FIS

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014

FIS Chairman & CEO Frank Martire
Frank Martire

Pros
  • Pros: Excellent work life balance, Great People to work with (in 35 reviews)

• Flexible work environment, working remote, smart coworkers, good resume builder (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a struggle for those you cannot tell management "no" (in 15 reviews)

• Turnover of senior management made keeping projects moving forward (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Atmosphere

Current Employee - Software Developer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at FIS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great welcoming atmosphere, good projects, everyone is so nice. I could see myself working here long-term. Really great place. My managers and mentors were very encouraging, very helpful when I needed it, and most of all, patient with me if I was slow to understand something or made a mistake.

Cons

Not enough young people. I tend to feel bored sometimes because I don't have much in common with anybody. Of course, that's not what work is about, but it certainly helps to have people you can socialize with sometimes. Pay leaves quite a bit to be desired. Others offer a lot more for the same thing.

Try to find a way to provide higher compensation, and get more young people there.

FIS/eFunds

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at FIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

FIS has an extremely reliable support and training system in place that makes the workplace a very easy to learn and become comfortable with your working experience and environment.

Cons

FIS management often makes dynamic changes without thinking of the overall process down to the extreme end of the line and considers that the front line individuals will just be able to "roll with the situation".

Better and advanced notice of dynamic changes with regards to making sure rollouts are handled in a professional and systematic manner.

Great company. Doesn't invest training people and people management

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- opportunity to grow if you work hard
    - flexible work hours
    - people are great where i work at . (This is a midwest so can't expect anything less)
    - great stock match program

Cons

- low salary increments.
    - only 5k assistance for masters program . That doesn't even cover for the books of a modern day MBA or MSc.
    - although people are nice to you there is discrimination against non white folks. There are hardly any managers who are of color or have an office. although, close to 50 percent of employees are asian/or other race. A lot of excuses when it comes to promotions. Same rules doesn't seem to apply for others
    - some people abuse the working from home option and flexible hours. None of them ever get fired or actioned on.

Make more informed decisions when cutting budget. Rather than cutting the budget and asking mid level management to get resource to do the same work with less $$
    Invest on real training and support MBA MSc and certifications

Nice office, interesting management, Intern position

Former Employee - Intern in Maitland, FL
    Former Employee - Intern in Maitland, FL

I worked at FIS as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The Maitland office was nice
    There was a lot of management oversight
    Nice perks and special lunches
    Work was interesting

Cons

Management was over-bearing, team members didn't assist that much, work was very limited and planned out, weren't given any real projects to work on, only "dummy" projects

Trust the people working for you to do a good job and don't micromanage

Fast paced, productive, low paying, micro managed.

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like the work I do, finance processing, gaining experience on how the banking world operates. Clean environment.

Cons

The epitome of middle management. Micro managed as well. Call center stress. Unprofessional individuals. Extremely low paying for the work agents do there. Being in a leadership position, you would think this wouldn't exist.

Stop gossiping and trying to throw people under the bus to glorify yourself.

good company depending on the group

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager

I worked at FIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

comparable pay and benefits. good working environment. mostly good group of co-workers. internal opportunities for growth. opportunity to work remotely

Cons

seemingly (or realistically) lack of tactical planning. usually it's lack of strategy that is the problem at other companies, but at FIS it's lack of tactical. There are big plans, however not much thought, or not much organized thought on how to get there. middle management in some areas has little respect for employees.

middle management needs to get some soft skills

Great company to work for, would love to stay here til I retire

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

pay
    benefits
    401k match
    advancement
    24/7 site, offers more opportunities for people wanting to work different hours

Cons

advancement can sometimes depend where you live,

Opportunity, hard work, and a passion for the customer

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

In general, FIS has a positive culture. One of the greatest pleasures in being an FIS employee is working with some of the most dedicated and intelligent people I have ever met. With the pace of change in the financial industry, there is a lot of work to be done. Teams work together to deliver quality products. A common complaint among those who have left to take jobs with the competing companies is that there is no passion for the customer in their new organization, and they miss that element of everyday life at FIS.

As a large company with a focus on delivering value through innovation, there are many opportunities to work in areas where you feel your strengths are leveraged and contribution makes a tangible difference.

Cons

As in any large company, there are internal disconnects and company politics to deal with, but neither are rampant and they are generally manageable. Still, it's frustrating to see new concepts that clients are begging for die on the vine while other solutions providing at best, marginal value consume excessive development cycles and resource dollars.

There is generally a positive core culture that values employees as the company's greatest asset and holds the belief that we all succeed when we help each other succeed, but as in any large company, there are significant pockets of smarminess and mistrust. Your success within the company will depend on which part of the culture you land in and how well you can adapt to your surroundings.

The previous Chairman / CEO personally drove the positive aspects of the culture. As he moves toward retirement there is already some degradation of the "let's get it done" culture and a significant decline in management's interest in leveraging employee strengths and nurturing their growth. The best employees are noticing and getting restless. What's worse, clients are noticing... and that erodes the trust our business is built on.

The company recently hired an Employee Engagement Czar to help with that threat, but initial efforts have been viewed superficial band aids and window dressing for a problem that could threaten the company's long term success. My advice to FIS Management to remember that that you have assembled a collection of the most brilliant employees in the industry, and most take tremendous pride in delivering what the clients need to be successful. Management should (re-)learn how to embrace and leverage that as a powerful tool to drive revenue, client loyalty and shareholder value.

A Good Place to Start, But...

Current Employee - Network Administrator in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Network Administrator in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity to grow your skills, as they offer free CBT in just about any IT skill. Will look good on a resume for an IT professional.

Cons

Raises are miniscule... the great amount of growth has caused great amount of discontinuity between support groups. Pay is not competitive, so have an extraction plan in place.

Investigate applying Six Sigma and Lean methodologies to production operations and support. FIS is in great need of culture change as it regards retaining talent.

Heavily siloed. Stagnant pay rates, few get raises.

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My coworkers are experienced, helpful, and respect others' contributions. My boss gives me lots of latitude to structure my own time. The work can be complex and interesting.

Cons

My title isn't remotely reflective of my job, the company is heavily siloed and it can be hard to get another department to take responsibility for their own work. Pay has been virtually frozen for about five years, with either no raises for anyone or tiny raises but only for a few.

Your C-level execs get regular raises. It's time to give them to regular employees.

FIS Photos