FLSmidth Minerals USA

Add Photos

Thomas Schulz

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bethlehem, PA

ProsYoung people are trained well
    Opportunities to travel internationally
    Good benefits

ConsCompensation is low
    Too much off shoring of work to India

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain young and good employees. The company is bleeding.

A Great Company that has Fallen Victim to Poor Planning in a Highly Volatile Market

Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Midvale, UT

ProsI worked with some very ethical and intelligent people and had an extremely fair boss. The building was brand new and beautiful and in a great location. The benefits were competitive and the work was very interesting and engaging. The work gave me the opportunity to learn many new skills, which my boss supported very enthusiastically.

ConsFLSmidth is very volatile in that they rapidly expanded and upon onset of market volatility they conducted repeated massive layoffs. In my few months of working there, there were 4 sets of layoffs and the layoff threat was constantly held over our heads. It very much dampened employee morale and caused employees to hoard their work. In addition, the compensation was below competition. There were some damaging politics between the different offices worldwide that would ultimately hurt the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease conduct long-term planning to help sustain the company and the employees in leaner times without repeat massive layoffs. Please don't continuously conduct wave after wave of layoffs with no foreseeable resolution. Please consider thinning layers of middle management. Please take ownership for all worldwide offices and please resolve damaging intra-office politics that are ultimately passed on to the customer.

Completely unsatisfactory

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Midvale, UT

ProsNone, they have no idea how to run an organization.

ConsThis organization has no integrity and driven by only selfish politically ignorant overpaid salesmen. This is not one organization, but many small companies competing under the name Flsmidth.
    The organizational structure changes so often the write it in pencil.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps determining folks worth by a job well done as opposed to being from Pennsylvania.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Restructuring

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people to work with/ Everyone chips in and does their part

ConsCurrently restructuring with a lot of confusion in regards to responsibilities between regions/divisions

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should step up and clearly define the responsibilities between divisions

A roller Coaster ride

Project Manager (Current Employee) Midvale, UT

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsIn their growth years they took no thought for the repercussions in a down turn market. Poor planning in my estimation.

Advice to Senior ManagementCar more for the people that have given many times their whole career life to this organization to be terminated summarily at the first down turn. Cut the many levels of management rather than those who do the work.

Out of control

Engineering Manager (Former Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsExcellent engineering challenges. Great working with customers on projects.

Conscompany values, management maturity, way too much politics, management has it figured out and does not listen

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on results, not talk. Support your people.

Great experience working in a global setting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, people, work experience

Conslosing my job do to out sourcing

excellent job

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Bethlehem, PA

Prosgreat company, I love it here

Consthey dont pay much for starters

Over all good place to work

Mechanical Drafter (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsVery friendly atmosphere, Management actually cares about the employees, great communication throughout, capable of changing with the market and technology

ConsSlow to advance in position or gain pay raise, tend to get blindsided by bad news, sometimes slow to hand out enough work

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your employees busy and use them to their full potential. Also, inform them of any potential lay-offs ahead of time.

Good place to work but really bad management

ProsFriendly coworkers, going for a big jobs, the job is always there. I have no problem getting time offs whenever needed.

ConsUpper management told the lower management not to give good grade annual review points. Annual reviews based on how long you've been working there, not the job competency the employee possess at that time, for example: "i can't give you this high points because you haven't work here long enough"...duhhhh

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be sincere when you say thank you to the lower level employees. Don't waste company's money by going out for lunch all the time with other managers (work related lunch? give me a break)

Worked for FLSmidth Minerals USA? Contribute to the Community!