FTI Consulting

Updated January 25, 2015
3.3

FTI Consulting President & CEO Steven H. Gunby
Steven H. Gunby

Pros
  • Better pay than the Big 4, good work-life balance, opportunities for career progression (in 14 reviews)

• You learn a lot from an incredibly talented group of people (wish they did a better job of making them want to stay) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Little professional development beyond informal day-to-day management; little work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• long hours and work load distribution among different teams is unacceptable to some (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at FTI Consulting as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Decent rate for the work I do. Long project. Convenient, new offices. Some snacks, tea, coffee and milk provided

Cons

Bosses treat people at different levels differently. The non-stars get bad treatment. You can tell by the treatment what level you are. The direct boss is a passive aggressive snake, capable of any kind of low behavior, would rather complain to higher ups than talk to employees directly, would make you wait for things to get back at you. The snacks were wonderful at the beginning, now the feeling is that the crappiest least popular snacks are being ordered (don't get me wrong I appreciate what they provide, but why go from decent snacks to crap?). I think the popular snacks stopped being ordered because the people quickly emptied the supply, now the snacks remain. If I had another long lasting opportunity with the same pay, I would leave.

Don't treat people like crap, even the lower level employees need decent treatment. Also, stop with the passive aggressive behavior. Teach direct managers how to manage well.

It was a greta experience

I have been working at FTI Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people were great. I really liked the people who worked in my group. They were very helpful and spent time making sure you got adjusted.

Cons

The HR feedback was very slow.

The culture of the company is great.

Investment banking hours, public service pay

Former Employee - Associate/Assistant Vice President Level in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate/Assistant Vice President Level in New York, NY

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the communications group which is very different from the economic consulting group. There are SOME smart people, experience depends on which team you are working for and your respective bosses. You get exposure to different clients and scenarios which is good. It's probably a good place to start off at at the beginning of your career. Do a few years and then move on.

Cons

There is a sense of chaos in the day to day account management. Teams are slow to recognize talent and poorly promote/compensate the brightest and the best. The long hours pulled throughout the year (and I mean long) are quickly forgotten about during the March/April comp season. For this reason there tends to be a high turnover.

Promote work-life balance.

Great experience, good culture, people willing to help you grow and learn

Former Employee - Corporate Finance Intern in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Former Employee - Corporate Finance Intern in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at FTI Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Great people
    -Good work/life balance
    -Great opportunity to know people in your team

Cons

Not sure since I only stayed for one month but one con would be you only get to know people in your division

Great people, interesting work, pay was average

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with. People were friendly and smart. The work was interesting for the most part, and office was a nice place to work

Cons

Compensation was just average compared to the value you provide. The hours were kinda long as well.

Reward high performers better to retain better talent. Also, listen to your employees. If you have employees who want to travel, staff those people on the travel engagements vs people who are sick of it.

Friendly culture, interesting projects, good work-life balance.

Former Employee - , Health Solutions in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - , Health Solutions in Washington, DC

I worked at FTI Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great investment into training interns and new hires, great learning experiences. Great firm culture and atmosphere; everyone is very supportive and friendly.

Cons

At the lower levels, not as much exposure to client-facing work. Sometimes, work can be a little repetitive. Because of the friendly nature of the people, I didn't receive as much constructive criticism as I would have liked to.

Senior Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst

I have been working at FTI Consulting (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits but not fair. New employees get 4 weeks of PTO, 5 weeks after two years.

Cons

Small corporate department, openings are rare and new opportunities tend to be filled from outside.

Need to promote and retain talent more.

Poor mangement, work bottlenecks, bad culture

Former Employee - Vice President ( Senior Economist) in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President ( Senior Economist) in New York, NY

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Company is solvent and can pay the bills.

Cons

Poor mangement, work bottlenecks, bad culture. Sexist. Silo culture - departments do not interact. Work is hoarded by a few who could use smarter input from other departments and within their own department.

Breakdown silos. Should share work across departments for best involvement by smartest people in the company. Protect workers from sexism and ageism. Old school culture 1950s. Young women (low paid) at the bottom - men rise faster - management seems to be waiting for women to get married and leave at age 35?

Good stepping stone for a next job

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great diversity of work, lot of responsibility early in career

Cons

Very little to no coaching, personal development, training

Not bad, but not great

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time

Pros

Respected in the industry, good benefits, work along side very smart colleagues, cordial office environment, opportunity to advance if that is what you are seeking.

Cons

Low compensation compared to similar firms, corporate culture is not clear, not much communication from management, bad work life balance