FM Global

FM Global Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

FM Global Chairman and CEO Shivan S. Subramaniam

Shivan S. Subramaniam

Pros
  • Great work life balance and fun place to work It does depend on your manager (in 17 reviews)

• Good compensation when considering the overall benefits package (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance skews the wrong way when you are good but that isn;t always rewarded or recognized (in 6 reviews)

• Middle management not given the power nessecary to make needed decisions, which slows down progress (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place, Great People, Great Benefits

Field Engineering Assistant (Current Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsGreat renovated work environment, people are humble, and very friendly.

ConsSome do not like change and are not open to others.

Great Company, would recommend

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Johnston, RI

ProsGreat group of people to work with; great benefits (which is the reason given for lower salaries); once you're in, you're in for life unless you really screw up. Great senior management, Shivan is an admirable and extremely smart man.

ConsLower salaries (despite great benefits); not much upward mobility; slow project lifecycle; the IT (IS) department and engineers are clearly considered the most important above all other employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance needs to improve. There needs to be more opportunities for part time work and flexible arrangements.

Great company for technical, engineering types

Research (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work-life balance and benefits
    Collegial work environment
    Excellent employee retention
    Interesting and engaging technical work
    Internally funded projects; great resources

ConsToo much emphasis on seniority
    Miscommunication and petty "feuds" between some units
    No prospects for meningful career advancement via a technical ladder
    Company needs to market itself better to attract new talent (i had never heard of this company before joining)

To be fair, all of the issues above are currently being addressed and improved

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good company and happy to be here.

ProsGreat work life balance and fun place to work It does depend on your manager. Lots of training and support.

ConsHard to get noticed. Manager is the key to happiness at FM.

Proven business model - focus on long careers for employees

ProsEmployee retention is very high among industry peers
    Work life balance is better than any of my peers at other companies
    Incredible benefits packages - especially the low health care costs out of pocket for families

ConsSlow adaptation of IT programs can be frustrating if you rely on these systems

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote talent before they are poached by the competition

Excellent place to work.

Engineering Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsReally good training program and excellent tools to work. Great benefits such as 100% paid pension plan and 401(k).

ConsBase salary is very attached to the job market of the city or town you live even if you work in other areas were the job market is better. Also the base salary is usually much lower than midpoint of salary range when compared with competitors. Work-life balance is affected due to non-sense travelling.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove employee retention on Field Risk Engineering.

great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Johnston, RI

Prosgreat company to work for. great profit sharing program.

Consbad managers remain and drive out great employees. a lot of politics.

Great benefits with a generally low stress, low resonsibility environment.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsInteresting business model, company is very stable and bonuses are offered to every employee.

ConsNot the easiest company to advance in. Middle management not given the power nessecary to make needed decisions, which slows down progress.

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work / life balance, support and training. Company stability and fairly good pay are additional pluses.

ConsNot many opportunities to advance as many employees are quite loyal but understandably so, as it is a good place to work.

It depends on your manager...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStable company, great senior management, people are friendly. Promotes health and well being with a great campus for strolling and a fitness center to boot.

ConsA lot of middle management issues... it is apparant that seniority rules over talent, drive and skill. Also, projects are ridiculously slow moving because there are so many cooks in the kitchen, aka Middle Managers. Somebody make a decision already.

Worked for FM Global? Contribute to the Community!