FTI Consulting

Updated October 11, 2014
3.3

FTI Consulting President & CEO Steven H. Gunby
Steven H. Gunby

Pros
  • Better pay than the Big 4, good work-life balance, opportunities for career progression (in 14 reviews)

• You learn a lot from an incredibly talented group of people (wish they did a better job of making them want to stay) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Little professional development beyond informal day-to-day management; little work-life balance (in 24 reviews)

• long hours and work load distribution among different teams is unacceptable to some (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Friendly culture, interesting projects, good work-life balance.

Former Employee - , Health Solutions in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - , Health Solutions in Washington, DC

I worked at FTI Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great investment into training interns and new hires, great learning experiences. Great firm culture and atmosphere; everyone is very supportive and friendly.

Cons

At the lower levels, not as much exposure to client-facing work. Sometimes, work can be a little repetitive. Because of the friendly nature of the people, I didn't receive as much constructive criticism as I would have liked to.

Great learning experience, awesome people, decent work/life balance, average pay

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros – young, energetic culture, strong senior management, interesting projects, good overall benefits package:

1) Most offices and segments hire directly on campus, which is great in promoting a positive and fun culture and great learning environment
    2) It probably depends on your group, but the senior management in my group was awesome, I felt like they truly looked out for my personal and career growth, as well as work-life balance… open-door policy 24/7
    3) While you may get stuck on a boring project every now and then, most of the engagements are challenging, stimulating, and featured on the front pages of WSJ and CNBC, and you often feel like you’re making an impact doing real work
    4) I felt the overall comp was roughly market average, but they have generous non-pay benefits like PTO, 401K, health, nice company dinners, golf outings, ball games, happy hours, holiday parties, etc.

Cons

Cons – many of the drawbacks of working for a large public company: misaligned corporate policies, poor bonus structure, rigid pay bands and promotion schedules:

1) Strict comp and promotion schedule complaints seems to be a common theme in the con reviews at FTI—the incentives are poorly aligned by corporate. For example, once after a stellar mid-year review I was told I was currently performing better than individuals at the position above me, but that I had to wait 9 months until April 1st when corporate approves all promotions together. Then, once you’re promoted, you have to wait your X number of years until you’re due up again … there’s really not much incentive to work hard in a non-promotion year since you’re not really working for a bonus (see below). Another time, after another year of great reviews, I was told “your market rate is probably $X, but corporate does not allow someone of your title to make that much, so we had to settle for $X - $7,000”… again, what kind of incentive is that to perform well if promotions and compensation are set by corporate in a pre-determined schedule and not completely merit-based?
    2) When you’re part of a corporation appeasing shareholders, there will always be some expense watching and profit sharing. Despite the fact that I was in a strong-performing group (FLC), there were other groups that were shrinking (Corp Fin, Tech), or constantly writing down millions in goodwill (Strat Comm). So when you hear your segment lead cheerleading “record revenue, record EBITDA, record growth!” quarter after quarter, don't expect to see that reflected in a record paycheck.
    3) This is not banking, do not expect much from your bonuses. Part of the bonus structure essentially pays you quarterly overtime based on utilization, but since that is largely out of your control, it rarely ever works out. I can’t tell you how many times I got boned working long hours for 10 straight weeks only to sit on the bench for the last 2 weeks of the quarter because the client was away on summer or Christmas vacation and I wound up with nothing. Also, little petty things, like they refused to pro-rate or pay my bonus when I left to get my MBA because I was not going to be at the firm the day the checks were paid.... even after I earned it working until midnight every night and flew cross-country for a client project for 10 weeks straight. The other portion—annual bonus—is an absolute joke if you’re below management-level… let’s just put it this way: the signing bonus I received as a 21-year college student wound up being the largest bonus of my 5+ year career at FTI.

Overall, I would call the comp structure "reactionary"... your pay would usually lag the market or your value for a little while, and then their would be a correction to bring you back to about average.

I can't really comment on the top-upper management (i.e. C-suite), because they're all brand new in 2014 and I haven't yet had time to observe them, but I would say try to fix some of these archaic corporate policies... other firms seem to adapt to the changing consulting environment so much quicker than us. For the mid-upper management (i.e. segment leaders), keep up the good work.

Great place to grow, if you find yourself in the right office...

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will be working with knowledgeable, senior professionals. Some are eager to develop their peers, others not so much. The offices are all reasonably stocked with supplies and snacks to keep you going. At least in my experience, my senior management was eager to throw me in the deep end and see what happens. I loved the challenge.

Cons

It's consulting, you have to be flexible. Some weeks you may only work 40 hours, others much more. If you don't like traveling, it likely isn't for you. There isn't much of a guide to climbing the ladder, and the policies between offices are not consistent. It's a publicly traded company, so they can be stingy on bonus' and salary adjustments. I've never had to barter so much in my career.

Keep wasting money on sport sponsorships; don't invest any of it back into your personnel!

Great people, mundane work

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at FTI Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome people at the DC office - very nice and social coworkers
    Solid and relatively consistent pipeline for projects
    Reasonable work-life balance
    Competitive pay

Cons

Poor training
    Work can be boring and very repetitive
    Relatively conservative workplace environment
    Not much merit based project allocation

Focuses on revenue, not on operations management

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation is competitive
    Perceived corporate reputation has value
    Great lessons on what not to do

Cons

Employees are generally dissatisfied with executives living in the bubble
    Perceived corporate reputation is only 40% accurate
    Too many leaders have been with the company under loose practices for too long believing that this is the way things should be managed - out of touch with the state of best practices
    Too many cowboys, leading to redundancy, and risky management practices

Sell the business to new owners who know how to manage a global company, and who will implement better management practices
    Pass the torch

Employer of Choice

Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, challenging and creative work, opportunity to grow career

Cons

Nothing to add at this time

Nothing to add at this time

Great Place

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are wonderful to work with

Cons

DC can get hot in the summers!

Good on the surface with bad undercurrents.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A good place to learn some new skills. Able to work independently. Some performance managers are really great, however their enthusiasm gets hampered by the leadership. Co-workers are pleasant to work with. Social outings are nice.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be poor for staff in consulting roles.

Lack of real advancement...just because you went from consultant to sr. consultant, to manager really doesn't mean anything.

A lack of a unified vision between teams and departments really keeps the practices and products from improving.

If you're hired, once the "honeymoon phase" is over, unless you've made it into one of the cliques, you're pretty much parked.

Take a good look at the middle management layers...the managing directors and senior managing directors. Those people are there to line their pockets and they may not really be concerned with the long term growth of the business. Look at the history of the stock price as an example, it's half the value it was in 2008.

Great place to learn a variety of technical and consulting skills in a diverse environment.

I have been working at FTI Consulting

Pros

Good compensation.
    Treats their employees well.
    Challenging work.

Cons

Hours are unpredictable.
    Work/life balance for employees needs improvement.

It would be great if FTI encouraged and partially or fully compensated for advanced degrees or certifications.

Great opportunity for those who fight for it.

I have been working at FTI Consulting

Pros

- Diversity of matters and client requests means creative and truly interesting work
    - Generous PTO offerings and competitive benefits
    - Management and consultants are good people, generally very pleasant to work alongside
    - Opportunities to branch out and learn the processes of other practice sub-groups to help develop a 'big picture' understanding of E-Discovery
    - Promotions, raises, and bonuses are all attainable - but they must be earned twice over to ensure their delivery.

Cons

- While there are few obstacles to learning new processes and tools, there are few established roads, and even fewer as practice groups become more rigidly defined and separated over time. If you want to learn more, you have to be very motivated
    - At times work loads can be extremely high and work/life balance suffers, and while PTO can be quickly accrued, there are occasionally times it is simply not possible to use it
    - Communication and interaction between working groups is being promoted less over time - making it difficult for newer hires to learn where certain areas of expertise is concentrated or how to gain it themselves.

- Offer more long-term development advice/options to new hires - increase knowledge exchange sessions, encourage performance managers to take a more active role in their subordinate's development. Reward performance managers and individuals who take the time to truly mentor and assist in the growth of their subordinates and peers.

- Provide more opportunities for networking at the Director and Senior Consultant level - there is great technical and client-facing development done at the lower levels, but in getting our people involved in outside symposiums and trade shows will enhance our brand visibility, increase our network of contacts for new potential engagements, and train our fledgling leaders to better grow into experienced rainmakers and managers.