FIS Reviews in Malvern, PA

Updated June 5, 2014
2.9

FIS Chairman & CEO Frank Martire
Frank Martire

Pros
  • Pros: Excellent work life balance, Great People to work with (in 30 reviews)

• Flexible work environment, working remote, smart coworkers, good resume builder (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a struggle for those you cannot tell management "no" (in 14 reviews)

• Turnover of senior management made keeping projects moving forward (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good management that is willing to teach, and flexible working hours are good for home work balance. Senior management is trying to be more involved. Not as fast a work pace as other technology firms. Overall good experience.

Cons

Lower pay than other similar shops, benefits aren't that great. Becoming more of a corporate culture rather than small shop over the past few years.

FIS offers a frustrating lack of vision, goals and team cohesion, and management that has no drive to succeed.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at FIS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Career stability. Most FIS employees have held their positions for many years.

Cons

FIS is highly bureaucratic, mired in policies, with insular divisions and dysfunctional teams run by entrenched do-nothing managers. Hiring and promotions are based on cronyism and do not reflect experience, performance, or qualifications. Performance is not rewarded and failure is not punished.

Rearranging the org-chart is not a substitute for vision. Purge the lackluster managers, hire more qualified people, build a vision, lead them to achieve it, and reward them for success.

In a downward spiral

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst I in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst I in Malvern, PA

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a good starter platform for people fresh out of college. A few departments are flexible.

Cons

The work environment at FIS has been in a nose dive over the last year or two. We've been turning record profits, yet executive-level management has been beating employees down and treating us terribly. Many programmers have started leaving the company for fair pay, often getting offers 20K greater than what they make at FIS. Not to mention the amount of security placed on our outdated machines slows the actual work to a crawl.

Stop treating employees like trash. Compensate competitively. We're turning huge profits for you, it's time you let us see some of the fruit of our labors.

An uninspired organization that needs to acquire ideas and talent because it cannot develop them organically.

I have been working at FIS

Pros

FIS is a large organization with a diversified product and service portfolio capable of surviving dips in the market. The company tends to pay employs the market rate for their skills. By and large people seem affable. If you just need steady work (not a career), this is a great place. Of all the jobs I've held, I've probably put the least amount of effort into my role at FIS, and whether I put in 50% or 100% I'm percieved and rewarded the same way. There are no ethnic, sexual, racial, religious, or other biases. The company is very diverse, and people respect one another's differences.

Cons

This is not a company that will invest in an employee; except for online CBT courses training of any kind is non-existant. The company just limited it's tuition reimbursement to $2,000 per year with a life time cap of $8,000.

I rarely if ever see employees recognized for going above and beyond, and poor performers seem to flourish flying under the radar. This is not the place for someone with real talent and ambition. I've seen some really well intentioned folk poor themselves into their job just to see their best efforts ignored. I find truly talented and driven people either get frustrated and leave or "check-out" mentally.

In my division, managers are not technical. They struggle to develop scalable and deployable software. I find managers making the same mistakens repeatedly often acting on instinct rather than experience and academic knowledge. Business analysts, support, and testing staff are very poorly trained often hired based on banking knowledge rathern that job specific skills, education, or experience. The company has a strong programmer base but lacks architectural expertise, which leads to an inability to design systems instead focusing on constructing them.

Good company to work for in the area

I worked at FIS

Pros

Big company - has the wherewithal to handle a down economy.

Cons

Too many mergers bringing in competing technologies leading to more political struggles than technical merits.

Reduce the head-quarters mentality and empower the local teams to be more creative. Encourage lateral movement to improve breadth of knowledge for employees

Great place to work ...

Current Employee - Software Business Analyst in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Software Business Analyst in Malvern, PA

I have been working at FIS

Pros

Flexibility - work life balance. understanding by management.

The

Cons

Salary is not too great... management could could start taking a long term view of market and career progression.

The primary market is banks which are in doldrums because of the credit crises so a lot of pain has been experienced in the last 6 months or so .... but the management is very very cooperative and open in its communication during this time.

As an external consultant it is even a more difficult job of retaining my job personally ... but good performance has helped me do just that.

could start taking a long term view of market and career progression.

Great products, excellent resources but bad upper management and focus.

I have been working at FIS

Pros

Excellent people - very competent. Good work life balance. Good remuneration.

Cons

FNIS is a very fragmented organization. Over the last few years it has acquired many companies that had competing products that have now become Silos in their own domains. There is no cross culturing between them and Sales as well as Implementation teams have no clear cut direction as to what products they should be focusing on.

Evolve into a Services company with a true customer focus. Stop the infighting and integrate the various internal groups. The domain in which we operate is highly competitive and focused, if we do not change then 10 years down the line we would be the Ford/GM of the Financial Software Services world.

FIS Photos