FICO Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
2.8

FICO CEO William Lansing
William Lansing

Pros
  • Good work life balance with lots of opportunities to work from home (in 21 reviews)

• Flexible working hours and no dress code (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Little or no work / life balance, expected to work more than contracted hours (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management is struggling with how to position for the future (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good learning experience, good products, bureaucratic environment though

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at FICO full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good products many of which are market leaders in their segment

Analytics which are world class

Smart people

Decent work-life balance

Not a very aggressive work culture

Perks such as free soft drinks, snacks in office

Cons

Low hikes,
    No Bonuses in some years
    Slow growth
    Not enough transparency

Engage employees better

Spend on training

Great people, overloaded

I have been working at FICO full-time

Pros

Lots to learn from interaction with amazing clients, technology and co-workers

Cons

Hundreds of spinning plates with too few people to manage

Lots of employee change for a company that has been around for 50 years - no clear vision for the future and how to get

I worked at FICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great core values, time-off, managers seem to care

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth

C-level vision for the future company growth is limited

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've had a stable career at FICO working for interesting, recognizable clients which has made the work exciting.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Roseville, MN

I have been working at FICO full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like working for FICO for the challenging clients with whom I've gotten to work. Always cutting edge technology has been utilized based upon the client solution and expectations. Because of this my skill set has always improved and I've been exposed to diverse software. The office culture has improved the last few years with a CEO focused on keeping talent rather than with layoffs. Flexible working hours are a benefit too for work/life balance.

Cons

Stingy with money for the working class employees. It's hard to keep up with the cost of living when during an annual review there is no raise given. Company policy states they don't believe in giving a cost of living increase. Ironically there always seems to be plenty of money for the executive leader's salaries, bonuses and stock options.

I wish mentors would be more readily identifiable within our company when trying to establish a career path or move a career path forward. If the focus currently is on retaining talent then it would be nice to figure out where I could find someone to mentor me with the next phase of my career. Perhaps stronger management training would improve an employees ability to seek out that type of collaboration.

Former employee at FICO

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at FICO full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good like and work balance

Cons

Like a traditional company instead of a software company, pace is slow,

Mixed bag at FICO

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at FICO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of very smart people. Interesting projects. Great brand. Mature company with good client services.

Cons

Lacking in strategy and long term vision. As an established company, they haven't updated their development processes in a long time. Executive leadership hasn't always made good decisions.

Come to FICO learn and leave.

I have been working at FICO full-time

Pros

Technically challenging place to work. Cutting edge in some areas and well behind in others. Co workers are good, helpful and friendly.

Cons

Lots of layoffs. Management by cost cutting only. Medical benefits are not much better than nothing. Employes are always expendable when it comes to making the bottom line. Salary increases are only for the highest performers which are kept artificially low through a quota systems. Not unusual to go for years without receiving any thing more than small a bonus.

Drop the quota system. This company is full of good people who deserve to be paid better for there work.

Leadership via cost cutting is not leadership it is called Accounting!

I worked at FICO

Pros

Excellent brand name allows opportunities for industry leadership. Bright and talented new hires. Diverse employee base. Large geographic reach.

Cons

Management meets plan by reducing expenses. Reliance upon brand name has led the company to become numb to the industry in which it serves and it's arrogance continually outweighs the value in which it invoices reflect.

Leadership via cost cutting is not leadership it is called Accounting

IT Management

Current Employee - IT Leader  in  Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - IT Leader in Roseville, MN

I have been working at FICO full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Leading technologies in use. Great learning opportunities. International business experience is available as this is a global company.

Cons

Staff expected to work long hours. Night and weekend work is very typical. Challenging to replace or backfill positions.

Need to staff appropriately to protect existing services. Create career paths by hiring at entry levels, train and grow from within. Latest focus is to be as lean as possible and pay top dollar for top tier hires, but these hires burn out quick and see limited growth opportunities.

Way cooler than you might think

I have been working at FICO

Pros

True pioneer and current leader in the "big data" and data science space.
    Combines the financial strength of a mature, well-established business with an energy-level and focus on growth that feels start-up-like.
    Leading edge technology solutions that truly drive decisions at many of the most influencial companies in the world.
    Large enough (around 2,600 people globally) to provide resources, stability and a wealth of opportunities, and small enough to allow performance contributions to readily stand out.
    Really smart people working on really important, real-world solutions.

Cons

It can be a bit complex for a company its size. The nature of the business problems FICO addresses are inherently complicated, and the relevance of its solutions spans virtually every industry. As a result, it can be difficult at times to succinctly define priorities. People who thrive here excel at asking smart questions and staying in-touch with things happening outside of their immediate team.

Find more opportunities to keep people informed about key priorities and why they're important. Every FICO employee should be able to succinctly explain what we do and feel a tremendous sense of pride in doing so.

Worked for FICO? Contribute to the Community!