FICO Reviews

Updated April 26, 2015
307 reviews filtered by
FICO CEO William Lansing
William Lansing

Pros
  • Good work life balance with lots of opportunities to work from home (in 22 reviews)

• Flexible working hours and no dress code (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Little or no work / life balance, expected to work more than contracted hours (in 11 reviews)

• Senior management has no vision or plan (in 10 reviews)

opportunities for self learners

Current Employee - Engineer II
    Current Employee - Engineer II

I have been working at FICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fico offers a wide variety of different technologies to work with and learn from as Fico has its hands in a vast array of different fields.

Cons

There are no raises and the annual bonus pool is a bit of a joke. Training is all self guided and you will frequently be asked to work with things that you have no experience and be expected to figure things out as you go.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to offer compensation adjustments to reflect performance and cost of living increases. The annual review process needs to be revamped desperately.

A traditional company pivoting into a SaaS company.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at FICO

Pros

At FICO it's common to work with big businesses. It's fun to know that your company is providing some of the behind-the-scenes capabilities to enable these household names.

While FICO is largely known for scores, their technology products are pretty diverse and there are a lot of interesting projects to get involved in. While a lot of my work can be somewhat repetitive there are new and interesting problems to solve all the time.

My immediate management is great, very involved and aware of issues--but also providing plenty of autonomy to do my job. My colleagues are also very capable and I very much enjoy working with them.

Cons

Salaries for technical positions are a bit underwhelming. Paired with the high deductibles and limited coverage from the benefit package this can really hurt a family. The final significant issue is there can be a lot of red tape to getting anything done and this can be stressful when customers are demanding answers and the 5 different departments involved aren't moving quickly.

Advice to Management

Evaluate whether salaries and benefits are truly competitive in your industries and consider reflecting the value of high performers to the company with competitive salary, not just annual bonuses.

Looking forward to a long career with this company.

I have been working at FICO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, frequent and fun company-wide activities. Although I am in an administrative role, I enjoy being able to call some really smart and dedicated scientists and engineers my co-workers. I also enjoy contributing in my small way to a high-profile company which is doing great things.

Cons

The worst health insurance "benefit" I have ever seen, which is probably just the bare minimum required by law. All of the other benefits, including dental and vision, are great. However, if you have the option to go on a spouse's medical insurance, I would recommend it.

Advice to Management

Please follow thru on your promise to develop your people. Offer more realistic health insurance benefits.

Very positive first 10 months

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at FICO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

FICO has far more going for it than credit scores. It is a leader in predictive analytics, and participates in a wide range of related markets. This means a lot of really interesting products and projects. FICO draws really smart and engaged people. It is a hard-working place, but very "grown-up" with strong respect for life outside of work.

Cons

FICO's offices are very dispersed geographically, with three in California alone. Project teams are frequently spread across the globe, which means lots of conference calls, and some demand for travel, although that might be seen as a plus. The wide range of activity across markets and products means that getting extended attention from senior executives can be challenging, although the flip-side of that can be lots of autonomy.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing us on the best opportunities!

People keep coming back for more

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at FICO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent, bright co-workers, very good technology that is quickly moving in the direction of all the current buzzwords, with elements of social and cloud computing. Many employees that leave end up coming back, largely because they find that FICO has less politics than other companies.

Cons

The tight cost controls that have served us well through tough times tends to extend into nickel and diming on expenses, bonus pools, and commissions. Good sales people have left over unfair reckoning of their commissions, which weakens the sales team greatly since it is a large set of complex technologies that we sell, not the easiest job for a new person to figure out.

Advice to Management

Look at the long term costs of policies that are driving away productive sales people when considering when you want to quibble over something that is more fair to pay out on than not.

7. Improving substantially

Current Employee - Principal Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Scientist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at FICO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

"analytics" and "machine learning" is hot now. FICO has been doing it for 50 years.

This is an update to a review from 6 years ago---the pace of the company has increased and if you're working on the new generation of products it can be more fun and exciting.

Cons

IT support is worse than ever as the demands get higher moving to new high-performance cloud & big data infrastructure.

Analytic scientists often need to diagnose problems on their own ad direct sysadmins step by step.

14 Years and Still Going Strong!

Current Employee - Senior Education Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Education Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at FICO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Exceptionally intelligent colleagues working very hard on a regular basis, solving interesting and challenging business problems using data analytics.

Cons

Individuals must tightly manage their own work/life balance and take good care not to get caught up in a constant cycle of over-performance.

Advice to Management

Individuals with initiative, drive, creative ideas and technical adaptability are a good fit here.

Assistant Treasurer

Current Employee - Assistant Treasurer in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Treasurer in Roseville, MN

I have been working at FICO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

financial strength and stability; challenging work; opportunity to grow in my position as the company grows and expands globally; strong upper management and vision; fair compensation; flexibility and trust

Cons

Our global reach and distribution of our employee base can create challenges. Sometimes it takes longer to get things done.

Advice to Management

Please continue on the path of focused growth. Foreign expansion and acquisitions should continue to be based on compelling financial opportunities.

like a market driven university

Current Employee - Engineer II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at FICO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lots of growth opportunities
    excellent people
    important problems and interesting challenges
    great benefits and flexibility
    adaptive to market and technologies

Cons

bureaucracy can be daunting
    not always good communication with manager and team
    some products and technologies stagnating because of favorable contracts
    some ideas suppressed
    new products disorganized and difficult to comprehend

Advice to Management

spend time with individual meetings with co-developed action objectives and have meaningful team building activities

Senior Software Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at FICO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Contracts with our suppliers and customers have been renegotiated over the past several years. The resulting contracts have created a great potential for expansion and a need for analytic and software staff. Limited work from home is sometimes available. Good vacation benefits. Decent year-end bonus in recent years.

Cons

As is many corporations, managers are wooed and hired while the production level gets overloaded and offshored. Project schedules are set optimistically to meet contract needs, but staff is not added to produce. Significant free overtime is expected and commonplace.

Salaries at hire are good, but promotion below management level is designed to be difficult and pay raises almost non-existent. A significant number of employees "boomerang" out to other companies then come back.

Project management is very weak and in fear of reporting any problems to management.

Advice to Management

Treat your technical staff like your managers. Hire staff to meet your goals. Do not shoot the messenger.