FTI Consulting

FTI Consulting Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jan 27, 2014

FTI Consulting President & CEO Steven H. Gunby

Steven H. Gunby

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance in the unit I working(in 10 reviews)

• You learn a lot from an incredibly talented group of people (wish they did a better job of making them want to stay)(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Little professional development beyond informal day-to-day management; little work-life balance(in 21 reviews)

• The senior management team does not care about the career deveopement of their staff, nor do they seek to train them(in 10 reviews)

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Great company!company!

Capital Markets Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat Culture, very inclusive of everybody, and they do a great job of taking into account everybody's needs.

ConsWork can be slow and mundane at times;
    Favoritism amongst Senior Directors and Management is common

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a great job!

Not a great culture for non consultants

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat pay, benefits, balance etc

ConsIf you are not a consultant and work in recruiting or another smaller "niche" area, you are not embraced.

Great Place to Be

Director of Business Development (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsForward thinking, recognize employee talents and use them in the most effective way, creative problem solvers, FTI takes care of its clients

ConsNone come to mind for me.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Communication

Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat starting salary and benefits

ConsNo communication from Management
    Culture is entirely different for each office

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs to be better organize and communicate with its staff on current issues

Writing on the Wall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-Competitive Salary
    -Good people
    -Great benefits, health, dental, vision
    -Lot's of PTO, even though it's probably too much to take
    - training opportunities

Cons-Beware of downturns in economy, they can lead to, and have led to massive unilateral layoffs with seemingly no regard to utilization rates.
    -Some groups are very top heavy so can be difficult when you are an entry level to learn. You don't always want to ask an MD simple questions, but you have to.
    -When you think to yourself, "Is my job safe? Because I'm not as busy as I thought I would be"--it's not.
    - Work life balance can be challenging, even if you're not traveling there are times when you're basically "on call" until X:00 at night.
    -Be sure your SMD is a GREAT seller of projects, takes care of his/her people, and is competent in the field (in that order).

Advice to Senior Management-Do not hire during economic downturns just because high quality talent is available. If you won't be able to use this talent it is going to cost you money in the long run.
    -When considering layoffs discuss with people BELOW the SMD level. Some groups can be SEVERELY handicapped by losing 1 or two people.

Consultant

Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat benefits. Very competitive pay. Relaxed office environment with a nice culture. Lax dress code. Bonus capability very high. Hook you up when traveling.

ConsWork life balance sucks, but its like that at a lot of consulting firms. Not easy to get answers to questions from management, even though most are nice people. Also to be expected, but a lot of the work at the consultant level is well paid data entry.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a more open door policy for various questions, from staffed job to current role to career paths. Make work from home more accessible, as a lot of the work is mindless.

FTI continues to be a leading services provider with highly regarded professionals and reputation for quality service.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStrong Leadership team. Strong business.

ConsThe company pursues acquistions aggressively. Things seem very fragmented at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd like to see better assimilation of the various business groups.
    Keep up the good work.

Great compensation if you can work alone.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCan't beat the compensation. Getting to keep the travel benefits is nice too.

ConsAlmost zero feedback from leadership. Sort of "read my mind" leadership. This is a company to work at in order to find your next job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what you gnat FTI to be, then focus on that. Stop the shotgun approach of buying any company on the market which catches your eye.

Worked for FTI Consulting? Contribute to the Community!