FIS Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
621 reviews filtered by
Gary Norcross
1 Rating

Pros
  • Pros: Excellent work life balance, Great People to work with (in 35 reviews)

• Flexible work environment, working remote, smart coworkers, good resume builder (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a struggle for those you cannot tell management "no" (in 15 reviews)

• Turnover of senior management made keeping projects moving forward (in 18 reviews)

1. Pretty good place to work

Former Employee - Accountant II in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Accountant II in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at FIS

Pros

Cohesion, pretty good work life balance

Cons

Too big to make a difference

Not sure?

2. Great company to work for.

I have been working at FIS

Pros

Always looking out for their employees

Cons

constant changes among each departments

3. Excellent Work Environment!

Current Employee - Billing Contract Analyst I in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Billing Contract Analyst I in Orlando, FL

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

*Excellent Benefits
    *Give back to the Community
    *Excellent work life balance
    *Compensation is within the industry range
    *Growing company with opportunities to move around
    *Very positive about employee development

Cons

*No training program for non-management employees who want to become leaders - (They still have professional development programs for other job skills)

*My management does an excellent job, other teams may not be of the same opinion. However one must remember that personality types are big factors into what makes a good manager it is not necessarily the company's culture that is pushing a particular management style. My advice would be for some of the older ppl who came from the old companies should undergo some people skills training in how to deal with employees that report to them.

FIS - A great company with great people.

Former Contractor - Senior Programmer Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Senior Programmer Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at FIS as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, great people, many opportunities and locations. Good name recognition in the industry.

Cons

Many people are afraid that they may lose their job at any moment. Some members of management do not do anything to give a comfort level to employees about their job security.

Provide a clear career path for employees, and make job security more of a priority.

6. After corporate acquisition, things have slowly deteriorated to mediocre. Needs a jump start

Current Employee - Product Engineer
    Current Employee - Product Engineer

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are friendly, likable, and very helpful. Good work-life balance. Good locations. Kitchen stocked full of decent food. Lots of extra-ciricular opportunities.

Cons

Can't hire any good job candidates because the pay isn't high enough. Benefits are national and are poor compared to other companies in the area.

Hire more qualified and inspiring team members and get competitive benefits for the area.

7. Great atmosphere with really good people

I have been working at FIS

Pros

You will learn a lot from the folks who work there.

Cons

Need to hire more people!

8. I enjoyed my 14 year career at M&I Data/Metavante/FIS. I have never hidden behind anonymity so you'll recognize me. :)

Former Employee - NOC/ISOC Manager in Brown Deer, WI
    Former Employee - NOC/ISOC Manager in Brown Deer, WI

I worked at FIS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was able to learn and do many types of jobs in my 14 years at FIS. I was a PM, network engineer, NHS manager, NOC Manager and ISOC manager. I loved the opportunities to stretch, the work and most of all the people (Clients, employees and vendors). Like sports, if you show your value you will be rewarded. Like any company we had our challenges but we met and exceeded them. I never feared for my job by respectfully and openly expressing myself even to Frank Martire our CEO.

Cons

Fearing a RIF every fall and spring it seemed. Not unlike any large company though so that is a con of being in the work force. But if you have a history of positive attitude, willingness to learn, keep skills up to date with in demand technology and a have a can do attitude you should be fine.

Try not to discredit Milwaukee based employees simply because they were formerly Metavante. The vast majority of employees and managers truly care about the client and each other! I realize executive hands are tied as a publicly traded company to manage based upon stock performance.

9. Not a Great Developer Environment

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst I in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at FIS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The other developers were fun, which helped. Several of whom have also left.
    Senior developers are all really knowledgeable and helpful.
    You get to do the full spectrum of development work. From databases to Java to Jenkins and everything in between.
    9-5 workday with privileges to work from home 2 days a week.
    Rarely asked to stay late or put in "extra effort".
    Ping-Pong table in the cafeteria with bi-monthly tournaments.
    Columbia, MD is a great area with a lot to do.

Cons

The software is generally considered to be a mess, but that's not an issue unique to this company. It's primarily developed in ColdFusion (80%) with some Java J2EE (20%) for newer components. Your only real option for understanding a subsystem would be to read the code or ask a senior developer. Reading the code becomes increasingly difficult with poorly managed and undocumented ColdFusion code because of the extreme flexibility of the language. Senior developers are all really helpful.
    I mentioned above that you get to do the full spectrum of development work. You also get forced into roles of which you want no part. Poorly gathered requirements and incomplete enhancement specifications mean you'll have to become a business analyst when the client routinely decides, "This isn't what they wanted". You also will take on the role of tester because the road-map between dev and prod rarely accounts for any kind of testing. Anything less and the issues will sometimes make it to the client before being discovered.
    They tend to hire younger developers because they're cheaper and the company won't acknowledge current developer market rates.
    You can not be promoted without a vacancy becoming available.
    You have multiple managers to report to who don't seem to communicate with each other.
    Agile is half baked. There are daily status-report meetings with one manager, and weekly status report meetings with another.
    There are nine different releases of the software. With that, fragmentation was an issue.

Hire proven developers. Offer competitive wages.
    Hire proven managers. Offer competitive wages.
    Don't make promises to clients or employees that you can not deliver.

10. Good job security

I worked at FIS

Pros

Stable company; great stock match. Work life balance is good.

Cons

Adverse to new technology -- feels like not much chance for movement. Long term units ingrained.

Improve company culture -- make it feel more like one company instead of multiple companies.

11. Limited opportunity for growth

I have been working at FIS

Pros

Excellent for customer service positions

Cons

Any other area has limited growth. Limited to no pay increases.

Keep your promises. Provide clear direction on strategy.

FIS Photos