FIS
www.fisglobal.com Jacksonville, FL 5000+ Employees

FIS Reviews

Updated Apr 6, 2014
FIS – Philippines – “during theme day: Pajama Party”

FIS Chairman & CEO Frank Martire

Frank Martire

Pros:
  • "Pros: Excellent work life balance, Great People to work with"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Good people from previous companies that FIS has gobbled up and kept before they fire them"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Turnover of senior management made keeping projects moving forward"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Upper management seems extremely out of touch with what actually motivates employees"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Conservative and Safe

Marketing Director (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at FIS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable work environment with a decent customer focus. Committed to supporting the community.

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement. Huge company that does not have enough support (HR, Marketing) resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport cross-functional programs. Lots of the technical folks have great customer service ideas and the marketing teams can often see emerging business opportunities before the "next release" focused product teams.

Nothing spectacular

I have been working at FIS

ProsSolid company, highly recognized in the industry.

ConsBe careful, your career can go there to die. Hard to find advancement opportunities without leaving and returning. Not a cohesive corporation, but a large network of smaller companies that do no cooperate with each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementFIS is good, but will never be great unless employees are given a clear career path. Middle management is poor and suggestions are not welcomed.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

This is a terrible place to work, do not come here unless you need a paycheck desperately

Vice President (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at FIS full-time for more than a year

ProsSalaries from industry hires are good (if you are one of them), good employee stock purchase program

ConsBullying environment, low integrity culture, lack of strategy and vision from the top, unethical management culture, horrible operational execution (every process/system is broken), salary increases are limited to 1-2% no matter your performance, poor health care benefits . This is what I mean by a low integrity culture: it is not uncommon for system vulnerabilities that expose client confidential data to be left open for years and no one is held accountable. It is not uncommon for internal audit and compliance issues to stay open for years and no one is held accountable. Finally, the way Gary Norcross & gang handled the 2011 and 2012 hacker attacks is a case study on how not to deal with information security. Should be a business school case study on management's arrogance and blindness and its consequences to a company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. They don't care.

FIS offers a frustrating lack of vision, goals and team cohesion, and management that has no drive to succeed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Malvern, PA

I worked at FIS full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCareer stability. Most FIS employees have held their positions for many years.

ConsFIS is highly bureaucratic, mired in policies, with insular divisions and dysfunctional teams run by entrenched do-nothing managers. Hiring and promotions are based on cronyism and do not reflect experience, performance, or qualifications. Performance is not rewarded and failure is not punished.

Advice to Senior ManagementRearranging the org-chart is not a substitute for vision. Purge the lackluster managers, hire more qualified people, build a vision, lead them to achieve it, and reward them for success.

Big business in a nut shell

Woodbury, MN

I have been working at FIS full-time

ProsThe people in general are very professional and internally there are lots of opportunity to improve yourself. Starting salary was very competitive.

ConsConstant concern for your job. The cuts often were strictly money related and though there are lots of duplicate positions, money seems to drive every decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that those lofty budget goals always end up being satisfied on the backs of people who didn't have any input. Saying everyone can improve the bottom line can only be taken serious by execs slapping each other on the back in a boardroom.

Executing collections on bad checks

Collections Representative (Former Employee)
Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at FIS full-time for less than a year

Prosgreat pay, company insensitive program, great benefits, goal oriented work

ConsThe training program needs to be better with hands on training

Advice to Senior ManagementThe training program needs to be better with hands on training

High pressure, understaffed with layoffs twice a year.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at FIS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, decent salary at hiring, although annual salary increases were minimal

ConsDemands of job is always increasing with consolidation of positions so you never feel as though the department is fully staffed. Typically there are 2 lay-off seasons per year to meet stockholder expectations. To do well there, it's not enough to be professional and know your job, you must make sure you're always in good with all management and HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more notice of mid-management mishandling of direct reports. There should be more direct oversight and responsiveness. When a number of employees are reporting a specific manager, do not ignore the signs.

Corporate Mentality With Unthought Strangling Security Initiatives

Programmer Analyst Specialist (Current Employee)
Addison, TX

I have been working at FIS full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStability. Seemingly no level of incompetence can be fired in a timely fashion.

ConsSecurity initiatives are brought down to the lowest levels without warning and without regard to whether or not they will actively interfere with and/or prevent the work you are doing and require 100% compliance without exception within unreasonable time frames without allowing staff augmentation to help with the initiative.

Decent place if you're in the right department

Analyst (Former Employee)
Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at FIS full-time for more than a year

ProsWork life balance in my area was absolutely amazing.

The people I worked with have become good friends of mine, and I still keep in touch with many of them even after leaving.

It was an interesting job, where I felt I at least had a voice in my own department, even if my views and opinions often times were ignored by upper management. My direct manager actually listened to what I said, and that at least made up for some issues.

Pay was reasonable, though on the low end to be honest. They aren't willing to negotiate at all. Benefits were alright, but I never really used any of them. Perhaps this isn't much of a pro, but to me the pay wasn't really a con either. No one really feels like they get paid well enough, but I feel like they could have come up a bit more.

It's an overall friendly place, with very genuine people for the most part. I never dreaded going in to work and I truly enjoyed what I did.

ConsLimited growth potential. Even in an area where I knew I was an expert at my job, always looking to expand my work and improve the department, management never really recognized my talents. It's quite honestly a shame because I really enjoyed my work and I loved my team, even my direct manager was a good person and easy to talk to. It's upper management that's the problem.

For long term growth, it's really hit or miss with your job. Some people find their place and grow in it, while others (most) sadly end up leaving due to road blocks.

In my area, while my direct team was amazing, our upper-level "coworkers" forced their opinions and buried us in work they thought was important, but was actually just busy-work that limited our time to do our actual jobs.

Inexplicable promotions/hiring into higher level positions. It's something I never understood there. People (not just me) who worked hard and deserved promotions were skipped over. People who really had no idea what they were doing were put in managerial roles, or promoted to a higher level. Outside talent was brought in at higher levels than those who had been working in the role for years, even when the new hire had little to no experience in the field. This is very damaging to employee morale. I understand this happens in many companies, but it seemed to be really prevalent here, which is extremely unfortunate.

The St. Pete campus really looks like a prison. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's rather depressing looking.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's been said before, but the company needs to recognize the talent it has and promote from within, with those people who actually deserve it. The company has a real shot of expanding even more, and it's on stable ground even in a rough economy. If the company fails to see the good employees it has, I'm afraid it won't be standing much longer.

A good foot in the door

Little Rock, AR

I have been working at FIS full-time

ProsLots of room to move around within the company to find a team you really enjoy working with. If you want to develop mobile applications, there's a team for that. If you want to develop JSP web applications, there are several teams for that. Lots of opportunities for travel if you're into that sort of thing.

ConsNot a good development environment. Everything seems to be based on time. Want two decent-sized monitors to develop on? Better do your time with the company first. I personally did not have quiet working conditions more often than not. Promotions are time-based, and I've seen some truly horrifying Java code written by those three or four levels higher than myself. Raises barely keep up with the cost of living and inflation (if you get a 2% raise you're doing great). Pay is generally low overall for software development. I have had the greatest manager I've ever had in my life at FIS, but I've also had some truly horrible managers who you definitely had to keep your head low around. The emphasis on security has gone way overboard and I've heard from many co-workers that they are impeded from doing their jobs on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to recognize those that are extremely talented in the company ... it feels a lot of the times like promotions are based more on tenure than skill. Actually provide developers the best tools money can buy, rather than making them work for it -- they earned it by passing the interview and getting the job in the first place.

Worked for FIS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FIS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FIS CEO Frank Martire. All 252 reviews posted anonymously by FIS employees.