FMC Reviews

65 reviews filtered by
2.7
FMC Chairman, President, and CEO Pierre Brondeau
Pierre Brondeau

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are good, but they have to pay enough to try and keep people from leaving (in 3 reviews)

• FMC has a fairly stable work force (for those interested in job security) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor management, particularly in HR at Green River (in 3 reviews)

• It being a chemical company the IT department is not given much attention (in 3 reviews)

Cowboys

I have been working at FMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits; people in field are good to work with

Cons

Unless you are in the corporate office, your job is not important. Poor management running things, a bunch of cowboys

Advice to Management

Recognize your employees in the field, the ones making you all the money.

Unsafe work conditions and primitive management strategies

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Bessemer City, NC
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Bessemer City, NC

I worked at FMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are lazy and do not want to work, the management group at the Bessemer City site does not have enough sense to fire you.
    Pay and benefits are good, but they have to pay enough to try and keep people from leaving.
    Have a reasonable performance review program.
    There is some effort around training.
    They are generally nice, friendly people but unable to execute

Cons

Maybe it's changed since I left, but here's what I saw:

Mechanical Integrity: piping is severely corroded, tanks develop holes, pumps are operated until the mounting bases rust away, building walls are cracked. In one instance, building steel rusted through and their process building started to fall onto the railroad tracks. Very depressing conditions.

Safety: PHAs are very crude, multiple areas where employees work in contact with noxious and/or reactive chemicals. When there are incidents, they sit for hours issuing corrective actions that are never completed. Constant ongoing corrosion of equipment and infrastructure poses major maintenance challenges.

Turnover: revolving door for engineers. Nobody who wants to improve site conditions sticks around, site leadership is incredibly slow to make decisions and get obvious improvements finished.

Management: they sleep in meetings if they show up at all, are unable to fire poor performers. Do not understand basic principals of chemical manufacturing, do not want suggestions for improvement. There is constant acrimony between site leadership and the division mgt group, the exceptionally poor management principles demonstrated by the offsite division leadership appears to be the root of most of the site's issues.

Operations: management generally stays off the floor, operators are left to fend for themselves with broken equipment and bizarre safety procedures. Operators develop their own methods for running the equipment, sometimes wrong. This plant is stuck in the 1950s.

Advice to Management

Have you no shame?

Poor work place

Current Employee - Teamleader in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Teamleader in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at FMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big company that can have a lot to offer

Cons

Poor management - more intreased in the money less in patient safty

Advice to Management

Hire people that can identify talent.

Changing company with some bad corporate departments to work in.

I have been working at FMC full-time

Pros

The company as a whole has a lot going on. However, a lot of that has turned out to not be good.

Cons

Some departments are great to work in, but not Tax. HR is not on your side, they only support management. Employees get fired for speaking up and out. Multiple former employees have sued for wrongful termination. Work hours have gotten to be insane. Management can be quite rude. There are also several questionable ethical things going on.

Also, leadership has lied multiple times to the company. They also have turned into too corporate and making a quick profit. The selling and splitting off of assets is starting to get concerning

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Follow the ethical standards you promote. Worry about the product and not making a quick profit. Focus on the employees.

No Advancement, lack of pay raises

Current Employee - Supervisor in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Phila, PA

I have been working at FMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

not too many, an ethical company

Cons

pay raises capped at no more than 1 or 2 percent. Experienced employees are taken for granted and have no chance for advancement. Instead the "youngies" get all the advancement since they are cheaper. Benefits are horrible.

Advice to Management

You are going to need a mix of young and old in your organization and you need to value the experienced employees equally with the young upstarts.

7. Profits over People

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green River, WY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green River, WY

I worked at FMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Global company with worldwide opportunities, if you want to live in some of the worst locations.

Cons

Low salaries. Claim to be competitive, but salaries have really slid.
    Poor management, particularly in HR at Green River. A chemical engineer as an HR manager, who has zero people skills, has turned many people, particularly skilled engineers, away. She sides with management, and as a result, has not stood up for strong employees that could make this company great. The turnover has been huge. Her entire department left her, if that gives you any indication of the work environment there.
    Safety record is slipping. Management only cares about the bonuses involved with safety, but they don't put the blame where it belongs, with the workers. Middle managers, who are paid less than union, are the scapegoats.
    If you want to move up, you have to move every 18 months or so, to places you really don't want to live. If you say no, then you are "punished" with lower-level assignments and the silent treatment. You could get put on the night shift for months on end, working overtime without getting overtime pay.

Advice to Management

Make sure you put employee and management advocates in HR and top management positions. Make your salaries more competitive. Instead of letting people walk out the door, figure out what makes them happy and what it takes to keep them happy.

Speaking as a long-tenured employee, I believe FMC's best days are behind it. New management is surely to blame.

I have been working at FMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are the best part on my job; without them, wouldn't be worth staying.

Cons

Poor collaboration between business and IT groups, which results in poor solutions. Too much reliance on consultants, who add limited value. New executive management does not understand FMC's business segments at the level they need to, resulting in poor strategic decisions and planning.

Advice to Management

Stop preaching to rank & file about exhibiting good conduct & ethics, while the executive management team doesn't practice what they preach. Stop dismantling a formerly well-diversified company at such an alarming rate. Quarter after quarter, constant over-promising and under-delivering on earnings results; be realistic!

9. I currently work here

Current Employee - Offshore Tech in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Offshore Tech in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at FMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good if your starting out in oil and gas
    Salary, Day rates
    Training

Cons

Co ordinators that have no experience on offshore jobs
    Attitude towards to people who have an opinion
    Face fits culture
    Too much chiefs and half of them have no experience
    Promoting people with no experience into supervisor roles, overlooking people with experience
    Really bad work/ family life for offshore employees

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees not just the middle managers but the frontline workers
    Stop promoting inexperienced Techs just cause they talk the talk
    Train offshore coordinators so they know what we want offshore and can help us better.
    Promote the experienced workers to supervisor positions instead of inexperienced Techs who have only been in industry less than 2 years

Expanded too fast, no longer a good place to work.

I worked at FMC

Pros

Work/life balance but this depends which department you are in. For some people, it is more "life" than "work".
    Compensation/benefits are ok but can be good depending who your boss is.

Cons

Company has expanded too fast and business do not grow enough to cover the costs.
    No real development plan which cause no employee engagement and motivation. Quite a few are just doing minimum work to get by. You can be doing the same job for over 15 years.
    No bonus for non-management staff.
    Hierarchy culture: just do what your boss tells you to. Do not feedback or question why because they do not respond to that. Or they will just say "Just do it because I told you to".
    Lack of training.

Mediocrity rules

Former Employee - Unable to Share in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Unable to Share in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at FMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility around working hours and locations. Some great people at the middle and lower levels of the corporation, although they usually leave after a few years. I also had one incredible and exceptional boss, who also left of course. I wish I could say more good things - but that was about it in my experience. However, I have heard good things about the company's Agriculture division (where I didn't work).

Cons

Where to start? The division where I worked had no strategy, partly as the result of years of cost cutting and under-investment, partly due to a lack of industry and customer understanding, and partly due to a management culture that emphasizes conformity and analytical skills over creativity and teamwork. By the time I left, trust in divisional and senior management was at very low levels and so many people had left or been fired that it was difficult to see a meaningful future for the business.

I was also concerned that I wasn't going to learn much. With one exception, the business' current leaders (at least in my area) were kind of nice but stunningly mediocre thinkers. They also knew nothing about their customers or their customers' businesses and weren't interested in them. When I offered to lend an important (and short) industry article to Someone, the response was "Nah, that's what I have you for." The contrast between FMC and my current employer in this respect is staggering.

One of the saddest things of all is that I never heard anyone in HR or management use the word 'teamwork' other than superficially. It was all about 'leadership' and the individual. This emphasis led to a lot of very silly meeting behaviors (one-upmanship, talking for the sake of talking, putting down others to enhance one's own standing, etc). Again, where I now work is a huge improvement.

If you like highly political, inward-looking environments that emphasize style and self-promotion over commercial flair, technical skills or ability to drive results, you will love this place.

Advice to Management

Not much point, is there?
    (-;