FTI Consulting Reviews

235 reviews filtered by
3.4
FTI Consulting President & CEO Steven H. Gunby
Steven H. Gunby

Pros
  • Better pay than the Big 4, good work-life balance, opportunities for career progression (in 14 reviews)

• You learn a lot from an incredibly talented group of people (wish they did a better job of making them want to stay) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Little professional development beyond informal day-to-day management; little work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• long hours and work load distribution among different teams is unacceptable to some (in 12 reviews)

1. Overall a nice place to work

Current Employee - Contract Attorney
    Current Employee - Contract Attorney

I have been working at FTI Consulting

Pros

Nice place to work, flexible and the project managers are great, and make an effort to keep the contract employees engaged continuously on projects

Cons

No benefits and not many paid holidays

If contract employees are bound by the same rules as full time employees and required to be in the office "core hours" then we should have access to an optional healthcare plan. Also for people who have been there a year or more they shouldn't have to work the day before a holiday to get the holiday pay, and we should have the same paid holidays we had with our staffing agencies (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day). Instead of only 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

2. Experience varies by segment, but impressive people all around

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I feel like my coworkers are sharp and educated. Compensation is pretty good. They have also been mindful of my young kids in determining travel schedules. My particular segment is definitely growing.

Cons

None bad enough to mention.

Continue efforts at cross-pollination of segments.

3. good experience for an internship and for starting out

I have been working at FTI Consulting

Pros

good leadership although small size, but everyone works together well and the company culture is decent enough compared to other firms i have worked at

Cons

not many cons but perhaps small size? department wise though, so perhaps with expansion plans this can change.

more focus on employee training would be a boon, but generally management is decent

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at FTI Consulting

Pros

The model of the firm is similar to the partner/associate model in a law firm; much of the day to day will depend on your manager. This tends to result in a entrepreneurial atmosphere in the firm, in my experience. So far I've enjoyed my time here.

Cons

Good/bad here. I think it really depends on your personality. If you are someone who needs to plan every single day the same way, this is not the place for you. Every day is different. I enjoy the excitement but sometimes that makes planing my personal life a bit of a challenge.

Keep up the entrepreneurial spirit! The positivity is infectious, in a good way. One minor sidebar: there is an opportunity for efficiency in terms of our portfolio of employee/internal software

6. So Great

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun challenging interesting work environment with great perks travel and coworkers. I really enjoy working here.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. Everything is fantastic. FTI is a challenging and fun environment. I plan to continue working here for a long time.

Keep up the great work.

7. Great experience, good culture, people willing to help you grow and learn

Former Intern - Corporate Finance Intern in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Former Intern - Corporate Finance Intern in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at FTI Consulting as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Great people
    -Good work/life balance
    -Great opportunity to know people in your team

Cons

Not sure since I only stayed for one month but one con would be you only get to know people in your division

8. Friendly culture, interesting projects, good work-life balance.

Former Intern - , Health Solutions in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - , Health Solutions in Washington, DC

I worked at FTI Consulting as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great investment into training interns and new hires, great learning experiences. Great firm culture and atmosphere; everyone is very supportive and friendly.

Cons

At the lower levels, not as much exposure to client-facing work. Sometimes, work can be a little repetitive. Because of the friendly nature of the people, I didn't receive as much constructive criticism as I would have liked to.

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Managing Director
    Current Employee - Managing Director

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting and interesting work, dynamic environment, very intelligent colleagues, I learn something new everyday

Cons

travel, long hours including weekends, and tight deadlines. Internal support structure needs improvement (HR, AP, etc...)

Keep up what you're doing right and look internally to adopt the best practices that are positioned to clients

Great learning experience, awesome people, decent work/life balance, average pay

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros – young, energetic culture, strong senior management, interesting projects, good overall benefits package:

1) Most offices and segments hire directly on campus, which is great in promoting a positive and fun culture and great learning environment
    2) It probably depends on your group, but the senior management in my group was awesome, I felt like they truly looked out for my personal and career growth, as well as work-life balance… open-door policy 24/7
    3) While you may get stuck on a boring project every now and then, most of the engagements are challenging, stimulating, and featured on the front pages of WSJ and CNBC, and you often feel like you’re making an impact doing real work
    4) I felt the overall comp was roughly market average, but they have generous non-pay benefits like PTO, 401K, health, nice company dinners, golf outings, ball games, happy hours, holiday parties, etc.

Cons

Cons – many of the drawbacks of working for a large public company: misaligned corporate policies, poor bonus structure, rigid pay bands and promotion schedules:

1) Strict comp and promotion schedule complaints seems to be a common theme in the con reviews at FTI—the incentives are poorly aligned by corporate. For example, once after a stellar mid-year review I was told I was currently performing better than individuals at the position above me, but that I had to wait 9 months until April 1st when corporate approves all promotions together. Then, once you’re promoted, you have to wait your X number of years until you’re due up again … there’s really not much incentive to work hard in a non-promotion year since you’re not really working for a bonus (see below). Another time, after another year of great reviews, I was told “your market rate is probably $X, but corporate does not allow someone of your title to make that much, so we had to settle for $X - $7,000”… again, what kind of incentive is that to perform well if promotions and compensation are set by corporate in a pre-determined schedule and not completely merit-based?
    2) When you’re part of a corporation appeasing shareholders, there will always be some expense watching and profit sharing. Despite the fact that I was in a strong-performing group (FLC), there were other groups that were shrinking (Corp Fin, Tech), or constantly writing down millions in goodwill (Strat Comm). So when you hear your segment lead cheerleading “record revenue, record EBITDA, record growth!” quarter after quarter, don't expect to see that reflected in a record paycheck.
    3) This is not banking, do not expect much from your bonuses. Part of the bonus structure essentially pays you quarterly overtime based on utilization, but since that is largely out of your control, it rarely ever works out. I can’t tell you how many times I got boned working long hours for 10 straight weeks only to sit on the bench for the last 2 weeks of the quarter because the client was away on summer or Christmas vacation and I wound up with nothing. Also, little petty things, like they refused to pro-rate or pay my bonus when I left to get my MBA because I was not going to be at the firm the day the checks were paid.... even after I earned it working until midnight every night and flew cross-country for a client project for 10 weeks straight. The other portion—annual bonus—is an absolute joke if you’re below management-level… let’s just put it this way: the signing bonus I received as a 21-year college student wound up being the largest bonus of my 5+ year career at FTI.

Overall, I would call the comp structure "reactionary"... your pay would usually lag the market or your value for a little while, and then their would be a correction to bring you back to about average.

I can't really comment on the top-upper management (i.e. C-suite), because they're all brand new in 2014 and I haven't yet had time to observe them, but I would say try to fix some of these archaic corporate policies... other firms seem to adapt to the changing consulting environment so much quicker than us. For the mid-upper management (i.e. segment leaders), keep up the good work.

11. Excellent Company

Current Employee - Director of Business Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is an excellent company to work for. The tasks are challenging, the people are terrific, and compensation is outstanding. Plus the external perception of FTI is positive.

Cons

Being in Times Square isn't the best.

Keep up the great work!