FMC Reviews

65 reviews filtered by
2.7
FMC Chairman, President, and CEO Pierre Brondeau
Pierre Brondeau

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are good, but they have to pay enough to try and keep people from leaving (in 3 reviews)

• FMC has a fairly stable work force (for those interested in job security) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor management, particularly in HR at Green River (in 3 reviews)

• It being a chemical company the IT department is not given much attention (in 3 reviews)

1. Wonderful opportunity to work with a intelligent colleagues and be challenged

Former Intern - Data Management Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Data Management Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at FMC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, friendly staff, meaningful work assignments, and gained a vast amount of knowledge with this experience at FMC. The people care about your success and you feel like a valued team member.

Cons

There was not a single negative experience with my time at FMC.

2. great company

I worked at FMC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They do excellent training and staff

Cons

hours long and pay needs to be increased

Advice to Management

increase compensation

Speaking as a long-tenured employee, I believe FMC's best days are behind it. New management is surely to blame.

I have been working at FMC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are the best part on my job; without them, wouldn't be worth staying.

Cons

Poor collaboration between business and IT groups, which results in poor solutions. Too much reliance on consultants, who add limited value. New executive management does not understand FMC's business segments at the level they need to, resulting in poor strategic decisions and planning.

Advice to Management

Stop preaching to rank & file about exhibiting good conduct & ethics, while the executive management team doesn't practice what they preach. Stop dismantling a formerly well-diversified company at such an alarming rate. Quarter after quarter, constant over-promising and under-delivering on earnings results; be realistic!

5. A good chemical company

I worked at FMC

Pros

Understand outsourcing and global talent

Cons

Still very rigid in its understanding

Cowboys

I have been working at FMC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits; people in field are good to work with

Cons

Unless you are in the corporate office, your job is not important. Poor management running things, a bunch of cowboys

Advice to Management

Recognize your employees in the field, the ones making you all the money.

7. Okay

Former Employee - Enterprise Systems in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Systems in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at FMC part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and a good chemical manufacturing company. Nice people great to work with makes work enjoyable. Flexible work environment.

Cons

No benefits for interns since interns are not on contract. It's an okay place if you are in IT. It being a chemical company the IT department is not given much attention. The company does not have much visibility.

Good stable product and secure jobs

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at FMC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and good job security outlook.

Cons

Staffing is too lean and therefore, stressful. Do more with less people, unless you work at headquarters. Corporate policies/procedures not very balanced with what is needed at the production level. Safety is #1 but not listed in the job descriptions as #1 and goes from there. New CEO and his followers brought in over the past few years try to make this company just like the one they came from. Managers change every 2 years so there is no consistency

Advice to Management

Need to be less top heavy with staff on the global level. Not sure where their diversity talk is when they deal with staff at the production facilities level. If safety is #1 then every procedure and job description would start with safety.

Mediocrity rules

Former Employee - Unable to Share in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Unable to Share in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at FMC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility around working hours and locations. Some great people at the middle and lower levels of the corporation, although they usually leave after a few years. I also had one incredible and exceptional boss, who also left of course. I wish I could say more good things - but that was about it in my experience. However, I have heard good things about the company's Agriculture division (where I didn't work).

Cons

Where to start? The division where I worked had no strategy, partly as the result of years of cost cutting and under-investment, partly due to a lack of industry and customer understanding, and partly due to a management culture that emphasizes conformity and analytical skills over creativity and teamwork. By the time I left, trust in divisional and senior management was at very low levels and so many people had left or been fired that it was difficult to see a meaningful future for the business.

I was also concerned that I wasn't going to learn much. With one exception, the business' current leaders (at least in my area) were kind of nice but stunningly mediocre thinkers. They also knew nothing about their customers or their customers' businesses and weren't interested in them. When I offered to lend an important (and short) industry article to Someone, the response was "Nah, that's what I have you for." The contrast between FMC and my current employer in this respect is staggering.

One of the saddest things of all is that I never heard anyone in HR or management use the word 'teamwork' other than superficially. It was all about 'leadership' and the individual. This emphasis led to a lot of very silly meeting behaviors (one-upmanship, talking for the sake of talking, putting down others to enhance one's own standing, etc). Again, where I now work is a huge improvement.

If you like highly political, inward-looking environments that emphasize style and self-promotion over commercial flair, technical skills or ability to drive results, you will love this place.

Advice to Management

Not much point, is there?
    (-;

10. Great dynamic environment

Current Employee - Business Development in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at FMC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many challenges which keeps things interesting. Smart, talented people to learn from although it takes time to find the right people to connect with.

Cons

No formal training, you need to be able to learn on the fly and figure out how to get things done on your own. Sometimes too much focus on short term results.

11. Good work environment and the management is very competent .

Current Employee - GL Accountant Treasury in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - GL Accountant Treasury in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at FMC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with, lots of positive reinforcement and the company values the workers there

Cons

The company's top leadership appears to want to position the company for a buyout.

Advice to Management

Oracle is a better system than SAP and who ever set up the SAP system made some major inter company system errors.