FTI Consulting Reviews

241 reviews filtered by
3.3
FTI Consulting President & CEO Steven H. Gunby
Steven H. Gunby

Pros
  • Better pay than the Big 4, good work-life balance, opportunities for career progression (in 14 reviews)

• You learn a lot from an incredibly talented group of people (wish they did a better job of making them want to stay) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Little professional development beyond informal day-to-day management; little work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• long hours and work load distribution among different teams is unacceptable to some (in 12 reviews)

Great company to work for to gain experience

Former Employee - Financial Analyst
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst

I worked at FTI Consulting

Pros

People I worked with were very sharp, and were also great team players.

Cons

You work a lot of hours.

Very Hard Year

Former Employee - Project Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Annapolis, MD

I worked at FTI Consulting

Pros

Mostly good people that want to help.

Cons

No Work-Life Balance
    Upper-management does not listen to those belo them.

Advice to Management

Stop drinking your own kool-aid and refocus on the poeple, not just the bottom dollar.

Not the place for me

I have been working at FTI Consulting

Pros

The company has a good reputation in the industry. New C-Suite also seems to want to create an even more solid company.

Cons

The organization is very flat with little opportunity to grow your career. Advancement is based on how well liked you are liked by your manager versus the how well you do your job.

Advice to Management

Department level management needs basic management and leadership skills.

Contract Attorney - E-Discovery

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at FTI Consulting as a contractor

Pros

Review managers are decent and reasonable people, most attorneys are pleasant and cordial, in comparison to other doc review agencies FTI seems to pick up fairly interesting projects, the office space is clean and well-maintained.

Cons

Before I left, the upper management of the company rolled out a lot of really harebrained work-space policies: no cell phone use at the work-desk, there was some talk of restricting internet use to just a few websites (which really handicaps any attorney's ability to look up a lot technical jargon for particular projects, read about the backgrounds of the cases, etc.).

There's a difference between having an orderly work-space environment and instituting paranoid policies that poison the atmosphere in the entire office -- unfortunately someone at the top seemed to have lost their marbles. I hope that the rest of the good folks that work for FTI don't have pay for a few poor decisions made at the top.

Advice to Management

This goes out to the upper management: don't treat your employees like children by rolling out a row of patronizing office policies and then use some security-related euphemism to justify them. Don't announce your plans to provide commuter benefits to your employees and then never follow up on the promise. Don't restrict the use of the internet at the expense of the work-product your attorneys churn out.

To sum up, no company deserves respect when it allows for a glaring gap between the demands for quality output that the upper management imposes on its employees and the poor treatment of the said employees. FTI seems to have gone that route, which is unfortunate.

I worked in the Chicago office in Human Resources.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great office amenities like free drinks and snacks, smart, hard working employees.

Cons

Management was ok- very focused on face time and their reputation, even if that meant taking credit for their direct reports work. Very cut throat environment. HR very home-office driven, so there wasn't much to do expect 'paper push' in the satellite offices.

Advice to Management

Give credit to their hard-working, intelligent staff; less back stabbing and more direct constructive communication.

+ People, + Benefits, - Projects, - Management. A place that will struggle to retain bright, young talent.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay (took essentially the same pay to leave). Great group at the junior levels. Generous PTO and benefits. Opportunities to advance if you are the right person, in the right place, at the right time.

Cons

Good Ol' Boys Club at the upper management level. Management also battles perception problems ("playing favorites", disingenuous presentations at meetings, etc). Projects are typically interesting at a high level and in general terms, but junior staff is left to do the dirty, tedious elements of execution.

Advice to Management

I could offer some but they seem stuck in their ways.

8. Perform litigation consulting.

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture can be invigorating because the company is full of highly intelligent and create people working together. The culture is open to anyone on a project team to offer ideas and the company moves quickly to incorporate new ideas into a project.

Cons

There is no clear reporting structure which causes confusing and competing requests. The promotion, raises, and bonuses being tied to performance are also kept secretly. At times there is no work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Encourage the employees to use more of their PTO.

Overall a nice place to work

Current Employee - Contract Attorney
    Current Employee - Contract Attorney

I have been working at FTI Consulting

Pros

Nice place to work, flexible and the project managers are great, and make an effort to keep the contract employees engaged continuously on projects

Cons

No benefits and not many paid holidays

Advice to Management

If contract employees are bound by the same rules as full time employees and required to be in the office "core hours" then we should have access to an optional healthcare plan. Also for people who have been there a year or more they shouldn't have to work the day before a holiday to get the holiday pay, and we should have the same paid holidays we had with our staffing agencies (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day). Instead of only 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

10. Great place

Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with amazing people, challenging engagements, make things happen for clients

Cons

Could have more support, compensation plans could be stronger

11. Experience varies by segment, but impressive people all around

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel like my coworkers are sharp and educated. Compensation is pretty good. They have also been mindful of my young kids in determining travel schedules. My particular segment is definitely growing.

Cons

None bad enough to mention.

Advice to Management

Continue efforts at cross-pollination of segments.