FMC Reviews

65 reviews filtered by
2.7
FMC Chairman, President, and CEO Pierre Brondeau
Pierre Brondeau

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are good, but they have to pay enough to try and keep people from leaving (in 3 reviews)

• FMC has a fairly stable work force (for those interested in job security) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor management, particularly in HR at Green River (in 3 reviews)

• It being a chemical company the IT department is not given much attention (in 3 reviews)

1. Wonderful opportunity to work with a intelligent colleagues and be challenged

Former Intern - Data Management Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Data Management Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at FMC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, friendly staff, meaningful work assignments, and gained a vast amount of knowledge with this experience at FMC. The people care about your success and you feel like a valued team member.

Cons

There was not a single negative experience with my time at FMC.

Speaking as a long-tenured employee, I believe FMC's best days are behind it. New management is surely to blame.

I have been working at FMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are the best part on my job; without them, wouldn't be worth staying.

Cons

Poor collaboration between business and IT groups, which results in poor solutions. Too much reliance on consultants, who add limited value. New executive management does not understand FMC's business segments at the level they need to, resulting in poor strategic decisions and planning.

Advice to Management

Stop preaching to rank & file about exhibiting good conduct & ethics, while the executive management team doesn't practice what they preach. Stop dismantling a formerly well-diversified company at such an alarming rate. Quarter after quarter, constant over-promising and under-delivering on earnings results; be realistic!

Cowboys

I have been working at FMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits; people in field are good to work with

Cons

Unless you are in the corporate office, your job is not important. Poor management running things, a bunch of cowboys

Advice to Management

Recognize your employees in the field, the ones making you all the money.

5. I currently work here

Current Employee - Offshore Tech in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Offshore Tech in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at FMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good if your starting out in oil and gas
    Salary, Day rates
    Training

Cons

Co ordinators that have no experience on offshore jobs
    Attitude towards to people who have an opinion
    Face fits culture
    Too much chiefs and half of them have no experience
    Promoting people with no experience into supervisor roles, overlooking people with experience
    Really bad work/ family life for offshore employees

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees not just the middle managers but the frontline workers
    Stop promoting inexperienced Techs just cause they talk the talk
    Train offshore coordinators so they know what we want offshore and can help us better.
    Promote the experienced workers to supervisor positions instead of inexperienced Techs who have only been in industry less than 2 years

6. great company

I worked at FMC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do excellent training and staff

Cons

hours long and pay needs to be increased

Advice to Management

increase compensation

Expanded too fast, no longer a good place to work.

I worked at FMC

Pros

Work/life balance but this depends which department you are in. For some people, it is more "life" than "work".
    Compensation/benefits are ok but can be good depending who your boss is.

Cons

Company has expanded too fast and business do not grow enough to cover the costs.
    No real development plan which cause no employee engagement and motivation. Quite a few are just doing minimum work to get by. You can be doing the same job for over 15 years.
    No bonus for non-management staff.
    Hierarchy culture: just do what your boss tells you to. Do not feedback or question why because they do not respond to that. Or they will just say "Just do it because I told you to".
    Lack of training.

8. A good chemical company

I worked at FMC

Pros

Understand outsourcing and global talent

Cons

Still very rigid in its understanding

9. Great colleagues

I worked at FMC

Pros

Great colleagues to work with and good bosses to work for. There are plenty of opportunities to advance and to demonstrate capability. Structured training provided so it is a good ground to learn.

Cons

Main challenge is too many hierarchies leading to paralysis of the organization to achieve anything that is groundbreaking. Decision making is slow and there are too many stakeholders.

Advice to Management

Make a few key people responsible and make them accountable for what they are supposed to do.

10. Okay

Former Employee - Enterprise Systems in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Systems in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at FMC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and a good chemical manufacturing company. Nice people great to work with makes work enjoyable. Flexible work environment.

Cons

No benefits for interns since interns are not on contract. It's an okay place if you are in IT. It being a chemical company the IT department is not given much attention. The company does not have much visibility.

Mediocrity rules

Former Employee - Unable to Share in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Unable to Share in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at FMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility around working hours and locations. Some great people at the middle and lower levels of the corporation, although they usually leave after a few years. I also had one incredible and exceptional boss, who also left of course. I wish I could say more good things - but that was about it in my experience. However, I have heard good things about the company's Agriculture division (where I didn't work).

Cons

Where to start? The division where I worked had no strategy, partly as the result of years of cost cutting and under-investment, partly due to a lack of industry and customer understanding, and partly due to a management culture that emphasizes conformity and analytical skills over creativity and teamwork. By the time I left, trust in divisional and senior management was at very low levels and so many people had left or been fired that it was difficult to see a meaningful future for the business.

I was also concerned that I wasn't going to learn much. With one exception, the business' current leaders (at least in my area) were kind of nice but stunningly mediocre thinkers. They also knew nothing about their customers or their customers' businesses and weren't interested in them. When I offered to lend an important (and short) industry article to Someone, the response was "Nah, that's what I have you for." The contrast between FMC and my current employer in this respect is staggering.

One of the saddest things of all is that I never heard anyone in HR or management use the word 'teamwork' other than superficially. It was all about 'leadership' and the individual. This emphasis led to a lot of very silly meeting behaviors (one-upmanship, talking for the sake of talking, putting down others to enhance one's own standing, etc). Again, where I now work is a huge improvement.

If you like highly political, inward-looking environments that emphasize style and self-promotion over commercial flair, technical skills or ability to drive results, you will love this place.

Advice to Management

Not much point, is there?
    (-;