FTI Consulting

Updated November 12, 2014
3.3

FTI Consulting President & CEO Steven H. Gunby
Steven H. Gunby

Pros
  • Better pay than the Big 4, good work-life balance, opportunities for career progression (in 14 reviews)

• You learn a lot from an incredibly talented group of people (wish they did a better job of making them want to stay) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Little professional development beyond informal day-to-day management; little work-life balance (in 24 reviews)

• long hours and work load distribution among different teams is unacceptable to some (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting work, but low pay and low ceiling

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People and work projects were at times interesting

Cons

Pay, guidance, upper management, incest type culture

Non-accounting Accountants

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work flow is steady - there are plenty of restructurings and bankruptcy proceedings going on. You can work steadily away and have a secure, comfortable, albeit not ultimately lucrative or sexy career.

Cons

This is an accounting culture through and through. There's a lot of hierarchy and work processes that don't make sense, but exist just because that's the way it's always been done. You are working alongside a lot of lawyers and other bill-by-the-hour-types, so the incentive is generally to bill a lot of hours.

The infrastructure here absolutely sucks - we did our own hourly billing review every month in excel. Pretty pathetic there wasn't centralized software. Conflict checks for cases are an absolute nightmare.

A lot of the senior people harbor insecurity issues - they fancy themselves and bankers, but they're not really financing anything, they're just keeping tabs on other people's money. The senior people try to come up with novel analyses or ways of thinking about things, but it's all just BS - the work is boring and straightforward and non-scalable (ie - it's still hourly billing). You exit ops will be nil - this is not a gateway to other jobs in finance the way a job at a real bank or fund manager is.

Just accept that you're a glorified accounting firm and stop thinking you're bankers just because you're involved in high profile restructurings.

Horrible Place To Work - I Did It For The Money

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Only two pros: It's a global company, so you have the opportunity to travel to other offices and they pay a lot. But make sure you get a high salary upon your day of employment because you'll be damned if you get a decent raise afterwards.

Cons

Otherwise, I worked for five years in D.C. and NYC in Strategic Communications and it's a bloodbath.

Nobody helps you -- you better have your own connections to get accounts. You have to eat what you kill and it's all about office politics. You have to align yourself with the right clique or you get destroyed. The right clique will then "feed" you clients here and there to survive until you get sure footing (at least one year).

Most new hires are spit and chewed out after two years, their demise was always imminent. There's so much turnover, it's unbelievable. People live in constant fear of being fired while the upper management spends thousands of dollars on dinners, limos and such for themselves.

There aren't any stock options and the "benefits" are a joke. They're like every other mediocre company.

It's very mercenary. The only way you get any job security is if you land a big account -- like $75-100k/month and praying that one of your managing directors doesn't steal your accounts.

BTW, your managing directors steal your accounts. You work hard to land it -- do all the pitching -- and they "transfer" it to themselves, thereby getting credit for it.

I earned my keep and got the heck out of there as soon as I saw a good opportunity. There's no work/life balance (I used to work on weekends). It's just not worth it.

Also, I saw a colleague of mine get fired even though she had the highest amount of billable hours and always receive positive reviews. Turned out her new boss didn't like her and dropped the guillotine.

It's ruthless and no place to work unless you like a good battle.

Management doesn't read this, so why bother? They're going to polo and tennis tournaments. Also, I love the fact that FTI had their team clean up Glassdoor with fake reviews, because it was awful.

Disappointing Experience

Former Employee - Support Functions in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Support Functions in London, England (UK)

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with really bright people who want to do well for their clients. Individual teams work well together. Nice office, well located with good extras- stocked kitchen, help yourself drinks etc.

Cons

Highly silo'd mentality; individual business units so hard to understand where the company is going. Doesn't feel like the European business is going anywhere. Poor quality senior management; individually they are bright and inspiring experts in what they do but actual leadership is really poor.
    A lot of demotivated people in the heart of the business that can mean the mood can be flat.

Join up the company. Open up your senior leadership 'club'.
    Treat people in the heart of the business better; more recognition and involvement.

Good challenges, excellent work environment, but needs to keep focus on what needs to be done

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance in the unit I working. Work truly based on delivery and not simply showing up at the office (from what I heard, though this was not true of all offices). Good compensation, and very reasonable benefits. Worked with a really skilled and fun group of people.

Cons

Trying to find a way to grow within the company was becoming an issue. The cross office politics can become annoying at times and affect moral and productivity.

Stay true to the mission and vision of the company, don't waste precious time and energy bickering or sticking to some arbitrary rules just for the sake of sticking to the rule even when it does not make a whole lot of sense.

Unless you're a part of the clique, you're out of luck

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work and good opportunity to work with great clients.

Cons

Since the economy has become so competitive, the culture at the firm has become very cut throat. The question that's asked by everyone, especially the SMDs, is "What have you done for me lately?" Everyone says it's a teamwork oriented environment, but the notion of teaming or sharing is a joke. Folks here protect contacts, protect clients, and don't practice cross sharing or cross selling. Lots of great talent not being nurtured, and incompetent folks getting promoted. Management also lacks the ability to communicate any news effectively.

Read all the "Con" reviews on Glassdoor carefully. They are definitely sending a consistent message to management: no transparency, incompetent SMDs, short term gains at the expense of long term vision, lip service on teaming, old boys network, poor pay, bad benefits... These are all true.

Depends on what you are looking for...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well; good benefits; longevity of position if you work hard, are dedicated and committed; promotes within; there are some good people who work for the company, for the most part.

Cons

Rigid corporate environment; "old boys club" mentality; work/life balance practices need improvement; office politics make the environment toxic.

Improve and "freshen up" the culture to make working at FTI a more pleasant and appealing experience for its employees.

Entrepreneurial environment and very interesting work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative and dynamic, good benefits

Cons

office culture needs warming up and team oriented

Leadership should communicate more with employees

Great clients, poor management

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

FTI pays well (base + bonus) and its offices are generally very nice - although very different from location to location. Great assignments / client opportunities. Matrix organization based on practice and industry provides good opportunities for intra-company networking.

Cons

Poor relocation assistance. Inconsistent recruitment and promotion across geographies. Little professional development beyond informal day-to-day management; little work-life balance.

It was great. I learned alot.

Former Employee - SQL Data Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - SQL Data Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at FTI Consulting as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Team Members were supportive. I got chance to learn new skills and implement my knowledge.

Cons

I didn't find any cons.