FUJIFILM SonoSite

Updated July 8, 2014
2.5

FUJIFILM SonoSite CEO, President Naohiro Fujitani
Naohiro Fujitani

I had a wonderful experience with Fujifilm Sonosite. Treated employees very well.

Former Employee - Customer Support in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Bothell, WA

I worked at FUJIFILM SonoSite full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always happy to help employees with different hours (because of family), if you worked hard promotions were available.

Cons

I learned to multitask with ease. Answering all inbound calls while working with purchase orders, complaints, lost shipments. I was the only person in my dept for the last 1 1/2 I was there, with a back up if needed. I handled the dept myself with ease.

My manager was always there for you if you needed help and it seemed to be the way all managers were.

Chaotic, Lacks Focused Direction from Leadership

I have been working at FUJIFILM SonoSite full-time

Pros

The products are what is keeping the company still afloat. They make quality products with very high standards, likely the best in the industry. The warranty and education is top-notch, and likely why clients keep coming back.

Cons

There is no culture. People come to work, put in their time and leave. There are not company functions that bring people together, not even for holidays or special occasions. People are doing their jobs, not working in a career, and because of that it creates a tense and melancholy atmosphere. We are way understaffed, and asked to work harder, but what they don't understand is there is a difference between a 'lean' company that manages money and time smartly, and a company that has too much turn over and asks current employees to pick up the slack. And I use the term 'asks' lightly, it is more like a demand where people are not given a choice. The company is so tight on budget that the bathroom toilet paper and sanitary napkins are not restocked on a regular basis. This is a basic hygienic need and for restrooms to only get cleaned on a bi weekly basis is unacceptable and disgusting. Same thing goes for the trash cans that are under each of our desks. The worst thing about the company is there is no room to grow. Employees say they would rather stay under the radar than try to get promoted as that would put them on the chopping block. Even then, I have not really seen much if any promotions in the time I have been employed. There is no real investment made into the current employees who are there. I have truly never seen so much turn over in employees and managers in all of my career. With no defined career path, it makes it difficult to truly invest my time and heart into a company that does not show me, nor my peers that they truly want to invest in us. With the new CEO coming on board, I think this will be a really great opportunity for him to step in and evaluate his leaders,and dig deep. My advice is to have employees survey their managers, then take proactive action on how things can be improved in order to gain more trust from employees of their managers.

-Culture should be developed through leadership. Morale is low, and this is an opportunity to reinvent the company and make people really want to work here and be part of something special.
    -Develop your employees, give incentives and annual bonuses to encourage them to work harder and want to invest more time into the organization.
    -Pick a strategy and stick with it. You guys try too many things, get half way done or 75% done then you cut off projects. I have never seen so many unfinished projects from teams in my life and it is because management tells everyone this is very important get this done now, then later down the road when it is nearly finished something supposedly more important comes up and the other project gets pushed out and eventually forgotten. It's ok to redefine strategies but when you have too many of them it becomes chaotic. There is not real solid direction here, and it really frustrates people.
    -Management does a very bad job at developing people. They mirco manage, ask for weekly updates and lists that describe in full detail what all their employees are working on each day, and this not only wastes our time, but it also brings down morale because we feel that you dont trust us to get our job done the right way. There is no room from growth when management stifles the opportunity to run with new ideas, projects, etc.

Lost and stolen vision, traded for a bigger bonus and poor quality

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I worked at FUJIFILM SonoSite full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Entering point into the medical device industry.

Cons

Since Sonosite was bought out the company has become unrecognizable, they have sold off / lost / outsourced most of their talent team of professionals here in the United States. The Facilities have been downgraded as well as the product quality itself. The mentality of a wonderful startup focusing on High end innovative technology has been sold, keep moving.

The passion and vision this company once had is missing, this company needs to remember the quality of it's products matters just as much as the price tag.

Challenging and innovative Engineering and Design on a medical product that makes a difference.

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Bothell, WA

I have been working at FUJIFILM SonoSite full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging technology, good relationships between employees, direct sense of contribution to exciting products. Has a very bright future with exciting innovations about to be turned into products. Great sense of purpose is derived from our customers and their success with past products for improved medical care.

Cons

With the Fuji acquisition and the recent change in executive management, the culture is about to change in uncertain ways. Hopefully in a manner that leverages the talents and intelligence of the organization. Staffing is lean and flat addressing many simultaneous product innovations.

Invest in leaner processes for a more transparent work place. Migrate away from top-down driven decisions to leverage the experiences of the very creative workforce.

Challenging...in a GOOD way!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I have been working at FUJIFILM SonoSite full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This Company has a congregation of extraordinary people working toward a common goal - to create the BEST UL products the market has ever seen. Why? Because we believe that what we do makes a difference - a difference in the people we make the products for and the people who benefit from them.

Cons

The Company has experienced an acquisition and all the changes that come with that and it's for the better. We are looking forward, not backward, we are embracing the challenges that lie ahead in an unprecedented healthcare climate and we are developing new products that address the needs of the market.

Continue to listen, support and embrace the changes, work through differences together, always keeping the common goal in mind - the CUSTOMER.

technical suport

Former Employee - Technical Support in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Bothell, WA

I worked at FUJIFILM SonoSite full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay but raises are out of the question.

Cons

Poor Management with huge expections.

An Innovative and Collaborative Team Positioned to Turn-around a High Potential Business

Current Employee - Engineering in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Bothell, WA

I have been working at FUJIFILM SonoSite full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team is talented, motivated, and works in a collaborative way. It is rewarding to see your work used to improve the healthcare. You are likely to see it used on yourself or your family. They have innovative products and a strong reputation. The past CEO (heavily criticized in previous posts) is now gone, and a new CEO and management want to change the culture, not top-down, but with teamwork and openness, with a high priority on people.

Cons

The compensation is a bit below local competition, with past inconsistent increases. Benefits are generally competitive except for the anemic 401K matching. I am optimistic that the new FujiFilm management will address this based on what I have heard about their other businesses.

Improve the 401K matching, and engage the employees in the transformation of the culture, and vision for the business. Focus out further than 1 year for strategy.

Worked with a great team for 6 years

Former Employee - Director in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Bothell, WA

I worked at FUJIFILM SonoSite full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great product
    Great people at the working level
    Good benefits
    Innovative teams of creative, hard working people - though all gone now.
    Fun to go to work.

Cons

Management
    Lack of direction from management
    Directors, VPs and C-Level execs that just followed direction and didn't want to rock the boat, even though the boat really needed to be rocked. If you rocked the boat you got fired.

Change the management style, culture and expectations.
    Hire back some of the original managers and directors. These people did a great job of bringing creative and innovative products to market. They had the highest customer satisfaction ratings of most medical device companies.

I've worked at SonoSite for 2 years

Current Employee - Design Team in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Design Team in Bothell, WA

I have been working at FUJIFILM SonoSite full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are talented and focused on making a difference. There is a lot of collaboration. SonoSite is in a big change mode - moving from being technology driven to more design driven. Perhaps this has caused some of these bad reviews because sometimes people don't like to change. However, I think SonoSite has a bright future and I think it is moving in the right direction.

Cons

Sometimes the vision of the CEO is not communicated as effectively as it should be and this leads to some misinterpretation and lack of understanding about the direction of the company.

Providing an amazing brand new work environment, great benefits is a wonderful start. It would be nice to have a few more people to share in the work load. We are trying to do amazing things but need more resources.

Great Company Terrible CEO

Former Employee - Senior Management in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Bothell, WA

I worked at FUJIFILM SonoSite full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People and products are great. There are so many good people have passed through this company e.g. 16 heads of marketing in 15 years.

Cons

The CEO. The CEO works part time and has no idea how to run a company of this size. He changes managers constantly based on who he likes at present. Executive leadership changes on an annual basis.

Fuji needs to wake up and realize why the company they paid too much for is not producing growth. Fji should ask themselves what happened to the management team that built this company and why are none of those people still here?