FTI Consulting

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, mundane work

Intern (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsAwesome people at the DC office - very nice and social coworkers
    Solid and relatively consistent pipeline for projects
    Reasonable work-life balance
    Competitive pay

ConsPoor training
    Work can be boring and very repetitive
    Relatively conservative workplace environment
    Not much merit based project allocation

Great place to grow, if you find yourself in the right office...

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsYou will be working with knowledgeable, senior professionals. Some are eager to develop their peers, others not so much. The offices are all reasonably stocked with supplies and snacks to keep you going. At least in my experience, my senior management was eager to throw me in the deep end and see what happens. I loved the challenge.

ConsIt's consulting, you have to be flexible. Some weeks you may only work 40 hours, others much more. If you don't like traveling, it likely isn't for you. There isn't much of a guide to climbing the ladder, and the policies between offices are not consistent. It's a publicly traded company, so they can be stingy on bonus' and salary adjustments. I've never had to barter so much in my career.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep wasting money on sport sponsorships; don't invest any of it back into your personnel!

Focuses on revenue, not on operations management

Director (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation is competitive
    Perceived corporate reputation has value
    Great lessons on what not to do

ConsEmployees are generally dissatisfied with executives living in the bubble
    Perceived corporate reputation is only 40% accurate
    Too many leaders have been with the company under loose practices for too long believing that this is the way things should be managed - out of touch with the state of best practices
    Too many cowboys, leading to redundancy, and risky management practices

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the business to new owners who know how to manage a global company, and who will implement better management practices
    Pass the torch

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employer of Choice

Human Resources Director (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat people, challenging and creative work, opportunity to grow career

ConsNothing to add at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to add at this time

Great Place

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsPeople are wonderful to work with

ConsDC can get hot in the summers!

Good on the surface with bad undercurrents.

Washington, DC

ProsA good place to learn some new skills. Able to work independently. Some performance managers are really great, however their enthusiasm gets hampered by the leadership. Co-workers are pleasant to work with. Social outings are nice.

ConsWork/Life balance can be poor for staff in consulting roles.

Lack of real advancement...just because you went from consultant to sr. consultant, to manager really doesn't mean anything.

A lack of a unified vision between teams and departments really keeps the practices and products from improving.

If you're hired, once the "honeymoon phase" is over, unless you've made it into one of the cliques, you're pretty much parked.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at the middle management layers...the managing directors and senior managing directors. Those people are there to line their pockets and they may not really be concerned with the long term growth of the business. Look at the history of the stock price as an example, it's half the value it was in 2008.

Great place to learn a variety of technical and consulting skills in a diverse environment.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGood compensation.
    Treats their employees well.
    Challenging work.

ConsHours are unpredictable.
    Work/life balance for employees needs improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great if FTI encouraged and partially or fully compensated for advanced degrees or certifications.

Great opportunity for those who fight for it.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

Pros- Diversity of matters and client requests means creative and truly interesting work
    - Generous PTO offerings and competitive benefits
    - Management and consultants are good people, generally very pleasant to work alongside
    - Opportunities to branch out and learn the processes of other practice sub-groups to help develop a 'big picture' understanding of E-Discovery
    - Promotions, raises, and bonuses are all attainable - but they must be earned twice over to ensure their delivery.

Cons- While there are few obstacles to learning new processes and tools, there are few established roads, and even fewer as practice groups become more rigidly defined and separated over time. If you want to learn more, you have to be very motivated
    - At times work loads can be extremely high and work/life balance suffers, and while PTO can be quickly accrued, there are occasionally times it is simply not possible to use it
    - Communication and interaction between working groups is being promoted less over time - making it difficult for newer hires to learn where certain areas of expertise is concentrated or how to gain it themselves.

Advice to Senior Management- Offer more long-term development advice/options to new hires - increase knowledge exchange sessions, encourage performance managers to take a more active role in their subordinate's development. Reward performance managers and individuals who take the time to truly mentor and assist in the growth of their subordinates and peers.

- Provide more opportunities for networking at the Director and Senior Consultant level - there is great technical and client-facing development done at the lower levels, but in getting our people involved in outside symposiums and trade shows will enhance our brand visibility, increase our network of contacts for new potential engagements, and train our fledgling leaders to better grow into experienced rainmakers and managers.

Thoroughly disappointing - watch out if you don't fit into their narrow culture

Washington, DC

ProsThere are alot of events to try and get everyone to socialize - kickball, paintball, segway tour, museum visits, etc. Unfortunately these aren't really that "fun" because if your behavior deviates in the slightest from what the professional expectation is, you are judged and ostracized, akin to a elitist fraternity. Some of the work can be interesting if you enjoy programming with SQL.

ConsThere is absolutely no appreciation for people or ideas that don't fit their "vanilla" (literally and figuratively) culture. If you value individuality and creative thought, this is not the place for you. At the DC office, people force a happy face and put on a facade of over-joyousness. Most people are not down-to-earth and genuine in the slightest.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfortunately, FTI's business model is endemic to most of corporate America. It'll probably work on a superficial level - the types that don't fit in usually aren't very vocal in their discontent and the ones who do are quite aggressive in their promotion of the firm. Don't expect a diverse set of backgrounds or ideas going forward though.

Decent place to start work, not a great deal of upward mobility though.

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsPeers are smart, management is fair, gain a good deal of responsibility right away, good amount of social activities planned each month

Consslow promotion track, average pay with regards to peer firms, long hours, lack of control over which projects one can work on

Advice to Senior Managementdo not promote people simply based on the number of years they have worked there. make the requirements for promotion more clear.

Worked for FTI Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FTI Consulting reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FTI Consulting CEO Steven H. Gunby. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by FTI Consulting employees.