FTI Consulting Reviews

Reset
2.0
FTI Consulting President & CEO Steven H. Gunby
Steven H. Gunby

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance in the unit I working (in 14 reviews)

• You learn a lot from an incredibly talented group of people (wish they did a better job of making them want to stay) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There's no work/life balance (I used to work on weekends) (in 25 reviews)

• Long hours prohibit a good work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

1. Huge company; Zero growth opportunities

Current Employee - Consultant in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Miami, FL

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a fast growing company with a lot of work to offer. Very high tech and innovative. Highly qualified professionals and lots of room to move up... If only...

Cons

Management shows great disregard for employee matters, especially having to do with wage increases, and minorities and older workers wanting to "climb the corporate ladder". Since I started working here years ago, the company has yet to give us one single salary increase and they have refused to allow me or others of any minority racial/ethnic group to move up to important management positions. The company has instead hired solely young, inexperienced White people of, Caucasian descent. Lately they have hired a few Blacks in very low level lead positions and that's about it. No matter how many years of experience one brings to the table, and how much they praise one's hard work, top level quality work and, reliability, the Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, Hindi, etc., always get passed over by young, inexperienced, White Caucasian employees for management positions.

Advice to Management

Get trained in diversity, employee relations, cultural sensitivity and minority issues. Employees are the blood that keep the corporate heart going strong. Give us a raise! Diversity brings a healthy divergent culture to the work structure. Constantly ignoring our needs to advance is very demoralizing and destructive. Give minorities the same and equal opportunities you quickly offer our White, Caucasian counterparts and let's be fair. The times of blatant personal bigotry and bias is long gone!

Very Hard Year

Former Employee - Project Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Annapolis, MD

Pros

Mostly good people that want to help.

Cons

No Work-Life Balance Upper-management does not listen to those belo them.

Advice to Management

Stop drinking your own kool-aid and refocus on the poeple, not just the bottom dollar.

Not the place for me

Pros

The company has a good reputation in the industry. New C-Suite also seems to want to create an even more solid company.

Cons

The organization is very flat with little opportunity to grow your career. Advancement is based on how well liked you are liked by your manager versus the how well you do your job.

Advice to Management

Department level management needs basic management and leadership skills.

Shared Services is the Worst

Current Employee - Corporate Accounting in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Corporate Accounting in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours - Good Friends

Cons

No bonus or increase of job duties unless you are part of the "click" Employees receives no recognition. Shared Services questions are pass along to everyone. Never on the same page. All payments are paid late because management does not allow support Managers mostly stand around gossiping about employees

Advice to Management

Become involved with your employees duties. Take classes to be more familiar with your department. Supervisor should fight for higher raises and bonus instead of taking all of it for yourself.

Software Development for Lawyers

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Paid fairly well but it's not a software development organization.

Cons

The corporate culture is legal consultants working on multi million dollar contracts. This means that when something goes wrong there's a "reaching out" to grab whoever can fix it. All well and good until the number of emergencies makes it impossible to do the development that might oh.. prevent the emergency.

Advice to Management

You have expert accountant consultants. Maybe they can set up an internal billing system so that when someone reaches out and grabs developers off their projects, the project they're grabbed for gets billed for the time lost in a way that encourages planning ahead and getting official resources.

Consultant

Current Contractor - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at FTI Consulting as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent rate for the work I do. Long project. Convenient, new offices. Some snacks, tea, coffee and milk provided

Cons

Bosses treat people at different levels differently. The non-stars get bad treatment. You can tell by the treatment what level you are. The direct boss is a passive aggressive snake, capable of any kind of low behavior, would rather complain to higher ups than talk to employees directly, would make you wait for things to get back at you. The snacks were wonderful at the beginning, now the feeling is that the crappiest least popular snacks are being ordered (don't get me wrong I appreciate what they provide, but why go from decent snacks to crap?). I think the popular snacks stopped being ordered because the people quickly emptied the supply, now the snacks remain. If I had another long lasting opportunity with the same pay, I would leave.

Advice to Management

Don't treat people like crap, even the lower level employees need decent treatment. Also, stop with the passive aggressive behavior. Teach direct managers how to manage well.

Investment banking hours, public service pay

Former Employee - Associate/Assistant Vice President Level in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate/Assistant Vice President Level in New York, NY

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the communications group which is very different from the economic consulting group. There are SOME smart people, experience depends on which team you are working for and your respective bosses. You get exposure to different clients and scenarios which is good. It's probably a good place to start off at at the beginning of your career. Do a few years and then move on.

Cons

There is a sense of chaos in the day to day account management. Teams are slow to recognize talent and poorly promote/compensate the brightest and the best. The long hours pulled throughout the year (and I mean long) are quickly forgotten about during the March/April comp season. For this reason there tends to be a high turnover.

Advice to Management

Promote work-life balance.

The definition of "Old Boys Club"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is decent. The medical and 401k benefits are competitive. Some of the people you work with are really nice people..

Cons

The only way to get any promotion is to go out drinking with your boss. Friends and golf buddies are promoted and rewarded ahead of all others. Raises and compensation are skewed similarly.

Advice to Management

As if you'd listen anyway...as long as a profit is being turned, management does not care what happens to the employees.

Flexible work schedule, but corporate politics prevail.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at FTI Consulting as a contractor

Pros

Flexible work schedule; salary paid on time The employees who worked on other projects were very friendly.

Cons

My supervisor suffered from a Napoleon complex. He praised the subordinates who lacked the qualifications, prior work experience and motivation necessary to perform the job because they did not pose a threat to him, while attacking and degrading the subordinates who excelled and went above and beyond duty to get the job done. He also lacked professional experience in the relevant field and, consequently, was very insecure. However, since he was hired at the onset of the project, he was promoted to a supervisory position.

Advice to Management

Recognize the employees who consistently produce high-quality results. Do not promote employees solely on the basis of the number of years they have been working at FTI or their relationship with senior managers. Bottom line: Performance is more important than corporate politics.

Consulting experience

Former Employee - SMD in New York, NY
    Former Employee - SMD in New York, NY

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom, and opportunity to work in different areas

Cons

Practice head very inconsistent. Inconsistent information.

Advice to Management

Reassess performance of group leaders

RSS Feed </> Embed