FTD

FTD Reviews

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014

Mark R. Goldston

Pros
  • Great vacation time offered to full time employees (in 3 reviews)

• None of the employees charged with supporting the seasonal members lost their cool, were impatient or in any treated the (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the tools, particularly for customer service are incredibly outdated (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours during blackout time with Mandatory overtime (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Seasonal position

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at FTD as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- You know your schedule a month ahead of time so you can plan your life accordingly
    - Team leads are knowledgeable about product and are willing to help

Cons

- One week of training does not cover most situations you encounter
    - Hideously old computer equipment crashes twice a day, work force yells at you if you have to call them to reboot
    - You're expected to sell and upsell, but you get no commissions for doing so
    - During season you are expected to show up at 5:00 AM to work

Invest in newer equipment, pay sales commissions to ALL employees

Great group of people and good career growth

I worked at FTD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Generally good management team. Team oriented environment. Great place to learn and grow

Cons

Could use a little more privacy - open really low cube environment

It's the American Sweatshop!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at FTD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

time off in the summer,

Cons

Long hours during blackout time with Mandatory overtime! Unrealistic expectations, pay is poverty level, Seasonal reps make more money then you. They think because you might be able to bonus that should make up for it. If you don't bonus you make less then people you are helping. 1 week of training then hours cut in half and when you come back and are on your own. They just want bodies to fill empty spots.Not allowed to have tissue, hand sanitizer at your desk but managers desks are covered with junk. The worst job for you self esteem, they always tell you what you do wrong and have no problem doing it in front of others.

Managers are one big clique and you can overhear them talking about others. they all take breaks together and leave everyone and you have to wait for them to come back in to get help. Managers dress inappropriately but expect you to follow the rules. They eat at their desk but you can't have anything at your desk. They want you to tell customers whatever they want to hear so they don't submit facebook, twitter or BBB complaints. Really need to clean house of most managers and start
    over. Huge divide between CSRs and managers.

unprofessional employees

I worked at FTD

Pros

some great team leaders and human resources

Cons

very unprofessional staff, unfair to long term employees

Stay away from hiring too many young, unprofessional, uneducated people.

very time and energy learning alot

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Centerbrook, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Centerbrook, CT

I worked at FTD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great products good pay training onsite

Cons

have to travel and early mornings and afternoons

be nice

Great People, Great Headaches

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at FTD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Seriously, most of the varying departments are filled with people who want to run successful programs, but hit much interference from dueling executives with redundant domain over the divisions. Benefits are terrific. Lots of vacations and paid holidays

Cons

The business plan is to run two competing divisions, Consumer and Florist. Florist are supposed to attract new independent retailers to sign up and pay for their network. Consumer runs an online drop ship site that directly competes with those florists for orders. My metaphor for the company is the two headed snake fighting over its own tail. Also Expect to work LONG hours year round, and weekends over Christmas, Valentine's Day and Mother's Day.

Adopt practices that assure higher quality products are delivered. Commit to an offer and stick with it, as it can be confusing when visiting the site and finding the product differently priced each time you visit. Stop spamming your customers, which results in climbing unsubscribe rates.

My experience at FTD was Wonderful experience.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, AR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, AR

I worked at FTD full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work for FTD was having fun, easy job. and the best customers ever.

Cons

The only downside of the company was the the presser of losing your job if your sells were not up.

Keep your employees encouraged and stay with good training.

Implementation Specialist

Former Employee - Implementation and Training Specialist in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Implementation and Training Specialist in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at FTD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, airline miles, corporate cellphone, and hotel points.

Cons

Low wages, executive decision-making, customers are extremely difficult, travel is not counted as part of the work week, not given tools needed to do the job, and disregard for work-life balance.

The current management is new and needs to recognize the employees are what drive the business! Right now, the primary focus is sales and statistics; but, if all the employees leave because of poor management what kind of statistics can be generated?

Customer Service Representatives are not valued if they're hired

I have been working at FTD full-time

Pros

Benefits (although the health insurance isn't that great if you have a major need).

Cons

The holiday season starts ramping up in late October for Thanksgiving and Christmas (3rd biggest holiday), then we start again during January for Valentine's Day (2nd biggest). March is devoted mostly to customer service issues, then we start gearing up in April fir Mother's Day (our biggest holiday). June's mostly customer service issues. So, most of the year, there are ample opportunities for stress.

Pay isn't great and raises are dismal. It can be nearly impossible to meet bonus targets unless you're a born salesperson, a good actor, a good liar, or n have certain other personality traits which I don't possess. There is little autonomy, creativity, or brainpower necessary for this job. It becomes robotic.

There are a few cliques, which I find counterproductive. Fir a time, I worked for a manager with one of the larger groups, and I was not in with the in crowd. There are also employees I'm other departments who take it upon themselves to act like your manage. I can talk with the director when I have sufficient documentation.

Take us seriously - some of us have a lot of experience in the real world and more education than some of the people over on your side. We man the front line and have many suggestions that could help improve the company's bottom line. Consider raising core reps' compensation-if you're paying seasonals $11/hr, should we not be at least $1 more/hr (+theoretical) bonus to you. Consider onshoring more jobs - some of the messes we have to clean up after could be easily avoided, or consider more intensive training, including spelling, English grammar and diction for the offshored. Speaking of seasonals, would it be possible to find people who might be a little more reputable and who actually do the job, rather than people with gang tattoos who expect others to take their calls, or sit on one order in a queue for .5 hour without doing anything? Sorry, but that's a waste of money....

would I do it again... jury is still out, .

Former Employee - Cust, Service Representative in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Cust, Service Representative in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at FTD as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people, good training ( although was trained almost longer than was on the phones), good "help'... nice facility.

Cons

Where do I start.... I knew what I was gettng into in the, what could loosely be described as an interview. The "interview" consisted of a computerized spelling and order entry test. Now I admit my spelling has gone downhill with the advent of spell check. My typing has never been fast due to a physical condition. That being said you could tell they were looking for warm bodies. I was able to take the spelling test 4x's and order entry 2x's. I needed to reach a certain passing # to move on. I am sorry,, but what use is a test if you can take it till you pass?.. Then the second part of the interview... signng papers and doing drug test... They never asked me any questions re my background, past work... All they wanted it permission to do a back ground check and drug test.

Then you were hired. I could have sounded like porky pig... and gotten the job....
    The employment agreement said you would work 40 hours a week, plus have mandatory overtime. This is a bit of a lie. After 40 hrs of "training" (6:30 -3 or 3:30 -midnight) you worked only 20 hours the nxt week. It is called your "nesting" period. The easiest way to describe this is for 40 hours yo are told how to swim never touching the water for practice. Then thrown into the deep area (on the phones) with 3 lifeguards (people walking around to help you) helping 40 people stay afloat. Really? I have a customer on my line.. .I have no Idea how to help them... and I have to wait for 1 of three people to assist?

There are many other quirks about the position... some good some bad. Would I do this again, if asked back... depends.. how badly do I need 11.00 per hour?.....

Do not lie about the hours. Be upfront. You have people hired for a finite time tell them exactly what to expect so they can manage their finances better. Get more hands on training, and more help on the floor.