The number of years you have been with the complany is celebrated over the quality of work.

Stop celebrating mediocrity and get a clue. Sweeping issues under the rug doesn't mean the issue has been resolve. In order to grow, get rid of the dead weights and replace them with smart, innovative, PROFESSIONAL, educated individuals.

DM needs replacment

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at FGX International part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None other then you work by yourself

Cons

They want you to print off your own paperwork without compensation and be on DEMAND for special projects. No mileage is reimbursed. The communication is poor between the DM and the Reps.

Dont expect pt employees to be on call for your special projects,When you only offer a few regular hours each month you cannot expect your reps to sit around all day when a project doesn't go according to plan. reimburse your reps for milage and paperwork as well as administrative time. I spent 45 minutes printing out paperwork today that I will not be reimbursed for. the $2 door fee does not cover this. Expect your DM's to be more organized and clear about expectations. Also, expect them to prove in writing what these expectations are. I just spoke to my DM who claims they told me one thing when I have a witness to being told something else. Get your self together or you will surely go out of business when you cannot find reps to merchandise your product!

Crazy

I worked at FGX International part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good for Mothers who need a part time job

Cons

Special Projects can fill up your week and makes other employment schedule take a dive

Why do new supervisors need to hire a new team? Is it people they know from the last job they had while the old crew gets booted out.