FHI 360 Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014
3.2

Patrick C. Fine

Pros
  • Great people and pleasant balanced work environment (in 6 reviews)

• comparable compensation to other orgs; great benefits (12% contribution to pension (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work load, non-profit salary, high turnover (in 5 reviews)

• Less job security and favoritism/nepotism for certain staff (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, good opportunities, excellent work

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at FHI 360 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Supportive family-friendly environment with flexible schedules, excellent benefits. Really high quality development work produced by some great minds and committed people. Good opportunities to grow, travel, learn, and get to know the industry.

Cons

Cons are what you'd find at any company this size - a lot of bureaucratic hurdles, paperwork, growing pains trying to nail down a strategy, poor internal communication. Also, the pros above can be inconsistent depending on your department/team/supervisor. Hard to streamline and make things consistent for 4,000 companies in 50+ countries. But overall a good place to work.

As expressed elsewhere, give new and younger staff more opportunities to advance and contribute meaningfully. Invest in values like impact and innovation. Reward great leadership and initiative.

Worked at FHI 360 for about two years

I worked at FHI 360 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are good. Co-workers are generally friendly and cooperative.

Cons

Executive and upper management are out of touch with middle management and below. Not receptive to suggestions about change and improvement. When confronted with suggested changes, management seemed insulted and blamed problems on lower level employees.

Hire capable employees in management who should be able to do their job effectively. Management spends too much time and money on retreats which were shown time and time again to be ineffective.

Limited opportunities for entry level

Current Employee - Program Officer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at FHI 360 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The mission of the organization is great as well as they staff. Everyone is very committed to their work and the breadth of projects at FHI 360 make it a very interesting place to work.

Cons

Departments are still adjusting from the acquisition of AED, and our new country based model moved most backstopping positions overseas so there are not as many entry level positions (Program Assistant/Program Officer) at the organization.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Entry level, then left for more promising opportunities

Former Employee - Program Officer I  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Officer I in Washington, DC

I worked at FHI 360 full-time for more than a year

Pros

FHI 360 is a quality organization with inspired employees, motivated leaders and a secured place in the future of international development. It is a company in transition that has a bright future. You will meet some amazing people who have dedicated their careers to improving the lives of people around the world. From an entry level standpoint, this company will introduce you to the highs and lows of the profession. The younger subset of the office is active and thriving; there are many people to meet and interact with in and out of the office. This is a fantastic place to learn and grow.

Cons

Some employees (especially former AED people) are disgruntled. The senior leadership is making very serious overtures to the rank and file but it does not seem to resonate.

FHI 360's population pyramid is bloated in the middle and the top, and it is hard to advance quickly as an entry level employee. For some, this is fine; certain employees who join at the entry level want to get some great experience and then move on to other things (they will; and do). But to retain talent, and keep young professionals from jumping to other firms, FHI 360 needs to start promoting young talent at a faster pace. There is a large portion of the company that is there because of seniority and little else. Make FHI 360 a vibrant meritocracy, with a more limited regard to age, and this sleeping giant will start to stir.

Internship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at FHI 360 as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great working atmosphere. The staff are friendly

Cons

Length of internship is short

Finance Officer

Former Employee - Finance Officer II  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Finance Officer II in Washington, DC

I worked at FHI 360 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good environment /Good organization with complete room to grow

Cons

Company has the tendency to replace senior executive a lot within short term period.

Great organization, but not without its problems.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at FHI 360 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work is interesting and the staff are committed. I am able to take time off whenever I want for however long and I have a great relationship with my coworkers. Everyone works hard and I've never felt like I'm picking up the slack for anyone. The staff make FHI a great place to work. Because our work tends to be integrated, you have the opportunity to work across topic areas and with different groups and teams, so you can learn a lot and really build your knowledge-base. You are implementing work that sometimes has high-visibility, so that experience in itself can boost your career. Overall, FHI has been my preferred employer in comparison to the last few organizations I've worked for.

Cons

The leadership isn't great. It often feels as if they're just not engaged with their staff and are not concerned with their development, even though the staff are the ones winning the awards that keep this non-profit going. They have not come up with a way to retain talented workers after projects end, so unfortunately, they keep losing them. There are few opportunities to move up, especially if you are project-based. You're lucky if you have continuous employment from project to project, which leads people to take on way too much work with unrealistically low levels of time (levels of effort). The acquisition of AED did make things more challenging and FHI is still trying to work it out. I think eventually it will. But overall, you really need to be an opportunist and go-getter to thrive here b/c often it might feel like you have no mentorship and no one looking out for you.

Figure out a way to retain talented staff between projects. Also, perhaps if more opportunities existed (funded by an FCO other than the departmental account which is limited) to cross-train staff in other areas you would not have a revolving door of talent and would have more satisfied employees. You should also be making it a priority for your staff to grow and develop their skill-set. Also, some supervisors make it very difficult for their staff to be promoted and I think this is because there is little to no guidance (or it's too vague) and so, in my opinion, you have staff in certain departments who are underpaid for the market. Also, there seems to be a culture of understaffing projects (regarding LOE). We're asked to do substantial amounts of work with 5 and 10% LOE, which is ridiculous. You end up having an insane workload and then nothing gets done on time. I think there should be a minimum amount of time a person is on a project, something like 25% and project leadership need to figure out how to use their staff more efficiently.

I like the mission of FHI360 but not how they treat their employees; especially the designers.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Washington, DC

I worked at FHI 360 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Having your work showcased in third world countries.

Cons

Very poor and small working environment.

Get it together.

Great benefits, great people; still limping from merger

Current Employee - Senior Technical Officer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at FHI 360 full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have colleagues I deeply respect and really like as people. I enjoy being at the office and I'm not (so) sad when it's Monday morning. But it is a huge organization so it depends on your department.

Also the benefits, as others have noted, as are good as it gets in our industry and better than many of our competitors. And I enjoy working in Dupont Circle.

Cons

With a new CEO, we may have some hope for a positive emergence from the mess of the merger, after which morale dropped like a rock. Waffling on decisions about restructuring the company has led to confusion. The movement toward field office-centered program management is probably a wise move, but it does mean fewer positions at HQ in Washington, and there is no sugarcoating that.

Patrick Fine can demonstrate some quick wins to show people things are going to change. Demonstrate that health programming does not get a priority over other sectors--this carries the whiff of FHI's dominance over the AED acquired departments.

Great work

I have been working at FHI 360

Pros

Great people and pleasant balanced work environment

Cons

Management with minimal real world business experience

Worked for FHI 360? Contribute to the Community!