FU Associates

FU Associates Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward Y Fu

High performing in a family friendly environment

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThe first thing you should know about Fu Associates is that it is filled with great people. Everyone is very kind and friendly. Many friends are made at Fu and many weddings happen at Fu too!!

Fu is also a very family friendly work environment and offers flexible scheduling. Working at home regularly is also an option if you stay with the company for awhile. I work at home once a week, sometimes more and sometimes less.

An important thing to understand about Fu is it's a "no non-sense", results-oriented environment. That's one reason dress is casual. Who cares how you look if you do great work? Someone else complained about the cheap furniture. Having nice furniture has no bearing on producing good results so who needs it? The money to buy nice furniture has to come from somewhere. Ever wonder why many companies don't offer great benefits? It's probably because the money is being spent on frivolous overhead like nice furniture!!

Speaking of results, Fu has an excellent reputation for producing high quality work with very fast turnarounds. This is achieved firstly by having great people and secondly by having a very lean and flat corporate structure. If you want to talk to the president, there he is! No need to make any appointments or anything. I suppose the downside to this is that upper management (which is really just two people) knows everything about everyone. If you want to come to the office and hide and do nothing, this is not the place for you.

Fu has amazing benefits. Whenever our friends hear about our benefits, they're floored. Given a choice between great benefits and great furniture, I'll pick great benefits every time. Employees are treated very generously. Unlike what other reviewers have said, I would say the pay is very competitive. No, it's not the highest in the industry but you have to consider the full complete package.

When you do consider the complete package, it's no wonder people stay here for many years. Many of the employees have stayed for over 20 years. I don't know what the IT industry average is but many people I know change jobs every few years. You know it must be a great place if people stay on for more than 20 years. The proof is in the pudding, right?

ConsIt's a small company so if you aspire to be upper management or vice president of something, that won't happen here.

Not a company that you should give any consideration towards.

Software Developer (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsFamily friendly, kids are welcome in the office. Casual environment. Some employees are able to work from home, although its never made clear when this becomes an option.

ConsCompensation is well below average. Old, cheap equipment and furniture. Their development tools and methods are well out of date and they aren't interested in improving. The systems they build are a maintenance nightmare for developers.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfortunately I don't believe that the management is interested in advice.

FU Associates, the company behind the scenes.

Developer (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsFU Associates is a very relaxed environment. The dress code is extremely casual and they tend to hire anyone who wants to work. They are willing to train. The benefits are good and cover more than most companies would. The health benefits are the most impressive this about the company. Next is their 401k match plan. They don't match, but they contribute 10% of your salaries regardless of whether you contribute to your own account. Oh, and there's free beer everyday, which can or can not be a good thing. Management engages in a lot of drinking, which may be the reason for the relaxed working environment.

ConsOh my, there's so may, it's hard to start. Executive level management is outdated and completely incompetent. There's a lot of yelling and abuse by management, who generally treat employees like they are indebted to the company. There's a lot of verbal abuse and almost on a daily basis. There is an expectation for employees to dedicate their lives to invest in the company. There's also no sense of evaluation and more so things are based on favoritism. But, I'd say the biggest and most obvious downside is the salary you receive. It's about half of what the average salary should be for your position. Advancement is nearly impossible, there's no new knowledge and no room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say any senior manager from a halfway respectable corporate company should run screaming.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Joke

Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsNo dress code. Flexible hours.

ConsPay is terrible, at most being half of average for the DC area. No possibilities for promotion as senior positions are filled by nepotism hires. Management is indeed as abusive as the other reviews say, fostering a hostile and paranoid work environment. Company recieves its entire revenue from a single contract and its performance is embarassingly bad. Future success is doubtful. Office is filthy and mold is visible on the walls.

unprofessional environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual dress code keeps down dry cleaning bills!

ConsFavoritism and childish behavior (from the "favorites" and management) are tolerated. Company talks much about loyalty but it is one sided.

No respect or great communication skills shown

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual attire, meals provided daily( though it may not be anything you like but it's there)
    Kids can come with their parents to the office(in the northern va area great help with childcare expenses)
    You can work at home

ConsManagement does show favoritism amongst the staff especially to some of the ones who have been with the company for 20 years plus.
    There is alot of verbal abuse shown to the employees and even in front of other employees.
    The office equipment is very outdated and the office itself not very clean. There is always a period of time when gnats seem to infest the office because of food being left out overnight etc.
    It does seem as if the company thinks it's employees are indebted to the company and tries to insist to help them to make them feel obligated to stay with the company.
    No room for growth , the employees seem to stay stagnant in the same positions so they just leave when they have had enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementLuring employees into the company with the thought of not having to dress up and choosing a schedule to work does not make up for the verbal abuse that they will receive.. respect and communication is key and that is definitely missing at this company.

Worked for FU Associates? Contribute to the Community!