FHI 360

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Patrick C. Fine

Pros
  • Friendly environment, Great people to work with (in 6 reviews)

• comparable compensation to other orgs; great benefits (12% contribution to pension (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work load, non-profit salary, high turnover (in 5 reviews)

• Senior management cannot seem to commit to a direction or decision (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great organization, but not without its problems.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsThe work is interesting and the staff are committed. I am able to take time off whenever I want for however long and I have a great relationship with my coworkers. Everyone works hard and I've never felt like I'm picking up the slack for anyone. The staff make FHI a great place to work. Because our work tends to be integrated, you have the opportunity to work across topic areas and with different groups and teams, so you can learn a lot and really build your knowledge-base. You are implementing work that sometimes has high-visibility, so that experience in itself can boost your career. Overall, FHI has been my preferred employer in comparison to the last few organizations I've worked for.

ConsThe leadership isn't great. It often feels as if they're just not engaged with their staff and are not concerned with their development, even though the staff are the ones winning the awards that keep this non-profit going. They have not come up with a way to retain talented workers after projects end, so unfortunately, they keep losing them. There are few opportunities to move up, especially if you are project-based. You're lucky if you have continuous employment from project to project, which leads people to take on way too much work with unrealistically low levels of time (levels of effort). The acquisition of AED did make things more challenging and FHI is still trying to work it out. I think eventually it will. But overall, you really need to be an opportunist and go-getter to thrive here b/c often it might feel like you have no mentorship and no one looking out for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a way to retain talented staff between projects. Also, perhaps if more opportunities existed (funded by an FCO other than the departmental account which is limited) to cross-train staff in other areas you would not have a revolving door of talent and would have more satisfied employees. You should also be making it a priority for your staff to grow and develop their skill-set. Also, some supervisors make it very difficult for their staff to be promoted and I think this is because there is little to no guidance (or it's too vague) and so, in my opinion, you have staff in certain departments who are underpaid for the market. Also, there seems to be a culture of understaffing projects (regarding LOE). We're asked to do substantial amounts of work with 5 and 10% LOE, which is ridiculous. You end up having an insane workload and then nothing gets done on time. I think there should be a minimum amount of time a person is on a project, something like 25% and project leadership need to figure out how to use their staff more efficiently.

I like the mission of FHI360 but not how they treat their employees; especially the designers.

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsHaving your work showcased in third world countries.

ConsVery poor and small working environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together.

Great benefits, great people; still limping from merger

Senior Technical Officer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI have colleagues I deeply respect and really like as people. I enjoy being at the office and I'm not (so) sad when it's Monday morning. But it is a huge organization so it depends on your department.

Also the benefits, as others have noted, as are good as it gets in our industry and better than many of our competitors. And I enjoy working in Dupont Circle.

ConsWith a new CEO, we may have some hope for a positive emergence from the mess of the merger, after which morale dropped like a rock. Waffling on decisions about restructuring the company has led to confusion. The movement toward field office-centered program management is probably a wise move, but it does mean fewer positions at HQ in Washington, and there is no sugarcoating that.

Advice to Senior ManagementPatrick Fine can demonstrate some quick wins to show people things are going to change. Demonstrate that health programming does not get a priority over other sectors--this carries the whiff of FHI's dominance over the AED acquired departments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Surprises and mis-communication top to down

Financial Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood Salary compared to similar organizations

ConsLess job security and favoritism/nepotism for certain staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of member who are flamboyant and selfish in senior Management.

Great work

ProsGreat people and pleasant balanced work environment

ConsManagement with minimal real world business experience

Overall a good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExcelent employee benefits that other organizations have difficulty matching in the market.

ConsThe transition from AED has not been handled well which made a lot of employees unhappy and miserable on both sides. Overall communication of the direction of the organization and performance of upper management leave a lot to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should listen more to what employees need to say in the many surveys that were implemented during the transition period.

Great people, but poor managment...

Program Officer II (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros- great organization for entry-level employees to get their foot in the door
    - comparable compensation to other orgs; great benefits (12% contribution to pension!)
    - interesting and challenging projects
    - people at HQ and country offices are amazing to work with

Cons- bureaucratic
    - not much room for growth after certain level; a lot of people leave and come back for higher level jobs
    - acquisition with AED was a nightmare and continues to be messy; lots of disorganization
    - roles and responsibilities of HQ departments not clearly delineated; program staff take on all realms of responsibility

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to make hard decisions and stick with them; initiate job progression charts and processes for staff. too much talent is lost due to stagnant job growth.

Great experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe projects are interesting and can potentially help a large group of people

ConsGrowth within the company isn't easy.

Good people, interesting work

ProsEveryone cares about what we do. It's an organization of 4,000+ people, and nearly every one of them is invested in making the world a good place. The work-life balance is really respected. Business is stable, despite being project-based which inherently means some fluctuations. The benefits are jaw-droppingly good (18-23 vacation days, 12 sick days, 10 holidays, extensive health coverage, 12% contribution to retirement, etc).

ConsLike most big organizations, there are people who can be dumb or rude; there are processes that can make you want to pull your hair out; your professional growth path can be ambiguous

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on making the organization well run.

Satisfied

Prosenvironment, culture, people, opportunity, meaningful work

Conswork load, non-profit salary, high turnover

Worked for FHI 360? Contribute to the Community!