FTI Consulting Reviews

Reset
3.5
FTI Consulting President & CEO Steven H. Gunby
Steven H. Gunby

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance in the unit I working (in 14 reviews)

• You learn a lot from an incredibly talented group of people (wish they did a better job of making them want to stay) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There's no work/life balance (I used to work on weekends) (in 25 reviews)

• Long hours prohibit a good work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Director

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time

Pros

Good culture, fun, strong client base, reputation of the firm, hands-on experience, good level of responsibility given,

Cons

Level of pay is perhaps not always at market rate

consultant

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time

Pros

Friendly environment
    Steep learning curve - VERY STEEP

Cons

No work life balance
    Super long working hours - Over 15 hours during weekdays and Saturday is also a work day
    Inconsiderate manager
    Underemployed
    To conclude it all with two words - No life

Advice to Management

Hire more people

Worst time of my life

Former Employee - Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at FTI Consulting

Pros

Good company. Lots of really smart economists.

Cons

Clt office (healthcare compliance side) is unbelievable.

Advice to Management

the only advice I could give would be to see therapy

Poor mangement, work bottlenecks, bad culture

Former Employee - Vice President ( Senior Economist) in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President ( Senior Economist) in New York, NY

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Company is solvent and can pay the bills.

Cons

Poor mangement, work bottlenecks, bad culture. Sexist. Silo culture - departments do not interact. Work is hoarded by a few who could use smarter input from other departments and within their own department.

Advice to Management

Breakdown silos. Should share work across departments for best involvement by smartest people in the company. Protect workers from sexism and ageism. Old school culture 1950s. Young women (low paid) at the bottom - men rise faster - management seems to be waiting for women to get married and leave at age 35?

DISTURBING!

Current Employee - Director of Business Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Autonomy was the deciding factor. Super. Day 1, was like being in the military. I suspect things have changed since I left, I don't hear much about them at all.

Cons

If you're not a lawyer, CPA, Banker, Economist, graduated from an Ivy League school or made a lateral move from a competitor, run for your life! Cruel place.

Advice to Management

Profitable or not .... be aware of the culture you are at the helm of. I often wonder if CEO's, Investors, Board Members, and/or Executives read these reviews. Because they would benefit the most.

Inefficient, Rampant Favourism, High-School Clique / Jock Mindset, Severely lacking in Management of Operations

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good colleagues across different practices. Opportunity to work with well-known and renowned clients.

Cons

1. Zero work/ life balance with no compensation for time spent afterhours and weekends.
    2. Bonus supposedly "tagged" to performance: It's a load of BS. Pretty much depends on who is your champion and who can pull the strings. Nothing to do with performance whatsoever
    3. Claims to be an "Equal Opportunity Employer": Company is staffed by their own friends and catapulted into higher ranks instead of grooming and training the junior staff.
    4. Work is not evenly divided. The more able and competent you are, the more the work is piled unto you.
    5. Junior level and support staff are usually treated like dirt. When trouble is detected, its the low-rank employees who get blamed for alot of things.
    6. Rampant favourism. If you are someone's favourite / pet, chances of you rising through the rank is very likely.
    7. HR is very disconnected from the ground staff. The way HR deals with the empoyees are unethical. Lack of communication on alot of things. Employees are not notified or informed when action is taken.

Advice to Management

Look beyond US. Elsewhere in other region, the SMDs/ MDs and Head of the office tend to run the office like its their own company. Rules and policies are flouted. Centralising HR is pointless when they are so disconnected from the ground. Networking / cocktails are endlessly hosted with no budget in sight when nothing is invested into staff, and management is reimbursed for lavish expenses in the guise of networking.

Very political organization

I have been working at FTI Consulting

Pros

There is really not much positive as a place to work and establish a long term employment

Cons

There are so many narcist with little to no respect for others. Management is so focused on internal politics rather than getting the work done. Their technology practice wants to make a product and turn the practice into a product company. They will never achieve that with the current leadership with too much lawyer mentality. They only know the legal business and how to charge more hours to the clients.

Advice to Management

Hopeless

Horrible Place To Work - I Did It For The Money

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Only two pros: It's a global company, so you have the opportunity to travel to other offices and they pay a lot. But make sure you get a high salary upon your day of employment because you'll be damned if you get a decent raise afterwards.

Cons

Otherwise, I worked for five years in D.C. and NYC in Strategic Communications and it's a bloodbath.

Nobody helps you -- you better have your own connections to get accounts. You have to eat what you kill and it's all about office politics. You have to align yourself with the right clique or you get destroyed. The right clique will then "feed" you clients here and there to survive until you get sure footing (at least one year).

Most new hires are spit and chewed out after two years, their demise was always imminent. There's so much turnover, it's unbelievable. People live in constant fear of being fired while the upper management spends thousands of dollars on dinners, limos and such for themselves.

There aren't any stock options and the "benefits" are a joke. They're like every other mediocre company.

It's very mercenary. The only way you get any job security is if you land a big account -- like $75-100k/month and praying that one of your managing directors doesn't steal your accounts.

BTW, your managing directors steal your accounts. You work hard to land it -- do all the pitching -- and they "transfer" it to themselves, thereby getting credit for it.

I earned my keep and got the heck out of there as soon as I saw a good opportunity. There's no work/life balance (I used to work on weekends). It's just not worth it.

Also, I saw a colleague of mine get fired even though she had the highest amount of billable hours and always receive positive reviews. Turned out her new boss didn't like her and dropped the guillotine.

It's ruthless and no place to work unless you like a good battle.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't read this, so why bother? They're going to polo and tennis tournaments. Also, I love the fact that FTI had their team clean up Glassdoor with fake reviews, because it was awful.

Unless you're a part of the clique, you're out of luck

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work and good opportunity to work with great clients.

Cons

Since the economy has become so competitive, the culture at the firm has become very cut throat. The question that's asked by everyone, especially the SMDs, is "What have you done for me lately?" Everyone says it's a teamwork oriented environment, but the notion of teaming or sharing is a joke. Folks here protect contacts, protect clients, and don't practice cross sharing or cross selling. Lots of great talent not being nurtured, and incompetent folks getting promoted. Management also lacks the ability to communicate any news effectively.

Advice to Management

Read all the "Con" reviews on Glassdoor carefully. They are definitely sending a consistent message to management: no transparency, incompetent SMDs, short term gains at the expense of long term vision, lip service on teaming, old boys network, poor pay, bad benefits... These are all true.

Out of touch, inefficient, old boys club that rewards ineptitude

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you get promoted up to the SMD level you are very well paid, with little regard for your effort, skills, or value you bring to the organization

Cons

An amazingly inefficient company. There is a lot of expertise there but no one shares ideas or works together (that might reduce billable hours). Lots of inept upper level management who diligently work hard to make others look bad in order to not have their own mistakes noticed

Advice to Management

To the executive level, take a very hard in depth look at the SMD level. There is an amazing amount of dead weigh. Lots of SMDs that provide little to no value. Not to mention many that do a lot of harm by only looking to maximize their own bonus, not the overall good of the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed