FICO

FICO Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

FICO CEO William Lansing

William Lansing

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance with lots of opportunities to work from home"
    in 20 reviews
  • "A good work life balance, and work from home option, but the company is going back on this as well"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Little or no work / life balance, expected to work more than contracted hours"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Senior management is struggling with how to position for the future"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Politics

I have been working at FICO full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe base salary is ok.

ConsThe training is too bad.

Good company

I have been working at FICO full-time

ProsGreat people, flexible work options and good salaries

ConsService offerings are unclear and hard to sell, real focus is financial services even tho play in other industries

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus resources on core competencies

Always Cutting Edge

I worked at FICO

ProsContinuously looking for the next analytic gem.

ConsReputation of the "corporate mentality" was as arrogant and aloof from customer relationships.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Look elsewhere

Consultant I (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at FICO full-time for more than 3 years

Prosfree parking, heated building, team environment

ConsVery political, low pay, relationship based rewards.

Advice to Senior Managementget a clue

Laid Back but poor management

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at FICO as an intern for less than a year

ProsLaid back, free snacks and drinks, cool managers

ConsManagers were cool but they where too laid back, I got no work in the 1st half of my internship

On the Ball

Intranet Support Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at FICO full-time for less than a year

ProsGood hard working and very smart people
Very flexible as far as telecommuting
Excellent benefits, work life balance

ConsA lot going on, senior leadership seems to be quiet
Internal Communications in my opinion is not communicating enough

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Internal Communications is not supporting you enough, communicate on your own
Embrace the new technologies and make a brand for yourself
The company is going in the right direction, let us all know what you think!

Still Reinventing Itself

I worked at FICO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros1) Analytics team is among the best in the industry
2) Great environment for virtual office workers
3) Great place for junior-to-midcareer sales

Cons1) FICO has been trying to reinvent itself since the Tom Grudnowski era. Still attempting to do that, and the current Cloud strategy is questionable.
2) Board is sometimes too involved company operations, leading to weak senior leadership.
3) Sales comp plans seem designed more to reign in cost of sales than nurture a strong sales culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery company needs balance sales comp plans with prudent financial management. However, FICO has occasionally gone overboard in creating a sales environment that is at times confusing and demotivating.

Do your homework

San Rafael, CA

I worked at FICO full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWorking conditions at FICO depend largely on which department you work for. Analytics has always been valued and is the best group to be a part of. Software Development is generally not, although some product development groups are much better than others.

At the San Rafael office, most employees have spacious and comfortable offices. The company recently installed Starbucks coffee machines on each floor and provides free snacks. The in-house café serves good food and the café staff are friendly and responsive to requests. There’s a walking/bike path nearby that is handy for exercising and there are in-house showers.

Depending on your group and appropriateness to your position, work hours are generally flexible. Until recently, working remotely has also been supported, which has helped tremendously with commute traffic and the odd working hours necessitated by working with a global staff, but is unfortunately now discouraged. Salaries are competitive: neither high nor low.

FICO employees are very bright, skilled, hard-working, and friendly. If you’re in the right group, have a supportive manager, and have a high tolerance for uncertainty and stress, FICO may work for you, but be sure to research the group and position you are considering.

ConsMany FICO jobs have been moved out of the country and employees don’t know from month to month if their jobs will be eliminated. This makes it difficult to make financial plans and commitments such as buying a home or even a car. This kind of uncertainty causes continual stress and anxiety, affecting employee health and attitudes.

Cost-of-living raises appear to be a thing of the past, as are a previous employee stock purchase plan and option awards for most employees. Bonuses, when awarded, have been small. Healthcare benefits are no longer competitive, with the company moving everyone to HSAs and reducing company contributions. It’s difficult to obtain the training necessary to keep skills current due to lack of funding and time. Middle managers no longer have defined vacation, but are supposed to take time off when work allows, which varies considerably based on the opinions of their own managers.

The performance review system is very competitive and discouraging. Management has said that there are not performance “quotas,” but practically speaking, if a manager of a high-performance team tries to rate all of his staff high, he is discouraged from doing so.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are lots of opportunities to motivate and recognize staff and to create a culture of creativity and collaboration; take advantage of them. Quit engaging in constant re-orgs, “resource realignment,” cost-cutting, and micro-management. There’s no faster way to demotivate employees and it’s so inefficient. Think and plan for the long-term good of the company instead of taking a reactive, short-term stance. And instead of indulging in confusing or misleading management-speak and taking a need-to-know, distrustful approach, communicate clearly, honestly, and directly. Talk with (not to) your employees so you know what's really going on. Lastly, quit treating employees as a dispensable commodity and referring to them as “human capital.” They spend a lot of time acquiring domain knowledge and learning the company ropes. Value and try to build on it.

Talented employees, horrible work environment.

I worked at FICO full-time

ProsTalented employees, decent starting salaries.

ConsBad benefits. Terrible upper management. There is no loyalty from them. They cut great people ruthlessly, whether you work tons of hours or not. Bonuses and salary upgrades are kept to themselves. Add all this plus unfair work expectations and you have a great place to be from!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some loyalty to your workers. THEY do the work, not you!

Upper management does not really understand which lower level employees are needed and which to let go.

I worked at FICO full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people you work with every day are friendly and helpful.

ConsThere is not much room for advancement at this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore you have a severance event, you should speak with the employees' direct manager. When I was let go, my own manager had no idea. Communication is key.

Worked for FICO? Contribute to the Community!

FICO Videos

FICO – Why Work for Us?

At FICO, you can advance your career within one of the fastest-growing fields in technology today - analytics. With our industry leading credit scores and other solutions, FICO is the leader in predictive analytics for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FICO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FICO CEO William Lansing . All 198 reviews posted anonymously by FICO employees.