FSB Associates

Be The First To
Add Photos

FSB Associates Founder & President Fauzia Burke

Fauzia Burke

Family Atmosphere; Great People.

Publicity Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at FSB Associates part-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmall company with a family atmosphere - I loved the monthly parties and that we celebrated everyone's birthdays
Opportunity to work with the best people in publishing - FSB has a great reputation in the industry and I was proud to say I worked there
Balance of work/life - my boss was always understanding about family obligations
Generosity - While I worked at FSB, I got serval raises and bonuses. If the company was doing well, we were all a part of its success.

ConsDon't work here if you plan to slack off. In a small company it is apparent who is working and producing good results, and who is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was a pleasure to work with all of you.

Great Place to Gain Valuable Online Marketing and Book Publishing Experience

Publicity Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at FSB Associates full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat work/life flexibility
Opportunity to work remotely
Casual work environment
Health benefits, 401k and bonuses
Friendly staff
Ability to work with high-profile authors, web editors and industry professionals

FSB Associates is a great career launching firm located in NJ. There are many benefits to working here for me, including managing my own projects, communicating with A-list authors as well as prominent web editors and bloggers. Balancing work and home life is also very important to me and this company allows for the flexibility to do just that.

On a daily basis, I get to collaborate with the owners, who have experience working in the publishing industry prior to opening this business. They are friendly and receptive to new ideas.

I would recommend this company to anyone with an interest in book publishing and online marketing.

ConsThe company is small so there is limited career and salary advancement
Workload varies season to season so being flexible, adaptive and self-sufficient is a must.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any. The owners have created a successful business that has shown longevity.

Awesome Place to Work to Gain Valuable Experience

Publicity Manager (Current Employee)
Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at FSB Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros- Employees are not micromanaged, so if you like to challenge yourself and use your brain this is a great place to work.
- Degree of freedom given to develop professional skills
- Always interesting clients, books, and authors to work with
- Never boring
- Management is open to new ideas
- Decent starting salary
- Friendly atmosphere
- Great co-workers
- Flexible with time and schedules
- Great experience with using Social Media in a business setting
- Able to build wonderful relationships with media contacts
- Bonuses
- Health Benefits and 401K plan
- I always have something to talk about in my home/social life because I learn so much from clients, authors, and their books.
- Management will often do office lunches which makes you feel like you are a valuable part of the team

Cons- Employees are not micromanaged, so if you need someone to tell you what to do, or if you don't like taking initiative this might not be a great fit.
- Workload varies with slow periods and busy periods
- Since this is a small company, there is little room for substantial growth
- Salary for experience level and responsibilities is under industry standards

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice on how to manage or run a business. The owners have done a great job over the past 16 years.

A Happy Place to Work With Great Team Environment

Senior Publicist (Former Employee)
Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at FSB Associates full-time for more than a year

ProsRelaxed office atmosphere where employes can be themselves
Company embraces casual dress code, wearing jeans to work is OK
Nice desk chairs to sit in
Tech friendly place/ get to work on Mac Computers
Boss is friendly and easy to get along with
Management is flexible with time off
Management is open to new ideas and promotes working as a team
Colleagues are helpful and support one another
EXCEPTIONAL training in online marketing and branding
Company has been around for 16 years and is a leader within the industry
Company has worked with every major publishing company and with New York Times Best Selling authors
Opportunity to work remotely
Make contacts with web editors and influential bloggers
Opportunity to attend BEA and meet everyone in the "Publishing" world
Health Benefits and 401K are good
Bonus are given when they can

One of the major perks in working at FSB is the company has their niche of the publishing industry nailed down. The management team is constantly adapting and leading the change within the online marketing/branding world, and more importantly, within the publishing world. As an employee you get to work with NYT Bestselling Authors and work closely with them. You're abreast to "content" that the general public does not know yet, which is really cool! Management always listened to my new ideas and worked with me. My time at FSB was awesome and I miss it!

ConsCompany is small and room for advancement can take time
Pay could be better (but is on trend with industry standards)
You meet clients face-to-face seldom

Advice to Senior ManagementTheir 16 years of success and list of impressive work/ clients speaks for itself. "Nobody has the range and expertise of FSB Associates."- Larry J. Kirshbaum, Amazon.com

Keep up the good work FSB!

A Good Place to Get Experience

I worked at FSB Associates full-time

ProsCasual, friendly atmosphere
Opportunity to learn Internet marketing and social media
Got to meet many authors, web editors, publishing people
Management is flexible about schedules and time off
No one is expected to work overtime or weekends

I read the two other reviews here with some surprise because it was not my experience at all, so I wanted to add a different perspective. They must be disgruntled employees with an ax to grind, to say the least. It actually sounds like one person probably wrote both since there are so many similarities in the comments.

Paranoia? Picking on and humiliating employees? Using personal information against them? Sorry, but I never saw anything like that. And a "sinking ship"?? They have been around for about 16 years and are pretty highly respected in the industry. Hardly a sinking ship to me.

ConsYes, in a small company where the owners both work there, the opportunity for advancement is not optimal, although there was one person who got a couple of promotions in their fairly short time there. But that is offset by the fact that you get experience in online marketing that you can take elsewhere. Pay is not the best either, but it rarely is in a company with only a handful of employees, in the book business, and not in NYC or another large city. They do give bonuses when there is a good year, so that helps. When I was there, they paid the full amount for heath insurance, which is pretty good for such a small company. They also offered a 401k plan with matching funds, which is very rare for a company that size.

Turnover? Yes, there was turnover, but most of the people left for valid reasons nothing to do with the company - relocation, returning to school, starting their own business, etc. Yeah, maybe some would have stayed if they were earning twice as much, but it's a very small business. Ain't gonna happen. Work at one of the many pharmaceutical companies in the area if you want to earn big bucks.

The work can get a little monotonous over a long time, but that's the nature of online work. At least you get to work on different books regularly, with different authors.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure they need it, certainly not from a 20-something with little business experience. They are a small business that has had 16 years of success, survived the past four years in a horrible economy, and are highly respected in their industry. Hard to argue with that.

A sinking ship with a high turnover rate

I worked at FSB Associates

ProsA great way to gain experience in the field
President of company has celebrations for events which helps bring employees together
Everyone who works there is around the same age
Make great web media contacts you can take with you in the future
Room for Work/Life balance

ConsThe president does not know how to lead a team and motivate employees and I believe this is one of the main factors for the high turn-over rate (1- 2 years). There is absolutely no room for growth in this company (since there are only 6 - 8 employees) and the pay + benefits are not great.

One of the more unsettling aspects of working here is the paranoia displayed by the management. Management has discussed employees personal lives to other employees which is unprofessional and tends to leave an uneasy atmosphere in the office.

Employees have a difficult time bringing new ideas to the table because there is no time to learn more about the industry. Doing the same tasks 8+ hours a day does not leave the employee time to read about current events, new trends in the market, or even new media to pitch.

If the company is hiring , the only reason one should apply is to gain experience in the field, but don't expect to stay too long unless you have a thick skin.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best way to garner TRUE loyalty from employees is to treat them with respect and not play favorites. Spying and speculating stories about employees is not conducive to a professional environment where people feel comfortable. I advice the president and vice president to reflect upon their strategies to motivate their employees and understand that communication is best when discussed in a professional, not dominating/mean-spirited, manner. Humiliating employees via mass emails to the office is not professional or even respectful. I believe everyone who works for FSB Associates has enjoyed their position and saw potential in it, but due to management, the positions went sour rather quickly.

Great business, okay workplace

I worked at FSB Associates

Pros-Staff is nice and fun to work with
-Make contact with big names, opportunities to work on campaigns for popular books and authors
-Clean, comfortable work environment
-Very casual dress code
-Promotions, pay raises and bonuses given
-Bosses are willing to hear new ideas
-Company is very well known, and has a great reputation in the book and publicity world. You will gain some great experience

Cons-The work can be repetitive. Although you get to work on a lot of different books, you're almost always doing the same things over and over
-While no one is expected to put in extra hours, everyone was working late or doing work at home at night or on weekends because the workload frequently required extra time
-Small family-owned company. While you can be promoted, your job doesn't change much
-Benefits are expensive if you don't select the cheapest HMO
-Low starting salary

My experience working here was mostly positive, and I think that's true for most employees. However, some of the bosses' behavior was unnecessary and inappropriate, and is what ruined the job. They are passive aggressive and defensive. They take everything extremely personally and think they are always right. If you find an error on their part, no matter how professionally or politely you let them know, they go above and beyond defending themselves and find a way to say you did something wrong, even if you did not, to take the focus off themselves and to have the last word. They watch and spy on everyone, and gossip and speculate about personal aspects of employees' lives, sometimes in front of others, or in emails. They have a problem with men and have rarely hired any over the years. The company truly has a lot of good qualities, but all the petty annoyances will add up to driving you crazy sooner or later.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company does great work, your reputation and longevity reflect that. But in terms of employee relations, you need to increase the starting salary. Employees are aware that you are spying on them, which creates tension. If their personal life is not affecting their performance, it is not your business to know or discuss it behind their backs. Don't pick on them, it is not constructive. You hire great people, you should trust them more.

Worked for FSB Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FSB Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FSB Associates CEO Fauzia Burke. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by FSB Associates employees.