FXCM Reviews

1. Good working environment, excellent office and view

Current Employee - Public Relations Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Public Relations Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at FXCM

Pros

Flexibility, trust, smart colleagues, sport activities after work

Cons

Low Salaries, slow mobility to advance to higher positions

Advice to Management

More professional development and better salaries based on people's experience and education

2. Great Company To Start At

I have been working at FXCM

Pros

Exposed to various facets of the business if showing a true interest. A great starting point to learn about the FX trading world if no previous experience.

Cons

Overnight hours are (were) mandatory for sales reps depending upon location

N/A

I have been working at FXCM

Pros

There is room for growth

Cons

the pay is non nego

Advice to Management

Be yourself and be efficient

There are a lot of people jumping ship....I wonder why?

I worked at FXCM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bolstered my ability in sales. Lower level management is very hands-on with their employees and knowledgeable about the FX market. They will work closely with you to develop your weaknesses and turn them into strengths.

Overall, I think everyone here truly believes in this company and its ability to grow and outperform its competitors.

Cons

Increasing workload, while significantly decreasing employee compensation is not a recipe for success. It became very clear during my time with the company that the CEO's primary concern is the majority shareholders' stock price increasing, and has absolutely no regard for the bottom line employees not already vested in the company.

While there were some highly talented and very committed employees in this company when I first started, they, as well as I, have all now left due to the above mentioned reason. This is quite disconcerting.

Low growth opportunity due to an over saturated upper management team is not very motivating.

Lastly, the company's culture needs a defibrillator, it has flat lined.

Advice to Management

Remember where you started in the company.

Promising me a paycheck tomorrow doesn't help my paycheck today.

If you ever read this feedback, please make some changes.

Former Intern - Retail Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Retail Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at FXCM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a professional environment to work in. If you love dealing with currency markets and market research in general, it is a great place to learn and pick up new things about the market. Learning about the currency markets here also helped me understand the technicals behind the securities, commodities, and other such markets.

Cons

Low salary, very competitive environment, and political.

7. good place to work

I worked at FXCM

Pros

nice people to work with

Cons

uncertain, not stable working

8. Great learning opportunity, lacking in compensation

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Plano, TX

I have been working at FXCM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great management (very knowledgable)
    -Co. is top of industry
    -flat org
    -strong strategic planning
    -great learning opportunity for industry (FX) and specific business field (ops, sales, marketing, compliance, etc)
    -productive workforce
    -diverse workforce
    -international for a relatively small company

Cons

-lack of leadership (managers are great at managing but have limited leadership skills)
    -lack of company culture (work environment is like the stereotypical office)
    -lacking in compensation: relatively low pay and ok benefits

Advice to Management

develop a company culture and invest in your employees (develop internally). Strategically in an external sense, FXCM has done so great.

9. Solid place for young professional

Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at FXCM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Bright office, good place to start. 8 hour work days, the office hours are based off of trading hours with 8 hour rotations since the FX market is 24 hours a day. The only shift that is awkward would be the London trading hours which is basically when everyone else in NY sleeps. Most people work typical hours though.

Cons

Some of the responsibilities aren't highly transferable. It's a nice place to get work experience but you the currency trading is a niche in the greater scheme of things

10. Great Company

I have been working at FXCM full-time

Pros

The company is a Market leader in it's industry. There is lots of room for learning and growth within the company. Management is very approachable and cares about their employees.

Cons

Salaries are fair, not tops around. But for most the other benefits and good salary, outweigh any financial gains available elsewhere.

Great Experience, Terrible Middle Management

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at FXCM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Great exposure to the forex industry.
    + Looks positive on your resume, can leverage experience
    + Small company, so you get personal face time with senior management and the executive team right away
    + Your peers are very friendly and do their best to make it a great place to work
    + Senior Management has put the company in a good position to succeed going forward. Every interaction I had with the executive team was positive. It's too bad that can't seem to filter down to the lower levels.

Cons

+ Pay is well below industry average, especially after they eliminated the generous bonus structure. The Sales side of things seemed to be more on par with the industry average.
    + Middle management is awful, with no leadership in place. No feel for their employees and fail to get buy in.
    + Micromanagement - down to the number of bathroom breaks you take. This will come up in your quarterly evaluation.
    + Little to no real advancement opportunities within the United States, despite what they advertise to new employees. I hope you enjoy Bulgaria. Pretty much told to do your job and go home, no development.
    + Nepotism is rampant when promotions and bonuses become available. You are allowed to have an opinion... as long as it agrees with theirs. Don't speak out in opposition of something if you want to keep your promotion opportunities alive.
    + High employee turnover - indicative of the terrible management that occurs at the lowest levels.

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots and take care of your employees. If you want to have productive employees, then treat them like human beings. You are still a small company and should be able to have a great corporate culture, but you have managed to have all the cons of being a public company (red tape, nepotism, unhappy employees) without any of the public company benefits (higher compensation, etc.)

You have lost a significant number of talented employees over the past two years. Each one of them that I have talked to since they left is much happier at their new company. I have never been around a group of lower-level employees that is more miserable than during my time at FXCM.