FTI Consulting

Updated September 11, 2014
3.2

FTI Consulting President & CEO Steven H. Gunby
Steven H. Gunby

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance in the unit I working (in 10 reviews)

• You learn a lot from an incredibly talented group of people (wish they did a better job of making them want to stay) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Little professional development beyond informal day-to-day management; little work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• The senior management team does not care about the career deveopement of their staff, nor do they seek to train them (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company for work life balance

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

good environment
    small teams
    good technical challenges
    encouraging environment

Cons

not a big name in technology like Microsoft or Amazon
    Not many benefits besides salary

Great Experience

I have been working at FTI Consulting

Pros

Everyone gets things done efficiently and works together in the recruiting department

Cons

many of the team members worked remotely

The definition of "Old Boys Club"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay is decent. The medical and 401k benefits are competitive. Some of the people you work with are really nice people..

Cons

The only way to get any promotion is to go out drinking with your boss. Friends and golf buddies are promoted and rewarded ahead of all others. Raises and compensation are skewed similarly.

As if you'd listen anyway...as long as a profit is being turned, management does not care what happens to the employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience, awesome people, decent work/life balance, average pay

Former Employee - Director  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pros – young, energetic culture, strong senior management, interesting projects, good overall benefits package:

1) Most offices and segments hire directly on campus, which is great in promoting a positive and fun culture and great learning environment
    2) It probably depends on your group, but the senior management in my group was awesome, I felt like they truly looked out for my personal and career growth, as well as work-life balance… open-door policy 24/7
    3) While you may get stuck on a boring project every now and then, most of the engagements are challenging, stimulating, and featured on the front pages of WSJ and CNBC, and you often feel like you’re making an impact doing real work
    4) I felt the overall comp was roughly market average, but they have generous non-pay benefits like PTO, 401K, health, nice company dinners, golf outings, ball games, happy hours, holiday parties, etc.

Cons

Cons – many of the drawbacks of working for a large public company: misaligned corporate policies, poor bonus structure, rigid pay bands and promotion schedules:

1) Strict comp and promotion schedule complaints seems to be a common theme in the con reviews at FTI—the incentives are poorly aligned by corporate. For example, once after a stellar mid-year review I was told I was currently performing better than individuals at the position above me, but that I had to wait 9 months until April 1st when corporate approves all promotions together. Then, once you’re promoted, you have to wait your X number of years until you’re due up again … there’s really not much incentive to work hard in a non-promotion year since you’re not really working for a bonus (see below). Another time, after another year of great reviews, I was told “your market rate is probably $X, but corporate does not allow someone of your title to make that much, so we had to settle for $X - $7,000”… again, what kind of incentive is that to perform well if promotions and compensation are set by corporate in a pre-determined schedule and not completely merit-based?
    2) When you’re part of a corporation appeasing shareholders, there will always be some expense watching and profit sharing. Despite the fact that I was in a strong-performing group (FLC), there were other groups that were shrinking (Corp Fin, Tech), or constantly writing down millions in goodwill (Strat Comm). So when you hear your segment lead cheerleading “record revenue, record EBITDA, record growth!” quarter after quarter, don't expect to see that reflected in a record paycheck.
    3) This is not banking, do not expect much from your bonuses. Part of the bonus structure essentially pays you quarterly overtime based on utilization, but since that is largely out of your control, it rarely ever works out. I can’t tell you how many times I got boned working long hours for 10 straight weeks only to sit on the bench for the last 2 weeks of the quarter because the client was away on summer or Christmas vacation and I wound up with nothing. Also, little petty things, like they refused to pro-rate or pay my bonus when I left to get my MBA because I was not going to be at the firm the day the checks were paid.... even after I earned it working until midnight every night and flew cross-country for a client project for 10 weeks straight. The other portion—annual bonus—is an absolute joke if you’re below management-level… let’s just put it this way: the signing bonus I received as a 21-year college student wound up being the largest bonus of my 5+ year career at FTI.

Overall, I would call the comp structure "reactionary"... your pay would usually lag the market or your value for a little while, and then their would be a correction to bring you back to about average.

I can't really comment on the top-upper management (i.e. C-suite), because they're all brand new in 2014 and I haven't yet had time to observe them, but I would say try to fix some of these archaic corporate policies... other firms seem to adapt to the changing consulting environment so much quicker than us. For the mid-upper management (i.e. segment leaders), keep up the good work.

Great People, however Work/Life Balance Needs Work

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time

Pros

FTI pays quite well, has great benefits, understanding management, and high profile engagements to work on.

Cons

Although management is very understanding and great to work with, the Work/Life Balance is pretty awful (as is with most other firms in the industry).

Management needs to reward their staff in greater amount for loyalty and efficiency. They should also work on developing their consultants / senior consultants by cycling on and off engagements with different scopes of work.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Director of Business Development  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is an excellent company to work for. The tasks are challenging, the people are terrific, and compensation is outstanding. Plus the external perception of FTI is positive.

Cons

Being in Times Square isn't the best.

Keep up the great work!

DISTURBING!

Current Employee - Director of Business Development  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Autonomy was the deciding factor. Super. Day 1, was like being in the military. I suspect things have changed since I left, I don't hear much about them at all.

Cons

If you're not a lawyer, CPA, Banker, Economist, graduated from an Ivy League school or made a lateral move from a competitor, run for your life! Cruel place.

Profitable or not .... be aware of the culture you are at the helm of. I often wonder if CEO's, Investors, Board Members, and/or Executives read these reviews. Because they would benefit the most.

Flexible work schedule, but corporate politics prevail.

I worked at FTI Consulting as a contractor

Pros

Flexible work schedule; salary paid on time
    The employees who worked on other projects were very friendly.

Cons

My supervisor suffered from a Napoleon complex. He praised the subordinates who lacked the qualifications, prior work experience and motivation necessary to perform the job because they did not pose a threat to him, while attacking and degrading the subordinates who excelled and went above and beyond duty to get the job done. He also lacked professional experience in the relevant field and, consequently, was very insecure. However, since he was hired at the onset of the project, he was promoted to a supervisory position.

Recognize the employees who consistently produce high-quality results. Do not promote employees solely on the basis of the number of years they have been working at FTI or their relationship with senior managers. Bottom line: Performance is more important than corporate politics.

Executive Assistant

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary, Culture, Work life balance

Cons

Location, upper management disconnect

Dynamic company.

Former Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of exposure to diverse industries.

Cons

Similar to other consulting firms in which hours could be unpredictable at times.

Nothing - management is doing great.

Worked for FTI Consulting? Contribute to the Community!