FMC Technologies

FMC Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

FMC Technologies Chairman and CEO John T. Gremp

John T. Gremp

Pros
  • Relaxed Work; Good Work-life balance; flexibility; great overseas trips(in 12 reviews)

• Great work environment; everyone is willing to provide advice, help, etc(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not much work/life balance for those in or advancing into management(in 4 reviews)

• Upper Management Had Problems Relating to their work force(in 6 reviews)

My experience is really good.

Planner (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIt is one of the most innovative company in the sub sea equipment manufacturing company. They promote innovation and work culture is great.

ConsThis company is really good. They don't have any cons as such. They can be more open towards diversity and adopt multicultural environment.

Great place to work with some great people. But as with any company there were some challenges.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a great place to work with a friendly laid back environment. Co-workers were helpful and genuinely seem to care about each other. Management does have the best intentions. It was a great place to learn new skills with lots of opportunities for training and development. FMC is a global company with lots of career opportunities. Communicate what you want to do and where you want to go and they will help you get there. They really will.

ConsLot's of ongoing internal changes that could cause confusion and added stress. Requirements were not always clear or communicated effectively. Too many priorities with unrealistic deadlines and expectations. Continuing to add more and more hot requests with the expectation everything will be done right now would get a little ridicules at times. Honestly it's not fair to be so inflexible on a deadline. If you are going to continue to add more and more unplanned requests but are not willing to have some flexibility; how can it all be done on time? Honest question there. If you didn't finish on time it goes against your job performance metric and when your review comes up its held against you. Something has to give or you find yourself coming in early, staying late and working on the weekends just to keep up. You shouldn't have to do that. In the end you work hard and do your best but when you fall short it's going to effect your review. And that effects your pay. Those extra hours will go unnoticed. They're going to see that you failed to meet the metric end of story. While I was their, I did see some favoritism. Positions were sometimes filled with a less qualified person. It was who you know, not what you know. This didn't happen all the time but it did happen. With the Cons seeming to out weight the Pros I still feel FMC was a great place to work. I enjoyed my time with them. I had a great opportunity that I couldn't pass up and decided to make a change. There are some things that can be improved but I think you will find that with any company.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove execution and improve your internal processes. Continued improvement is great but at times it felt like we were always re-inventing our processes. With all the priorities it's difficult to execute. Everyone was always so busy trying to get to the next priority that the one they were working on wouldn't get the attention it needed. It would have to be re-done or we would try and create a new process because the out come did not meet expectations. Slow down and fix a process then move on to the next one. Enforce your own policies and procedures. Be fair with the pay structure. There was no way to determine if you were being fairly compensated. Establish a bonus based on individual merit and performance instead of company wide metrics that not all employees could control.

If anything, it's been an education. Having diversified cultures is great; and team building efforts are a plus.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsContinuing Education Opportunities are aplenty; there a course for most anything related to FMC roles, especially safety.

ConsSome managers put their egos ahead of the compan, thus eliminating growth potential for some employees. Engineers are kings here.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the office and into the front lines; learn about the worker's real needs, we already know what the shareholders want.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing Communications Specialist

Marketing Communications Specialist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat company to work for because of the people and corporate culture

ConsA lot of growing pains within the internal organizations

Very sad, huge article in Forbes about lack of hr processes

Marketing (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIt is close to my home

ConsThe company is stuck in the good ole boy world. They are prejudiced, show favoritism, disrespectful, do not empower employees. I wonder how long the company will survive with the amount of lawsuits against them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart with replacing all HR with people that understand what HR should do, create procedures, and replace 90% of your good ole boy management. FMC could be a great company if you had the structure and people. Very sad. Maybe you would also reduce the amount of lawsuits against Fmc from discrimination. The CEO should go on undercover boss and see what his company is really like. See what happens to the every day employees and what they could share with him..,...

Inept HR department and total lack of management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThose not in management or HR get on with doing what they are paid to do, some talented people who are driven to do a good job as part of a team.

ConsManagers lie, HR lie, neither group is willing to be helpful and both appear to back each other up. I have never come across an organization so engaged with treating their employees so badly.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would not know where to begin as the problems are at all levels of management and unless it is their problem... they do not care. Sack those managers and HR staff who create more problems and issues than they resolve. How many people need to quit before you realise you have an issue.

Who are you related to?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood backlog of sales with long lead times keeps FMCTI stable though the ups and downs of the oil & gas world. Solid products that with the noted exception of the BP Thunderhorse manifold work well. From the product side FMC Technologies has a good reputation.

ConsDo you know what FMC stands for? No, not Farm Machinery Corp as they have been out of the Peerless sprayer business for many years. FMC stands for Father Mother Cousin. Everybody there is related to someone else. It isn't about the best and brightest or even the best qualified who gets the job there. The good old boy network is live and well at FMC

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the best qualified not the best connected

I've enjoyed working here.

Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFMC is a great training environment for new engineers to the industry. FMC is the leader in the subsea equipment field, so there is a lot of opportunity to learn and contribute to substantial work. You're given a lot of responsibility right from the beginning. They are flexible with your hours so you can modify your working hours to earlier or later in the day. It's a casual work environment.

ConsPay for the same job is extremely variable. The bonus structure is laughable compared to other companies in the industry since it's based on company wide metrics with impossible requirements. Bonuses aren't based on individual performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward employees financially when they have shown initiative and out perform their peers. Give employees the opportunity to earn merit based bonuses.

Good people, uninteresting technology rooted in '80s.

ProsCo-workers are nearly all good people who mostly all have long term histories with the company.

Usually there is sufficient work to keep me from getting bored.

ConsPeople with long term histories with one company are often reluctant to change the way things are done, even if newer methods are demonstrably better.

Benefits are just so-so for the area and the company must improve these to attract senior employees from the Bay Area or other technology centers.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring benefit packages more into alignment with modern standards, otherwise people may decide to find greener grass. For example, PTO policies are not influenced by one's duties or level of expertise; a newly hired clerk and a newly hired engineer with years of experience receive the same paltry number of days off.

Good experience but the controller was ill-patient and eager to kick me out of the company.

Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosgood future of the company!

Constoo much politics in various departments

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not play with interns!

Worked for FMC Technologies? Contribute to the Community!