FINRA Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014

FINRA Chairman & CEO Richard G. Ketchum
Richard G. Ketchum

Pros
  • In terms of the non-exempt life, the work/life balance is great (in 32 reviews)

• gt; Great Benefits, including 401(k) of 4% to 6% match each year and Pension for Employees of 1 (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • limited opportunity for advancement and limited career paths (in 9 reviews)

• Although the organization advertises its work/life balance culture, it is 100% dependent on your manager (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern

Current Employee - Graduate Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Graduate Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at FINRA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great working atmosphere and provides lots of opportunities for one to grow. And have a work life balance.

Cons

At least in my group, you may focused on a certain field, if you love it, that would be great.

I think the management is great, employee has chances to talk with them frequently.

Excellent place to work in

I have been working at FINRA

Pros

Very good environment to work in

Cons

Sometimes work schedule is a bit stressful esp. with releases

Good place to work

Current Employee - Examiner in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Examiner in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at FINRA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Coworkers, small friendly environment

Cons

limited opportunity for advancement and limited career paths

trust your employees. Continue to do what you are doing. Management isn't doing a bad job.

Wonderful place to work

I worked at FINRA

Pros

The Boston office is a collegial and somewhat small office. Everyone seems to enjoy what they do and they do their jobs well. The work (from the enforcement perspective) is varied and always interesting.

Cons

Limited opportunity for promotion and growth.

Great, stable company to work for in the financial services industry.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like working here for the stability and the quality of life. It's located in Rockville, MD, a suburb of DC, so it's possible to live and work in suburbia with no commute. I enjoy all of the vacation time I'm given and the flexibility to be able to attend events for my kids. I like the people that I work with. Great matching 401K.

Cons

I don't feel like I'm paid enough. Sure, I have a pension and a great 401k program, but I was originally hired at too low of a salary and while I have been promoted and have increased my salary, I still feel that it is in the low-end of the spectrum from where it should be. I didn't know about Glassdoor.com and had no idea about what to ask for regarding my salary.

Please listen when I say that I feel that I'm not being properly compensated, and try to do more about it.

Enforcement Director

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at FINRA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Good pay and bonuses. Opportunities to advance for those that are in the right click.

Cons

Senior Management is a good ole boys and gals network. People get promoted by who they know not what they now and how good they are.

Provide promotion opportunities for people that have potential to be good executives and not just because they know the right people.

Great Benefits and Worklife Balance

Current Employee - Manager in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

FINRA has great benefits. Pension plus 401k, great medical coverage and liberal leave policies. The bonuses are nice too. Great Worklife balance. Flexible schedules, I come and go as I please and nobody cares as long as I get my work done. Work demands are reasonable. Management talks a lot about "the mission" but the truth is that the vast majority of employees could really care less about the mission. People stay because it's an easy place to work and the bonuses and benefits can't really be beat.

Cons

Salaries could be higher for sure. Very difficult to get promoted unless you are friends with the right people. Impossible to move between functions. Once you are in one department you'd better get used to the idea that you will be stuck there for the rest of your career.

Stop focusing so much on what the press says. Your obsession with avoiding bad publicity is crippling the creativity of the staff. Take a risk once in a while and it might pay off.

Nice start right out of school

Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FINRA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

4-6% 401k match. Great for your resume. Not a good salary, but they tell you that up front.

Cons

You're supposed to love the "mission" more than the pay. If you are married, you won't be for long if you keep working there: it takes that much toll on your personal life.Top-down management. Not open to new ideas or change. Fear of risk. No work/life balance. HR used to be helpful, but all of the people who would speak for employees have left.

It's 2014. Get with the program.

FINRA Surveillance Director

I worked at FINRA full-time

Pros

Job security. Regulatory field is growing.

Cons

Work environment tends to be bureaucratic.

Unorganized and Poor management skills.

I worked at FINRA

Pros

Was able to get a feel of the corporate IT world.

Cons

Managers were very unorganized and broke the terms on the contract.

FINRA Photos

West Monroe FINRA (Photo thanks to Flickr user lobtar28, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
Washington DC headquarters of FINRA (formerly NASD), financial industry's self-regulatory body. 1735 K Street. (Photo thanks to Flickr user Dan DC All rights reserved.)
FINRA Headquarters (Photo thanks to Flickr user WilliamlnOmaha All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo