FM Global Reviews

Updated September 4, 2014
4.0

FM Global Chairman and CEO Shivan S. Subramaniam
Shivan S. Subramaniam

Pros
  • Great work life balance and fun place to work It does depend on your manager (in 17 reviews)

• Good compensation when considering the overall benefits package (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance skews the wrong way when you are good but that isn;t always rewarded or recognized (in 6 reviews)

• Middle management not given the power nessecary to make needed decisions, which slows down progress (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

An ethical place to work staffed with quality people.

Current Employee - Engineering Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits. FM Global is proactive in trying to keep emplyees happy.

Cons

This is a service related industry and it is not always easy to keep the customers happy.

Continue to stay true to the core values that has allowed FM Global to be over 175 years old.

Great Learning Environment

I have been working at FM Global as an intern for less than a year

Pros

This is a very prestigious company. I love interning for them. There is a lot of opportunities here and I am learning something new every day.

Cons

There are no cons. It took me time to understand the corporate environment but that was just being new.

Great Company to work for!

Current Employee - Client Processing Associate II  in  Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Client Processing Associate II in Norwood, MA

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You aren't micro managed and able to make your position your own!

Cons

Growth available within company but limited.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stable company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Johnston, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnston, RI

I worked at FM Global full-time

Pros

Stability, stability...stability. Because people tend to spend the majority of their careers here, there is a tremendous amount of resident knowledge specific to commercial property insurance that has and continues to serve the company and its policyholders very well. Also, the company is a mutual insurer, so senior management ultimately runs the company (not Wall Street).

Cons

If you are looking for career advancement over a reasonable timeframe, be prepared to watch ice bergs melt. Because people tend to spend the majority of their careers here, professional advancement tends to be stifled in favor of job stability. This means political positioning is a significant factor in determining who gets what when opportunities open up. Also, there is very much of a "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" mentality on the part of management. Since the company has been in business for over 175 years and its business model is all about avoiding risk (for itself and policyholders), there is usually a tremendous amount of resistance towards new ideas, even when these make sense. This is particularly true for newer hires that come in with a head of steam wanting to make a positive difference - the "old-timers" tend to look down on these folks as naive renegades. Accordingly, there are few middle managers that have the courage to stick their necks out for employees that may draw attention to themselves.

Before I left, I sensed upper management was intent on cultivating a more progressive and nimble culture to appeal to younger hires and to throw off its "wallpaper" image: "we are here, we will always be here, but few people notice us." I also sensed there was a new emphasis on creating more transparency to identify those who are consistently contributing vs. those who are just "hanging on" until retirement. I'm not sure how successful the company has been along these lines. But I strongly believe the adoption of 360 degree performance evaluations (from top to bottom) would go a long way towards improving the culture, removing political obstacles and making middle management more accountable.

FM Global is a great place for a career

Current Employee - Underwriter  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The total compensation is great. Benefits include a pension, company car and 401k match. The workplace atmosphere is also relaxed.

Cons

Promotions within a department require you to carry the responsibility before receiving the pay.

Great company even better people.

Former Employee - File/Mail Clerk  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - File/Mail Clerk in Plano, TX

I worked at FM Global full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The yearly bonus at the end of the year was a great thing to strive for.

Cons

The office culture was a little to much gossipy.

Some upper management was not the best to work with.

Great Place, Great People, Great Benefits

Current Employee - Field Engineering Assistant  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Field Engineering Assistant in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great renovated work environment, people are humble, and very friendly.

Cons

Some do not like change and are not open to others.

Great Company, would recommend

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Johnston, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnston, RI

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great group of people to work with; great benefits (which is the reason given for lower salaries); once you're in, you're in for life unless you really screw up. Great senior management, Shivan is an admirable and extremely smart man.

Cons

Lower salaries (despite great benefits); not much upward mobility; slow project lifecycle; the IT (IS) department and engineers are clearly considered the most important above all other employees.

Work-life balance needs to improve. There needs to be more opportunities for part time work and flexible arrangements.

Bye Bye Big Brother Politics

I worked at FM Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office was close to home, some very nice, sincere individuals I had the pleasure of becoming acquainted with in my tenure, compensation and benefits were very good.

Cons

Any organization that doesn't see an issue with a 15 year technology project that is still not being delivered might benefit revisiting/ restaffing their technology leadership teams. On the contrary, this organization continues to promote bad politics, back stabbing and gossiping as their undercurrent. I should have taken a course with a syllabus noting a requirement to watch successive seasons of Big Brother to truly anticipate the lying, manipulation and, what is reminiscent of high-school cafeteria "chatter", to be fully prepared.

I am not willing to invest time providing insights to a team that promotes such an environment

Great company for technical, engineering types

Current Employee - Research
    Current Employee - Research

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work-life balance and benefits
    Collegial work environment
    Excellent employee retention
    Interesting and engaging technical work
    Internally funded projects; great resources

Cons

Too much emphasis on seniority
    Miscommunication and petty "feuds" between some units
    No prospects for meningful career advancement via a technical ladder
    Company needs to market itself better to attract new talent (i had never heard of this company before joining)

To be fair, all of the issues above are currently being addressed and improved

None at this time.

Worked for FM Global? Contribute to the Community!