FICO

FICO Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

FICO CEO William Lansing

William Lansing

Pros
  • Good work life balance with lots of opportunities to work from home (in 21 reviews)

• Flexible working hours and no dress code (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Little or no work / life balance, expected to work more than contracted hours (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management is struggling with how to position for the future (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

I've had a stable career at FICO working for interesting, recognizable clients which has made the work exciting.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsI like working for FICO for the challenging clients with whom I've gotten to work. Always cutting edge technology has been utilized based upon the client solution and expectations. Because of this my skill set has always improved and I've been exposed to diverse software. The office culture has improved the last few years with a CEO focused on keeping talent rather than with layoffs. Flexible working hours are a benefit too for work/life balance.

ConsStingy with money for the working class employees. It's hard to keep up with the cost of living when during an annual review there is no raise given. Company policy states they don't believe in giving a cost of living increase. Ironically there always seems to be plenty of money for the executive leader's salaries, bonuses and stock options.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish mentors would be more readily identifiable within our company when trying to establish a career path or move a career path forward. If the focus currently is on retaining talent then it would be nice to figure out where I could find someone to mentor me with the next phase of my career. Perhaps stronger management training would improve an employees ability to seek out that type of collaboration.

Mixed bag at FICO

Product Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLots of very smart people. Interesting projects. Great brand. Mature company with good client services.

ConsLacking in strategy and long term vision. As an established company, they haven't updated their development processes in a long time. Executive leadership hasn't always made good decisions.

Come to FICO learn and leave.

ProsTechnically challenging place to work. Cutting edge in some areas and well behind in others. Co workers are good, helpful and friendly.

ConsLots of layoffs. Management by cost cutting only. Medical benefits are not much better than nothing. Employes are always expendable when it comes to making the bottom line. Salary increases are only for the highest performers which are kept artificially low through a quota systems. Not unusual to go for years without receiving any thing more than small a bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the quota system. This company is full of good people who deserve to be paid better for there work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Leadership via cost cutting is not leadership it is called Accounting!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent brand name allows opportunities for industry leadership. Bright and talented new hires. Diverse employee base. Large geographic reach.

ConsManagement meets plan by reducing expenses. Reliance upon brand name has led the company to become numb to the industry in which it serves and it's arrogance continually outweighs the value in which it invoices reflect.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership via cost cutting is not leadership it is called Accounting

IT Management

IT Leader (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsLeading technologies in use. Great learning opportunities. International business experience is available as this is a global company.

ConsStaff expected to work long hours. Night and weekend work is very typical. Challenging to replace or backfill positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to staff appropriately to protect existing services. Create career paths by hiring at entry levels, train and grow from within. Latest focus is to be as lean as possible and pay top dollar for top tier hires, but these hires burn out quick and see limited growth opportunities.

Way cooler than you might think

ProsTrue pioneer and current leader in the "big data" and data science space.
    Combines the financial strength of a mature, well-established business with an energy-level and focus on growth that feels start-up-like.
    Leading edge technology solutions that truly drive decisions at many of the most influencial companies in the world.
    Large enough (around 2,600 people globally) to provide resources, stability and a wealth of opportunities, and small enough to allow performance contributions to readily stand out.
    Really smart people working on really important, real-world solutions.

ConsIt can be a bit complex for a company its size. The nature of the business problems FICO addresses are inherently complicated, and the relevance of its solutions spans virtually every industry. As a result, it can be difficult at times to succinctly define priorities. People who thrive here excel at asking smart questions and staying in-touch with things happening outside of their immediate team.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind more opportunities to keep people informed about key priorities and why they're important. Every FICO employee should be able to succinctly explain what we do and feel a tremendous sense of pride in doing so.

It was a very good learning experience as it was my second internship.

Software QA Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsI learned a lot from my manager and supervisor about best QA practices. They were friendly and encouraging.

ConsNot any I can think of.

Don't get sick or they will eliminate your position

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Rafael, CA

ProsThere are some really nice people who work here.

ConsWhen I got cancer - my position was eliminated. I was treated horribly by HR. The office is a rabbit warren of offices where no one interacts and it appears no one likes working there. It seems to be a large company where no one is excited about what they do. Their health care is horrible for such a big company and they make everyone do a time card everyday. Weird weird place.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow genuine concern for your biggest asset - your employees. Get out and actually spend time with your teams. Also HR leaders need to take sensitivity training.

FICO's refresh has made it an innovative and exciting place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros* Managers are intelligent & show a great deal of appreciation for top-performing staff.
    * Executives are very approachable & offer great insight & wisdom on individual career trajectories.
    * HR developing a strong universal on-boarding and training process, along with educational opportunities.
    * Smart and friendly colleagues.
    * Some nice perks (coffee machines, cafe, wellness benefits, cell phone plan)
    * Relatively flexible working hours, though executives do heavily promote working in-office for collaboration purposes.
    * FICO's got a lot of very exciting products that are incredibly relevant in the world of big data/cloud analytics. It feels like a fantastic time to be on board with this company.
    * Open-door, honest policy that lets you know exactly where your performance is hitting its stride and missing its mark.

Cons* Some inefficiencies with the constant technical upgrades/changes. The IT service group is in Bangalore, and sometimes important details are completely lost in translation.
    * Not everyone is on the same computer platform, so there are hiccoughs.
    * Sometimes it feels that there is a chasm between the Executives and regular staff, but if you are a hard worker, try speaking up -- likely they'll be responsive.
    * It's a big company, and it can be easy to feel lost; it doesn't have the ridiculous perks of some of the tech companies in Silicon Valley, but there is a stronger belief in life/work balance that is clear.
    * There have been some personnel changes due to the shifting trajectory of the company; this isn't a company for people who want to rest on their laurels and just collect a paycheck. You need to keep yourself educated, thinking & adaptable to succeed.

Advice to Senior Management* Consider a few more "Silicon Valley" perks for staff, where Executives engage with everyone. It can feel a little stratified at times, but when the Execs actually get out in front of the team, the respect and energy is palpable.
    * If C-level could do more Town Halls at all of the offices, I think that would reinvigorate the team mentality quite a lot.
    * It would be great if staff that works together frequently virtually, but isn't Executive/VP level or Sales (i.e.: Engineering, Faculties, IT, Legal, Accounting, Administrative) could have annual get togethers (maybe not even every year) so the worldwide FICO could feel more like a united brand on all fronts.
    * Recruiting (especially Sales) seems to sometimes get stuck in old patterns that aren't necessarily optimizing the pool of potential candidates.
    * Wage increases/bonuses aren't really on par with the rest of the Valley. Perhaps reviewers are thinking Minnesota cost of living…
    * Office culture could use a boost! Maybe some happy hours or team building events to encourage interdepartmental communication.

Performance Culture

ProsManagement seems very focused on developing a performance culture. Smart, high achievers are recognized. Tons of smart people. Very collaborative. Good place for smart people to get ahead.

ConsFair Isaac used to be a lifestyle company. Still a very comfortable balance compared to most companies but getting closer to Silicon Valley speed and execution.

Worked for FICO? Contribute to the Community!