FINRA Reviews

Software Development Lead

Current Employee - Software Development Lead in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Software Development Lead in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time

Pros

Money is good. Salaries are competitive and bonuses are nice. Very hard to get fired.

Cons

Too much politics, especially at the senior management level. No manager would fire those who aren't doing their jobs. It's very demoralizing when you work really hard while some of your coworkers just goof off.

Advice to Management

Uphold high standards for employees. Hold them accountable and fire those that just aren't qualified to do their jobs or just aren't motivated.

Greta manager, overburdenned by lack of resources and a very "old boy" type of network; Glass ceiling is inherent

Current Employee - Research Analyst - Fixed Income (Market Regulation) in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, many opportunities to attend training seminars, in-house cafeteria, easy interview.

Cons

The market regulation department is inherently messed up. The "old boys club" , including two heads of research within the Fixed Income Market Regulation team are not willing to adapt to today's changing social landscape.

Advice to Management

Your department will continue to be a revolving door unless you become more humane and less focused on micromanagement stats because you're too busy setting up Golf Tournaments with your buddies.

3. Senior Developer

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time

Pros

Stable Job, work life balance (tends to be reducing now) . Good compensation and benefits.

Cons

0 prospects for career growth . The managers and directors don't give an opportunity for subordinates to grow . The people who interact directly with decision makers for promotion get promoted . The manager would not give his subordinates an opportunity that could result in a promotion , He will take on all the higher visibility projects by himself which ultimately leads to rating numbers that get him promoted . His subordinates get stuck where they were when they started. If you decide to stick with the organization you may end up retiring where you started. They recently introduced "open workspace arrangement"resulting in very ugly looking work env. You get to sit on an open floor with desk just large enough to fit 2 monitors no room to put your laptop . This has resulted in less communication and lower morale amongst employees . The team members call in sick more frequently as they pass on the cold or flu virus form folks sitting close to each other, A survey showed big dissatisfaction rate amongst employees due to growth opportunities . I am sure the workspace rearrangement leading to seating arrangement with higher density will lead to even more dissatisfaction amongst workers. Not a very fun place to work. The work env is not very exciting .

Advice to Management

Please try to implement fair job promotion policies for employees at lower level too and please try to reevaluate the new workspace design model. I am sure you may save costs in short run but may prove costly in longer run

5. Analyst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time

Pros

I really like my colleagues. The rank and file co-workers are great, unlike management.

Cons

No job growth. Mangers actively prevent movement. You are not chosen on merit, but on whether your current managers gives you a good enough recommendation to your potential hiring manager. That's usually saved for a relative or someone else that's connected.

If you really believe in investor protection and market integrity, go work somewhere else.

Former Employee - Regulatory Staff in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Regulatory Staff in Rockville, MD

I worked at FINRA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job.
    You get paid.
    Benefits are generally good.
    That's about all I can honestly say about this place.

Cons

Managers care more about finding/manufacturing and documenting "bad performance," rather than valuing staff expertise.
    Diversity? What diversity? They only want people who think just like their inept managers, who know nothing about the securities industry they are charged with regulating.

Advice to Management

To those at the top, wake up and open your eyes. Nobody wants to work here for long, once they figure out that you don't really care about them, or about the "mission." All you care about is collecting your fat compensation packages and making sure nobody else can advance into your ranks. Pretty soon, the only ones in your private country club will be yourselves. The staff you are hiring are incompetent to do the work, and someday very soon "Main Street" will see you for the ineffective regulators you really are.

Change is still needed

Former Employee - QA Tester in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - QA Tester in Rockville, MD

I worked at FINRA

Pros

If you're looking for 9-5 job with benefits, but with little room for overall improvement - this is for you.

Cons

Little drive for self- improvement. Software meets bureaucracy

Advice to Management

More focus on quality - not just metrics

Very Frustrating and Exhausting

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Rockville, MD

I worked at FINRA

Pros

Good Benefits and other perks

Cons

Too much bureaucracy and every major release or project was rushed in.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees the same way as your stakeholders.

9. Great working environment

Former Intern - Intern in Rockville, MD
    Former Intern - Intern in Rockville, MD

I worked at FINRA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People seem to like working there, good for learning, lots of independent and meaningful work early on, apparently very good pay

Cons

All the way out in Rockville

Great, stable company to work for in the financial services industry.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like working here for the stability and the quality of life. It's located in Rockville, MD, a suburb of DC, so it's possible to live and work in suburbia with no commute. I enjoy all of the vacation time I'm given and the flexibility to be able to attend events for my kids. I like the people that I work with. Great matching 401K.

Cons

I don't feel like I'm paid enough. Sure, I have a pension and a great 401k program, but I was originally hired at too low of a salary and while I have been promoted and have increased my salary, I still feel that it is in the low-end of the spectrum from where it should be. I didn't know about Glassdoor.com and had no idea about what to ask for regarding my salary.

Advice to Management

Please listen when I say that I feel that I'm not being properly compensated, and try to do more about it.

Great Benefits and Worklife Balance

Current Employee - Manager in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

FINRA has great benefits. Pension plus 401k, great medical coverage and liberal leave policies. The bonuses are nice too. Great Worklife balance. Flexible schedules, I come and go as I please and nobody cares as long as I get my work done. Work demands are reasonable. Management talks a lot about "the mission" but the truth is that the vast majority of employees could really care less about the mission. People stay because it's an easy place to work and the bonuses and benefits can't really be beat.

Cons

Salaries could be higher for sure. Very difficult to get promoted unless you are friends with the right people. Impossible to move between functions. Once you are in one department you'd better get used to the idea that you will be stuck there for the rest of your career.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing so much on what the press says. Your obsession with avoiding bad publicity is crippling the creativity of the staff. Take a risk once in a while and it might pay off.

FINRA Photos

West Monroe FINRA (Photo thanks to Flickr user lobtar28, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
Washington DC headquarters of FINRA (formerly NASD), financial industry's self-regulatory body. 1735 K Street. (Photo thanks to Flickr user Dan DC All rights reserved.)
FINRA Headquarters (Photo thanks to Flickr user WilliamlnOmaha All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo