FIS

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014

FIS Chairman & CEO Frank Martire
Frank Martire

Pros
  • Pros: Excellent work life balance, Great People to work with (in 35 reviews)

• Flexible work environment, working remote, smart coworkers, good resume builder (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a struggle for those you cannot tell management "no" (in 15 reviews)

• Turnover of senior management made keeping projects moving forward (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

good company depending on the group

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager

I worked at FIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

comparable pay and benefits. good working environment. mostly good group of co-workers. internal opportunities for growth. opportunity to work remotely

Cons

seemingly (or realistically) lack of tactical planning. usually it's lack of strategy that is the problem at other companies, but at FIS it's lack of tactical. There are big plans, however not much thought, or not much organized thought on how to get there. middle management in some areas has little respect for employees.

middle management needs to get some soft skills

FIS/eFunds

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at FIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

FIS has an extremely reliable support and training system in place that makes the workplace a very easy to learn and become comfortable with your working experience and environment.

Cons

FIS management often makes dynamic changes without thinking of the overall process down to the extreme end of the line and considers that the front line individuals will just be able to "roll with the situation".

Better and advanced notice of dynamic changes with regards to making sure rollouts are handled in a professional and systematic manner.

Great company to work for, would love to stay here til I retire

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

pay
    benefits
    401k match
    advancement
    24/7 site, offers more opportunities for people wanting to work different hours

Cons

advancement can sometimes depend where you live,

Opportunity, hard work, and a passion for the customer

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

In general, FIS has a positive culture. One of the greatest pleasures in being an FIS employee is working with some of the most dedicated and intelligent people I have ever met. With the pace of change in the financial industry, there is a lot of work to be done. Teams work together to deliver quality products. A common complaint among those who have left to take jobs with the competing companies is that there is no passion for the customer in their new organization, and they miss that element of everyday life at FIS.

As a large company with a focus on delivering value through innovation, there are many opportunities to work in areas where you feel your strengths are leveraged and contribution makes a tangible difference.

Cons

As in any large company, there are internal disconnects and company politics to deal with, but neither are rampant and they are generally manageable. Still, it's frustrating to see new concepts that clients are begging for die on the vine while other solutions providing at best, marginal value consume excessive development cycles and resource dollars.

There is generally a positive core culture that values employees as the company's greatest asset and holds the belief that we all succeed when we help each other succeed, but as in any large company, there are significant pockets of smarminess and mistrust. Your success within the company will depend on which part of the culture you land in and how well you can adapt to your surroundings.

The previous Chairman / CEO personally drove the positive aspects of the culture. As he moves toward retirement there is already some degradation of the "let's get it done" culture and a significant decline in management's interest in leveraging employee strengths and nurturing their growth. The best employees are noticing and getting restless. What's worse, clients are noticing... and that erodes the trust our business is built on.

The company recently hired an Employee Engagement Czar to help with that threat, but initial efforts have been viewed superficial band aids and window dressing for a problem that could threaten the company's long term success. My advice to FIS Management to remember that that you have assembled a collection of the most brilliant employees in the industry, and most take tremendous pride in delivering what the clients need to be successful. Management should (re-)learn how to embrace and leverage that as a powerful tool to drive revenue, client loyalty and shareholder value.

A Good Place to Start, But...

Current Employee - Network Administrator in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Network Administrator in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity to grow your skills, as they offer free CBT in just about any IT skill. Will look good on a resume for an IT professional.

Cons

Raises are miniscule... the great amount of growth has caused great amount of discontinuity between support groups. Pay is not competitive, so have an extraction plan in place.

Investigate applying Six Sigma and Lean methodologies to production operations and support. FIS is in great need of culture change as it regards retaining talent.

Lots of layoffs, which results in an absurd amount of overtime.

Current Employee - Production Mail-Lower Management in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Production Mail-Lower Management in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good group of people, large variety of jobs with opportunity to transfer between departments, nice facility...

Cons

Upper management disconnected from what goes on in their department, too much overtime (for the last year I have averaged 16-24 hours of OT per month and often work 2-3 weeks straight), not all shifts receive the same benefits

Find out what is going on in your department from multiple people on all shifts. It will allow you to make better decisions and prevent mistakes.

Heavily siloed. Stagnant pay rates, few get raises.

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My coworkers are experienced, helpful, and respect others' contributions. My boss gives me lots of latitude to structure my own time. The work can be complex and interesting.

Cons

My title isn't remotely reflective of my job, the company is heavily siloed and it can be hard to get another department to take responsibility for their own work. Pay has been virtually frozen for about five years, with either no raises for anyone or tiny raises but only for a few.

Your C-level execs get regular raises. It's time to give them to regular employees.

Good balance of work and flexibility

I worked at FIS

Pros

They had a very flexible schedule and great minds in different areas. Also a lot of perks in the main HQ areas.

Cons

Hard to transfer into other roles or move up. Since they're a leader in the industry they don't really consider you for a job if it's not already on your résumé

Great place to work!

I have been working at FIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly environment, good experienced professionals, and good pay.

Cons

Average benefits and recognition

Company benefits and offerings under their cafeteria plans

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at FIS

Pros

They offered competitive plans and low deductibles for the big company benefits packages. Good Dental, Medical and Vision plans. Also Health screenings and informational meetings to enhance the employees health.

Cons

Low pay structure for this call center. The call center also closed in 2013.

FIS Photos