FMC Technologies

Updated September 15, 2014
3.1

FMC Technologies Chairman and CEO John T. Gremp
John T. Gremp

Pros
  • Relaxed Work; Good Work-life balance; flexibility; great overseas trips (in 12 reviews)

• Great work environment; everyone is willing to provide advice, help, etc (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management doesn't share its vision with lower level staff or give them any face time (in 6 reviews)

• The bonus structure is terrible (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok. Notice the reviews are getting worse

I have been working at FMC Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Still reasonable work and life balance, reasonable salary range. It has a good name.

Cons

This company is quickly going down hill. I regret slightly for joining this company. It does not have the same benefit as it use to have. Turn-over rate will continue to go up. Depends on the department, you will either be over worked with high stresses or bored out of your mind. Lost days of vacation time, education benefits, and more when I switched over. I am not sure if FMC even try to retain their employees.

Management suppose to take stress away from your employees, NOT adding on to them. The pointing figure game is still going. Ever wonder why your people are leaving?

FMC from an 8yr insider's perspective

I have been working at FMC Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

First Level management and supervision are generally good. Most colleagues are good to work with and the overall environment is good. The rotational engineer program is top notch and it is a good place to get your career started. However, you may find yourself feeling like a change at the 3-5yr mark.

Cons

Mid-level management is out of touch with the engineering grunts getting things done. They do not take enough input from their 1st line management and make too many bad decisions based on metrics alone. These metrics may or may not be accurate at the time important decisions are made. These metrics lack the sophistication needed to accurately reflect the dynamics of change constantly imposed upon the engineering staff and as a result give improper representation of performance. Even worse, these middle level managers don't seem very interested in ensuring the accuracy of these metrics. Nor do they seem interested in getting out and meeting the actual grunts doing the work. Perhaps it is easier on the conscience to manage based on improper metrics if they have no knowledge of whom they are impacting with these poor decisions.

Improve the accuracy of your metrics. Include all the tasks in these metrics. Get out of your office and out from behind your computer and meet the folks making you money. Listen to your first level managers and head their advice. These improvements would make life better for everyone.

My experience is really good.

Current Employee - Planner  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Planner in Houston, TX

I have been working at FMC Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is one of the most innovative company in the sub sea equipment manufacturing company. They promote innovation and work culture is great.

Cons

This company is really good. They don't have any cons as such. They can be more open towards diversity and adopt multicultural environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work with some great people. But as with any company there were some challenges.

I worked at FMC Technologies full-time

Pros

It was a great place to work with a friendly laid back environment. Co-workers were helpful and genuinely seem to care about each other. Management does have the best intentions. It was a great place to learn new skills with lots of opportunities for training and development. FMC is a global company with lots of career opportunities. Communicate what you want to do and where you want to go and they will help you get there. They really will.

Cons

Lot's of ongoing internal changes that could cause confusion and added stress. Requirements were not always clear or communicated effectively. Too many priorities with unrealistic deadlines and expectations. Continuing to add more and more hot requests with the expectation everything will be done right now would get a little ridicules at times. Honestly it's not fair to be so inflexible on a deadline. If you are going to continue to add more and more unplanned requests but are not willing to have some flexibility; how can it all be done on time? Honest question there. If you didn't finish on time it goes against your job performance metric and when your review comes up its held against you. Something has to give or you find yourself coming in early, staying late and working on the weekends just to keep up. You shouldn't have to do that. In the end you work hard and do your best but when you fall short it's going to effect your review. And that effects your pay. Those extra hours will go unnoticed. They're going to see that you failed to meet the metric end of story. While I was their, I did see some favoritism. Positions were sometimes filled with a less qualified person. It was who you know, not what you know. This didn't happen all the time but it did happen. With the Cons seeming to out weight the Pros I still feel FMC was a great place to work. I enjoyed my time with them. I had a great opportunity that I couldn't pass up and decided to make a change. There are some things that can be improved but I think you will find that with any company.

Improve execution and improve your internal processes. Continued improvement is great but at times it felt like we were always re-inventing our processes. With all the priorities it's difficult to execute. Everyone was always so busy trying to get to the next priority that the one they were working on wouldn't get the attention it needed. It would have to be re-done or we would try and create a new process because the out come did not meet expectations. Slow down and fix a process then move on to the next one. Enforce your own policies and procedures. Be fair with the pay structure. There was no way to determine if you were being fairly compensated. Establish a bonus based on individual merit and performance instead of company wide metrics that not all employees could control.

The best place to be!

Current Employee - PPA  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - PPA in Houston, TX

I have been working at FMC Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work environment is very warming. You always feel respected.

Cons

The pay is not so great.

Pay employees what they're worth in the market.

If anything, it's been an education. Having diversified cultures is great; and team building efforts are a plus.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at FMC Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Continuing Education Opportunities are aplenty; there a course for most anything related to FMC roles, especially safety.

Cons

Some managers put their egos ahead of the compan, thus eliminating growth potential for some employees. Engineers are kings here.

Get out of the office and into the front lines; learn about the worker's real needs, we already know what the shareholders want.

Bad Management

Current Employee - .NET/Sharepoint Developer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - .NET/Sharepoint Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at FMC Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits. Truly there is nothing to say good about this company. Everyone I meet or talked to is very upset about their managers. They fired employees without saying why they fired them. We just receive an email saying this employee is no longer with the company.

Cons

Very bad managers across the company. They don't have the experience and the education to manage the team. They only know how to deplete the employees energy to finish the project to get the credit for it. They also are stealing their employees ideas and present them to higher managers as it's their ideas to get the credit for it.

Get the right managers.

Marketing Communications Specialist

Former Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at FMC Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for because of the people and corporate culture

Cons

A lot of growing pains within the internal organizations

Who are you related to?

I worked at FMC Technologies

Pros

Good backlog of sales with long lead times keeps FMCTI stable though the ups and downs of the oil & gas world. Solid products that with the noted exception of the BP Thunderhorse manifold work well. From the product side FMC Technologies has a good reputation.

Cons

Do you know what FMC stands for? No, not Farm Machinery Corp as they have been out of the Peerless sprayer business for many years. FMC stands for Father Mother Cousin. Everybody there is related to someone else. It isn't about the best and brightest or even the best qualified who gets the job there. The good old boy network is live and well at FMC

Hire the best qualified not the best connected

I've enjoyed working here.

I have been working at FMC Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

FMC is a great training environment for new engineers to the industry. FMC is the leader in the subsea equipment field, so there is a lot of opportunity to learn and contribute to substantial work. You're given a lot of responsibility right from the beginning. They are flexible with your hours so you can modify your working hours to earlier or later in the day. It's a casual work environment.

Cons

Pay for the same job is extremely variable. The bonus structure is laughable compared to other companies in the industry since it's based on company wide metrics with impossible requirements. Bonuses aren't based on individual performance.

Reward employees financially when they have shown initiative and out perform their peers. Give employees the opportunity to earn merit based bonuses.

Worked for FMC Technologies? Contribute to the Community!