FUNimation

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Gen Fukunaga

A FUN place to work.

Voice Talent (Former Employee)
Flower Mound, TX

I worked at FUNimation as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood people all around. Doing voiceovers everyone was very nice (directors and other voice talent) and made you feel comfortable. The work itself was a lot of fun (but short lived) with good pay.

ConsFeedback needed. There was no real feedback after the project so I am not sure if the lack of work is due to poor performance or business being slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome form of feedback would be appreciated pertaining to performance.

Work with cool people for lousy pay.

I have been working at FUNimation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are a lot of talented, creative people working here. I've seen firsthand how much work goes into the final product. Employees have the freedom to move between departments when a position opens up. It's a fun atmosphere to work in, usually.

ConsThe pay starts off low and tends to stay there. The talented, creative people are not necessarily rewarded. There is no sense that as an employee you will share in the company's successes, but there's a constant fear that you could wind up paying for its failures.

There seems to be a lack of communication from the top. The company leadership doesn't really seem to understand the product or the consumer. Sudden personnel changes often catch employees off guard and disrupt the flow of their work. Employees just have to deal with the fallout of whatever baffling decisions come out of upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees feel undervalued. Funi is a fun place to work for a while, but the poor compensation and the sense of stagnation will leave people cold eventually.

The FUN is a lie

I have been working at FUNimation full-time for more than a year

ProsEasy work, some great team members. Good work/life balance. Good place to start your career and learn. If you sleep with your boss you can get ahead. No one really has to work too hard, just enough to not get noticed.

ConsLots of corporate backstabbing. The company also hides the fact that it is also EchoLight studios; bait and switch hiring method. Very cliquey. Hate groups such as Focus on the Family and Rick Santorum are often in the office. (Rick Santorum is a CEO) HR gossips about employees with other employees. No real corporate culture other than fear and belittling of employees. Dismal pay. More important to "cover your rear" with documentation that actually working out conflicts. Sketchy financial and accounting practices, borders on illegal.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR should be an unbiased position, not someone who protects their friends and spouse. CEO needs to grow with the times and understand contemporary business practices, stop being insane.

Dream job turned into a nightmare

I worked at FUNimation

ProsFun and relaxed environment. Get free anime swag. Get to meet a lot of voice actors from the shows.

ConsHorrible HR and management. Sexist jokes, favoritism and cliques made it seem more like going to high school instead of going to work. If you were one of the "in crowd", you'll go far. If you're not, no matter how hard you work, you'll always get the crap jobs and have your ideas stolen from you.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR is supposed to be there for everyone, not just the people that you are friends/in a relationship with.

Good place if you are just starting your career but there is not room for growth in certain departments. Almost everybod

I have been working at FUNimation full-time

Proslaid back environment, nice coworkers

Conslow wages, no room for growth in some department,

Fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at FUNimation full-time for less than a year

ProsAnime, fun people, great atmosphere

ConsAt the time that Navarre was the parent company, IT was extremely limited on what we could do, so we couldn't completely resolve what was needed for our company.

What they don't know could fill a warehouse

I have been working at FUNimation full-time

ProsWrite what you want, they have no idea this site exists.

ConsYeaaahh, that would be that they have no idea this site exists. And if they did, wouldn't care.

JUST SAY NO.....

Flower Mound, TX

I worked at FUNimation full-time for more than a year

ProsFUNimation has a great culture and some really great people

Cons> The CEO is in over his head.
> They sell Japanese video of 14 year old girls with bouncy boobs yet are trying to get into the "faith" market with EchoLight Studios.
> The EchoLight Studios heads are pious heretics
> They are hiding EchoLight from Anime fans & the board
> They fire good people - especially if the CEO deems you are making too much money (tenure)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the CEO out and clean out the old guard

On the cutting edge... with no budget and a maniac CEO

I worked at FUNimation full-time

ProsSmall company/family environment with a lot of professional and personal growth opportunities.
Great, exciting product sold through national partners
Pushing technology, sales and marketing trends in a surprisingly small company

ConsDeclining home video market
Company bends to CEO's whims
Politics - especially old guard
They don't pay national average for positions

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch for politics and who has what resources

Amateurs.

Dallas, TX

I worked at FUNimation full-time

ProsIt's fun and even without experience, you do get to take on work you wouldn't normally get to do. You meet a lot of different types of people.

ConsThere's a lot of work and it only increases, yet there is no increase in staff to tackle it or individual incentives to encourage an employee and though there's lip service to "well, we know you've got a lot on your plate", still, if you don't get it ALL done you are considered to be underperforming. It becomes a stressful, vicious circle. As for overall leadership, goals and priorities change hourly and some employees are promoted into senior positions they have no knowledge or experience in and quite frankly, shouldn't be in at all. Add to the lack of focus (everything is important) and management that is inexperienced, confused or easily threatened (many have never worked anywhere else), much work takes many times more than it needs to because of the lack of an organized internal infrastructure and that you cannot use outside services or tools to help you do the job or provide you with the data you need because -gasp- that would cost money. I did my career a great disservice by accepting the job and then staying as long as I did.

Worked for FUNimation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FUNimation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FUNimation CEO Gen Fukunaga. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by FUNimation employees.