FINRA

Updated September 21, 2014
3.1

FINRA Chairman & CEO Richard G. Ketchum
Richard G. Ketchum

Pros
  • In terms of the non-exempt life, the work/life balance is great (in 32 reviews)

• gt; Great Benefits, including 401(k) of 4% to 6% match each year and Pension for Employees of 1 (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • limited opportunity for advancement and limited career paths (in 9 reviews)

• Although the organization advertises its work/life balance culture, it is 100% dependent on your manager (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

65 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Intern

Current Employee - Graduate Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Graduate Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at FINRA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great working atmosphere and provides lots of opportunities for one to grow. And have a work life balance.

Cons

At least in my group, you may focused on a certain field, if you love it, that would be great.

I think the management is great, employee has chances to talk with them frequently.

Great, stable company to work for in the financial services industry.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like working here for the stability and the quality of life. It's located in Rockville, MD, a suburb of DC, so it's possible to live and work in suburbia with no commute. I enjoy all of the vacation time I'm given and the flexibility to be able to attend events for my kids. I like the people that I work with. Great matching 401K.

Cons

I don't feel like I'm paid enough. Sure, I have a pension and a great 401k program, but I was originally hired at too low of a salary and while I have been promoted and have increased my salary, I still feel that it is in the low-end of the spectrum from where it should be. I didn't know about Glassdoor.com and had no idea about what to ask for regarding my salary.

Please listen when I say that I feel that I'm not being properly compensated, and try to do more about it.

Enforcement Director

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at FINRA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Good pay and bonuses. Opportunities to advance for those that are in the right click.

Cons

Senior Management is a good ole boys and gals network. People get promoted by who they know not what they now and how good they are.

Provide promotion opportunities for people that have potential to be good executives and not just because they know the right people.

Great Benefits and Worklife Balance

Current Employee - Manager in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

FINRA has great benefits. Pension plus 401k, great medical coverage and liberal leave policies. The bonuses are nice too. Great Worklife balance. Flexible schedules, I come and go as I please and nobody cares as long as I get my work done. Work demands are reasonable. Management talks a lot about "the mission" but the truth is that the vast majority of employees could really care less about the mission. People stay because it's an easy place to work and the bonuses and benefits can't really be beat.

Cons

Salaries could be higher for sure. Very difficult to get promoted unless you are friends with the right people. Impossible to move between functions. Once you are in one department you'd better get used to the idea that you will be stuck there for the rest of your career.

Stop focusing so much on what the press says. Your obsession with avoiding bad publicity is crippling the creativity of the staff. Take a risk once in a while and it might pay off.

Great experience, but dreadful middle management.

Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time

Pros

Interesting work. Exceptional senior management and young talent.

Cons

Senior management keeps the young lawyers sane. Base salary is low initially but increases quickly, plus juicy bonus.

Shake up middle management.

Great introductory experience to financial industry. As long as you get your work done, management is easy to please.

Current Employee - Senior Regulatory Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Regulatory Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. You have the opportunity to get exposure to a lot of different ares of the financial industry

Cons

9 to 5 mentality, inefficient workflow, minimal room for growth between analyst position to management, management reluctant to use technology to its fullest capability.

It is a ok company to work in computer science

Current Employee - QA Tester in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People in the company is really nice to work with.
    Work and life could be balanced since it is non-profit organization.

Cons

It is slow pace for young people.
    The tech team is kind of new and small

The compensation for contractor is not that good

Great benefits, lackluster environment

Current Employee - Market Regulations Examiner/Shared Services Operator in Washington, DC

I have been working at FINRA as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

While I was only an intern, I did work here for two summers. There is strong pay (even for interns) and flexibility. My coworkers seemed very happy with their flexibility and benefits and management was always relatively reasonable. I learned a ton about the finance industry from the regulatory prespective.

Cons

I worked in market regulation and then shared services and neither could be described as rivetting work. The environment seems beurocratic at times, and many of the cases are boring and seem tedious. There also seems to be a lack of growth oppurtunity

Some good and some bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at FINRA full-time

Pros

Good opportunity for growth, great benefits, decent pay, great opportunity to interact with other regulators.

Cons

Management can set the tone for the entire department which can be negative, HR does not support the staff, can be very cliquey, and easy to hit ceiling in your department.

Listen to the staff that performs the work and support them.

Contractor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Love my coworkers. work life balance is great as well.

Cons

no assistance to contractors whatsoever. no benefits, personal days, and helpful programs are only available to FINRA employees. My account manager has also made zero effort to meet me.

Listen to employees more. many ideas that come down from management look great on paper, but do not actually work.

FINRA Photos

West Monroe FINRA (Photo thanks to Flickr user lobtar28, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
Washington DC headquarters of FINRA (formerly NASD), financial industry's self-regulatory body. 1735 K Street. (Photo thanks to Flickr user Dan DC All rights reserved.)
FINRA Headquarters (Photo thanks to Flickr user WilliamlnOmaha All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo