FMV Opinions

Lance Hall

Great People and Great Place to Learn and Grow

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at FMV Opinions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at FMV for almost 15 years and the people here have always been good solid professionals. We all strive to do our best each day which makes it a great company. The compensation is good (higher than the median) and the bonuses can be great if you meet your goal. You have to be a motivated individual if you want to keep up with FMV's standards. FMV is also a very fun place to work which makes the office environment enjoyable.

Cons

For some positions, there are limited opportunities for growth.

Great Employer, Very Bright Personnel, Excellent Career Path.

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at FMV Opinions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest positive of FMV is that the firm provides its financial staff with exposure to high profile clients, management, and interesting projects. From day one, associates are asked to step up on complex business valuation matters and be a contributing member to the team. Associates quickly gain exposure to a variety of industries and businesses ranging from small caps to large Fortune 100 companies. Associates are typically given a good amount of responsibility, are not micro-managed, and are able to set their own pace.

FMV's senior professionals are among the brightest in the industry. They are recognized thought-leaders in the estate and gift valuation community and great at what they do. FMV's management has a focus on high-quality, unbiased, and supportable valuations and as such you continually feel proud of the work product. This is reaffirmed by client interactions and their recognition of a superior product.

FMV's compensation structure (typically a formula-based payment) offers transparency and motivation to work hard and efficiently. Unlike other firms I have worked at where bonuses have been more of a black box calculation, it is very easy to track annual progress and know where you will come out at the end of the year. The formula structure also makes quick-turns or more challenging projects much more appealing as you know what the implications will be on your compensation.

Cons

To be a top producer, you typically have a put in longer hours. However, the firm does really focus on "face time," so as long as you are getting your work done you are not typically required to be in the office after-hours or on weekends.

Truth about Employment

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at FMV Opinions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

So sad to read the reviews of seemingly one disgruntled employee that keeps posting the same fallacy. I work at FMV now and have for some time. What a bunch of non-sense. I can't speak for everybody else, but I have gotten paid every bonus in exactly the way it was described to me. If you meet your goals (which are clearly defined) you receive a formula driven bonus - and the formula is known to everybody. Dishonest management, awkward work environment, asinine policies, unhappy coworkers...give me a break. The only real mistake this company seems to have made is hired a complete wing nut that obviously can't find another job for obvious reasons. I am a co-worker - and I am very happy. Very honest company, total visibility on all policies, caring and smart management, owners that always put employees first (I have experienced this first hand several times over). What a shame that one employees' sour grapes for not being able to cope in the work force can be expressed in this way.

Cons

None worth mentioning. same problems that just about every other valuation firm struggles with. High turnover because a lot of analysts stay for two years and move into more transaction based work.

Look at your hiring process to keep the rest of the employees save from crazy ex employees that should never have gotten hired.

Absentee Leadership

I worked at FMV Opinions full-time

Pros

Assignments are interesting, clients are generally successful and there is something to be learned for the first year of employment. Upon joining the company, one of Carsten Hoffmans' hire(s) pulled me aside and gave me the sage advise "stay here for a maximum of 1 year and then get a real job". In hindsight, I would have to agree with that advice for any prospective employee, you should be able to learn everything this Company has to offer within a year.

Cons

A company originally founded over 20-years ago on a mix of ambition, ingenuity and creativity has regressed into a culture of petty politics, referral poaching and generic, over-priced expertise. Client's continue to suffer from bloated corporate expense(s) and single-minded incentive structure. FMV Opinions continues to post unsustainable turnover of long-term employees through a mixture of neglect, oversight and general incompetence.

Get a leader or sell the company.

Run Away

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at FMV Opinions full-time

Pros

Located in good markets, so if you actually do make the mistake of taking a job with FMV, you are at least in a great location when you get out and go to a real company.

Cons

If you are reading this and considering FMV you are clearly new to 'Valuation' as nobody with the slightest of experience would consider this backwards failed attempt of a company.

Some famous words include "bonuses achievable based on performance." - yeah... those who perform well aren't with FMV - they have left because of a long standing history of a completely lying about 'bonuses' and 'salary structures' . If you just need a job and are thinking 'Well if I only get that below market base salary I at least can cling to that to get by" just remember that that number will never change, it is below market, and you will still be expected to perform as though you are one of the other tools that works relentlessly in pursuit of the 'discretionary bonus'

Money aside - it is wise to consider all aspects. The cons at this shop makeup an infinite list: dishonest management, awkward work environment, asinine policies, unhappy coworkers, ceaseless turnover, insanely weird and out of touch owners, etc.

You may be in need of a job and that is understandable; maybe checkout additional information and decide for yourself.

My two cents? Whatever you are going through that brings you to consider employment at FMV, just keep going, you'll make it, and you are one hundred times better off taking a pass on this one.

Work on improving the integrity of the company's valuations. The company is widely known for being a 'go-to' for questionable tax loopholes and just going with whatever valuation the client wants.

Great internship experience

Former Employee - Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at FMV Opinions as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As an intern, I had the opportunity to work directly with upper management and get immediate hands-on experience working on projects and reports. The types of projects are varied, so you are always learning something new. Everyone is helpful and willing to take the time to help the interns out and answer questions. The internship was paid, which was an added bonus. Interns are invited to participate in the weekly social hours and company outings. Since I've worked there, some of the interns have been offered positions as Associates. An overall good experience.

Cons

Since FMV is a relatively small company, there's not much room for upward mobility.

Unique and interesting assignments

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at FMV Opinions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to work on all kinds of unique and interesting assignments. You get to meet many knowledgeable and friendly people through lots of exposure to clients. Good experience for sharpening your professional and communication skills. People are very production oriented but are more than willing to communicate and collaborate to get the job done. FMV offers a great opportunity coming right out of school.

Cons

Training seems to be unique to each of the managers. But what you learn here, sticks with you.

Develop a standardized training system.

Fake people, fake bonuses

I worked at FMV Opinions

Pros

The offices have air conditioning at least during working hours 8-5 M-F. Thumbs up, FMV!

New folks - those aren't your only hours - and you might think twice about how eager they are to compensate the extra work required of you.

Cons

I want to confirm a few things here, and that starts with this: they do not follow through on bonuses. When I did not receive the bonus that we agreed to when I started working I was given the run-around, the same as others have heard, "well, it's actually slightly discretionary, if you work here a few more years you might get that bonus". I want to point out that the exact same director that told me that, was the exact same supervisor that watched me month after month give him over time late hours and weekend hours; he motivated me by telling me how large my bonus was getting and that it would all be worth it when that big check comes in on a specified payday. I need not say more about the kind of person with this mentality, prepared to lie to others and himself. We agreed to a formula when I signed my contract. I want to confirm that this is a firm of the utmost dishonesty. Their dishonesty is on display on a daily basis, and I have to confess, like all of my fellow colleagues that also left FMV in droves, once I left I couldn't believe myself looking back on the experience. It really is not in any way a decent place to work.

MARK MY WORDS: Having had experience before working at FMV, this is not a good place to work coming right out of school (much less, ever at all). You do not want any aspect of this company to be your first impression of the working world (or even if its not your first job, still smells of sulfur). Remember that the people and events around you will shape you. Coming out of school and into a real job is one of the biggest and most crucial transitions you will ever have. They attempt to toss some BS glitter about some 'periphery skills you will pick up that will aid you in your career' is just complete nonsense. This is no place to begin the foundation and growth of your career. Do not plant your tree in a sewer.

I also want to confirm this: The company's turnover is simply atrocious and having experience working there, it is something that is awkward and tough to deal with internally. That being said, whoever the latest person they screwed over, lied to, or cheated, is not the only eggshell you will always be worried and careful to avoid.

I have never had any job like I did at FMV. I wouldn't wish that experience upon my worse enemy.

A very obvious issue to address is the complete lack of professionalism and incompetence within HR. It wouldn´t hurt to bring in someone with actual qualifications that isn´t always pretending to know what they are talking about, and may actually be a useful asset to the company.

Analyst

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at FMV Opinions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work and Life Balance is good. At times, there are some decent project sizes.

Cons

Lack of pay and growth for analyst. No promotion for analyst. must leave company for mba school or another company.

Retain top talent

Great people, easy work.

I worked at FMV Opinions as an intern

Pros

FMV offers a very flexible working environment, with numerous projects that keeps an employee from feeling bored. The managers are also very understanding and supportive of decisions made by their subordinates, and most of the people in the office are incredibly kind and engaging.

Cons

Smaller office leads to less exposure from different backgrounds. There are also limited opportunities to move up. Compensation is also relatively low.