FHI 360

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Albert J Siemens

Pros:
  • "Friendly environment, Great people to work with"
    in 5 reviews
  • "comparable compensation to other orgs; great benefits (12% contribution to pension"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "work load, non-profit salary, high turnover"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Multiple firings over the past couple years at the senior management level has not instilled confidence in the company as a whole"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people, but poor managment...

Program Officer II (Former Employee)

I worked at FHI 360 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- great organization for entry-level employees to get their foot in the door
- comparable compensation to other orgs; great benefits (12% contribution to pension!)
- interesting and challenging projects
- people at HQ and country offices are amazing to work with

Cons- bureaucratic
- not much room for growth after certain level; a lot of people leave and come back for higher level jobs
- acquisition with AED was a nightmare and continues to be messy; lots of disorganization
- roles and responsibilities of HQ departments not clearly delineated; program staff take on all realms of responsibility

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to make hard decisions and stick with them; initiate job progression charts and processes for staff. too much talent is lost due to stagnant job growth.

Great experience!

I worked at FHI 360

ProsThe projects are interesting and can potentially help a large group of people

ConsGrowth within the company isn't easy.

Good people, interesting work

I have been working at FHI 360 full-time

ProsEveryone cares about what we do. It's an organization of 4,000+ people, and nearly every one of them is invested in making the world a good place. The work-life balance is really respected. Business is stable, despite being project-based which inherently means some fluctuations. The benefits are jaw-droppingly good (18-23 vacation days, 12 sick days, 10 holidays, extensive health coverage, 12% contribution to retirement, etc).

ConsLike most big organizations, there are people who can be dumb or rude; there are processes that can make you want to pull your hair out; your professional growth path can be ambiguous

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on making the organization well run.

Satisfied

I have been working at FHI 360

Prosenvironment, culture, people, opportunity, meaningful work

Conswork load, non-profit salary, high turnover

Worked in the office in Liberia

I worked at FHI 360

ProsOpportunities to work in many locations around the world

ConsVery little chance for advancement or lateral movement. Underpaid for my position, after leaving the company my position was advertised as a senior management position with salary benefits never offered to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider revisiting compensation structure for ex-pats hired locally in the country

Depressing work environment, and lots of unhappy employees.

I worked at FHI 360 as an intern for more than a year

ProsMany of the projects at FHI 360 are interesting and have to the potential to really help people. Some people (mostly lower-level staff) are positive and good to work with. Excellent benefit package.

ConsIf you haven't been with FHI 360 for a very long time, good luck moving up in the company. Even PhDs were spending their days doing busy work. I worked in two separate departments and both experienced high turnover, miserable employees, and little support.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to, respect, and value your younger and/or newer employees.

Executive leadership team still disastrous; who would join as COO? Squandered resources.

I have been working at FHI 360 full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople in the ranks and in the field are wonderful, though many super talented staff continue to leave. Benefits are great. In some people there are remnants of the heart and soul of the previous companies.

ConsAlmost everything about executive management and internal processes remain a huge mess after 3 years of merger. Siemens leaving can only be a good thing (FINALLY!) but he will still be around somehow. His special minions in high and medium management also need to go. HR is the worst. There is little hope for the medium and long term.

They keep talking about adapting to a new environment but it is run like an old mom and pop store. Upper level incompetence is shocking yet rewarded. Read the other negative posts here. They are right! The only new restructuring needed is to get rid of most of the executive management. Such squandered resources and opportunities! Most people in both Durham and DC unhappy...still!

Advice to Senior ManagementThey hear advice all the time and ignore it. Why try here?

I've had the opportuniy to learn and develope new skills.

Program Officer III (Current Employee)

I have been working at FHI 360 full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStaff cultural and background diversity.

ConsNon-profit salaries and very small increases. If you want to grow fast you need to leave the company and come back to re-negotiate a new salary. Otherwise, you will keep having 3% annual increases (if you are really awesome and your supervisor has the budget for it).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou gotta pay more or cover outside offers in order to keep your real talents. Take a closer look and listen to what people are saying about those directors whose departments turnover is above the average.

Difficult times

ProsGood Field work and Resources

ConsExtremely problematic and poor leadership. As a result, the org lost high caliber staff, especially after the merger and within business development division. Difficult to forge new partnerships with FHI360. It tends to overinflate its capabilities and work in every sector.

Multiple directors, presidents, and other senior management that have been around for decades, which make the organization top heavy and expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has been incapable of restructuring itself and ridding itself of unnecessary staff. There's little hope unless they are forced to do it by a lack of funding or Board approval. Even then, leadership would protect their own jobs.

Program Officer

I have been working at FHI 360

ProsOpen to new graduates for certain positions.

ConsThe salaries do not necessarily match the your experience level.

Worked for FHI 360? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FHI 360 reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FHI 360 CEO Albert J Siemens. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by FHI 360 employees.