FM Facility Maintenance

1. Intern for Summer

Former Employee - Intern in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Intern in Hartford, CT

I worked at FM Facility Maintenance

Pros

Solid Co-Workers
    Fun Environment
    Great Superiors
    Transparent Environment

I enjoyed my time here but felt it short lived. Limited ceiling I would say. Other than that really enjoyed my time here.

Cons

Not sure if growth was possible
    Office location is suspect, disjointed from downtown
    Odd industry, feels like the model is duplicated easily
    Unhappy subcontractors, worker bee like mentality from some
    Lot of people in the office who seemed to be there to get a paycheck and leave

Advice to Management

Add value, drive performance. Never felt micromanaged which was great. Allow the company changes to be transparent across the board. Many execs just came and went and no one knew what happened

2. Great People Incosistant Leadership

I have been working at FM Facility Maintenance full-time

Pros

The people are very talented and full of great creativity.

Cons

Often decisions are made with no consideration to how they will impact workflow and moral.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They are more than pieces on a chess board.

3. IT Specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, CT

I worked at FM Facility Maintenance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They pay on time and provide insurance and 401k

Cons

everything else that maks a job worthwile.

Advice to Management

Treat your people like they matter to your bottom line

5. Customer service representative

I worked at FM Facility Maintenance

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

High stress environment. Poor management with lack of direction, skills, and experience

Advice to Management

Get it together

6. Well paid, not challenged, limited job security

I have been working at FM Facility Maintenance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I as well paid, and with ability to work from home, I loved the flexibility that I had. My initial job that I was hired to do was fun, exciting, and kept me busy but fully engaged with the company and our clients

Cons

While working from home brought great flexibility, it also distanced me from my coworkers, and when I when my job responsibilities changed so did my feeling of being part of the group. Additionally my new work responsibilities were vastly different from what I was hired to do, and it did not challenge or excite me. There was an interest in what I was doing by executive leadership, but even that waned over time, and eventually was part of the reason my job position was eliminated

Advice to Management

Work to unify the company; clearly identify the goals, objectives, and values, and make sure that everyone feels connected and a part to the overall company, not just their individual service centers or remote employees with no strong connection anywhere.

High School Environment

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hartford, CT

I worked at FM Facility Maintenance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The ease of sitting at a desk and answering calls.

Cons

Unless you were in the clique, nobody helped you or bothered with you. You got one 10 min break you needed to clock out for for an 8 hr shift. None of the managers were nice or seemed as they cared for anyone. I saw multiple people in my group cry and quit because they couldn't handle how mean everyone was. Very mean girl environment.

Advice to Management

Help others. Make people comfortable. Get to know people that are new and not just old workers. Most of all, stop with the high school environment. Very gossipy. Not family orientated.

An honest opinion

Former Employee - Facility Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Facility Specialist in Hartford, CT

I worked at FM Facility Maintenance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I liked the people I worked with. I liked the clients we had. Promotions were very hard to come by after the first or second. Being one that moved through the ranks, from the lowest level employee to in the middle I'm familiar with the process. The company values come down to the dollar. There is a little money thrown at employee events, but it's all a facade.

Cons

The company is driven by financial success. Yes, I realize that it's important to make money, but ultimately we used poor quality providers to maximize our profits. On top of that, we had very stringent requirements on invoicing which meant the bad service providers also ended up not getting paid. We maintained a "Reserve" for expected accounts payable, but it was not near the norm... because we never paid on the accounts.

We had a preventative maintenance program for our customers where we bill our contracted rates, but have no systems in place to verify the work is complete. If it never gets done, great... we get paid more. If one store every 20 says something, well, we get it done or return their money.

I could go on, but I won't. If you are offered a position in the Hartford office - Don't take it. The position will be moved in the future, as the entire company will dissolve the Connecticut office in the near future ( I've seen the outline and cost benefit analysis)

Advice to Management

Be straightforward. Don't use people for their feedback and leave them high and dry when you change your model.

Review of FM

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at FM Facility Maintenance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can work from home.

Cons

They do not have a good business model.

This is not the Career you're looking for...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at FM Facility Maintenance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are very few "Pro's" when discussing this company. As many others have said, and bears repeating, the co-workers are one of the few stand out positives of a job with FM Facility Maintenance.

Cons

Most positions at FM Facility Maintenance are extremely stressful, especially if you are client facing. When you throw in a Director, a Manager, a Supervisor,a "Lead" and a Senior .. all trying to manage you with different styles and degrees of micromanagement (and it is ALL micro-management) it quickly becomes evident that any creativity or initiative will be quickly stifled. There are certain people at FM who should never have been placed in an "executive"role. Verbally abusive, belittling lacking any professional courtesy what so ever.

This company has lost more clients due to mismanagement and over promising and under delivering than I can name , there isn't an ex employee from FM that isn't doing better somewhere else (Some of the people doing better are currently on unemployment).

Executive management lies to anyone they come in contact with. Are you a Client? They will sell you on savings but provide a smoke and mirror show that rivals anything you can see in Vegas. Savings .. almost non existent.

Are you a Supplier ironically called a "Service Partner"? Paying you in a timely fashion is a top priority. No it's not, review your contracts they are building in extending payment terms. It will have you LONGING for a 45 day period.

Employees are lied to the most. I think the most disgusting lie is that each employee is valued like a member of a family. I was with this company long enough to witness MASSIVE layoffs each and every year, Entire departments wiped out with zero notice and minimal compensation and jobs sent oversees.

This company will soon change its name AGAIN to avoid the reputation they have cultivated.. but never fear a reputation this "good" will follow them no matter what name they assume.

Pay: Lower than average
    Insurance cost : High
    Insurance value: Low to Medium
    Benefits: Reduced every year
    Feeling of Security: None

Taking a job at FM Facility Maintenance may provide a paycheck.. but you will be the one that ends up paying... because FM Facility Maintenance never does.

Advice to Management

Learn the Golden Rule, Practice the Golden Rule.

11. Great

Current Employee - Procurement Analyst in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Procurement Analyst in Hartford, CT

I have been working at FM Facility Maintenance (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, supervisors are great people

Cons

laid off too frequent for work life

Advice to Management

Lesson to your workers they are all very knowledgeable and great at their jobs.

RSS Feed </> Embed