FM Facility Maintenance

Jim Reavey

1. Billing Specialist

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Middletown, CT

I worked at FM Facility Maintenance (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people! Always someone there to guide, Supervisors also did our jobs so they understood the challenges.

Cons

Many changes happening some too quickly and end result sometimes was not great

Advice to Management

Don't move to fast, you might miss the important stuff

2. lack luster experience

Pros

best thing that the company had to offer was the caliber of people they were able to recruit. met some great colleagues with whom I will stay connected.

Cons

Management's approach to problem solving and communication needs improvement. Might succeed in spite of the internal drama and politics.

Advice to Management

spend more time talking to your customers and your employees. find a way to strike a balance between towing the line and letting employees do what they were hired to do.

3. Not bitter just honest former employer

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/L1 in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/L1 in Hartford, CT

I worked at FM Facility Maintenance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Training for FM was great. 2) Certain members of management are absolutely brilliant, and have made the company money.

Cons

FSN training was horrible. Extreme favoritism when dealing with upwards mobility. They cut out the incentives and when you mentioned the paycheck cut you were essentially told to be grateful you still had a job. This is a deal breaker for me. So I implemented a well thought out exit strategy.

Advice to Management

Be more open and receptive. Get better trainers for FSN module.

5. Intern for Summer

Former Employee - Intern in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Intern in Hartford, CT

Pros

Solid Co-Workers Fun Environment Great Superiors Transparent Environment I enjoyed my time here but felt it short lived. Limited ceiling I would say. Other than that really enjoyed my time here.

Cons

Not sure if growth was possible Office location is suspect, disjointed from downtown Odd industry, feels like the model is duplicated easily Unhappy subcontractors, worker bee like mentality from some Lot of people in the office who seemed to be there to get a paycheck and leave

Advice to Management

Add value, drive performance. Never felt micromanaged which was great. Allow the company changes to be transparent across the board. Many execs just came and went and no one knew what happened

6. Great People Incosistant Leadership

I have been working at FM Facility Maintenance full-time

Pros

The people are very talented and full of great creativity.

Cons

Often decisions are made with no consideration to how they will impact workflow and moral.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They are more than pieces on a chess board.

7. IT Specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, CT

I worked at FM Facility Maintenance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They pay on time and provide insurance and 401k

Cons

everything else that maks a job worthwile.

Advice to Management

Treat your people like they matter to your bottom line

8. Customer service representative

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

High stress environment. Poor management with lack of direction, skills, and experience

Advice to Management

Get it together

9. Well paid, not challenged, limited job security

I have been working at FM Facility Maintenance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I as well paid, and with ability to work from home, I loved the flexibility that I had. My initial job that I was hired to do was fun, exciting, and kept me busy but fully engaged with the company and our clients

Cons

While working from home brought great flexibility, it also distanced me from my coworkers, and when I when my job responsibilities changed so did my feeling of being part of the group. Additionally my new work responsibilities were vastly different from what I was hired to do, and it did not challenge or excite me. There was an interest in what I was doing by executive leadership, but even that waned over time, and eventually was part of the reason my job position was eliminated

Advice to Management

Work to unify the company; clearly identify the goals, objectives, and values, and make sure that everyone feels connected and a part to the overall company, not just their individual service centers or remote employees with no strong connection anywhere.

High School Environment

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hartford, CT

I worked at FM Facility Maintenance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The ease of sitting at a desk and answering calls.

Cons

Unless you were in the clique, nobody helped you or bothered with you. You got one 10 min break you needed to clock out for for an 8 hr shift. None of the managers were nice or seemed as they cared for anyone. I saw multiple people in my group cry and quit because they couldn't handle how mean everyone was. Very mean girl environment.

Advice to Management

Help others. Make people comfortable. Get to know people that are new and not just old workers. Most of all, stop with the high school environment. Very gossipy. Not family orientated.

An honest opinion

Former Employee - Facility Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Facility Specialist in Hartford, CT

I worked at FM Facility Maintenance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I liked the people I worked with. I liked the clients we had. Promotions were very hard to come by after the first or second. Being one that moved through the ranks, from the lowest level employee to in the middle I'm familiar with the process. The company values come down to the dollar. There is a little money thrown at employee events, but it's all a facade.

Cons

The company is driven by financial success. Yes, I realize that it's important to make money, but ultimately we used poor quality providers to maximize our profits. On top of that, we had very stringent requirements on invoicing which meant the bad service providers also ended up not getting paid. We maintained a "Reserve" for expected accounts payable, but it was not near the norm... because we never paid on the accounts. We had a preventative maintenance program for our customers where we bill our contracted rates, but have no systems in place to verify the work is complete. If it never gets done, great... we get paid more. If one store every 20 says something, well, we get it done or return their money. I could go on, but I won't. If you are offered a position in the Hartford office - Don't take it. The position will be moved in the future, as the entire company will dissolve the Connecticut office in the near future ( I've seen the outline and cost benefit analysis)

Advice to Management

Be straightforward. Don't use people for their feedback and leave them high and dry when you change your model.

RSS Feed </> Embed