FXCM Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
138 reviews filtered by

It is very easy to get in to the company. The bar is not very high. Which is reflected in pay.

Current Employee - Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at FXCM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Easy environment.
    - Not much of a rush to get anything done.
    - The experience you have will really depends on the manager you get. Some are decent, others are not.

Cons

- If you're ambitious, this is a wrong place to be or it should be a stop along the way - very brief stop.
    - Management has been in place forever. These few people who joined the company a while back have held the spot and control the information going to upper management to keep it that way.
    - Along the same chain of thought - politics is fostered in the company from the highest level. Managers fighting among each other about what they control and how they control it even if it is detrimental to the business or general operations. Example of this is: If something goes wrong, rather than fixing it, every email is dissected to find out who to blame among the many departments working on the project.
    - A lot of employees have recently described the company as a sinking ship. Bonuses are cut, no raises are given. Most of the fault for that goes to the partners who have not diversified the business. They keep thinking of acquiring other FX firms rather than branch in to other markets. This is what it seems to me as an employee of many years. I'm not privy to their future plans.
    - Quality of people is not high. No go-getters... people just going with the flow to earn a living. I'm among them.

- Top management should start firing or laying off managers when politics is being used within the company. Although there will be a vacuum as to who fills those spots. No real leaders all around.
    - Keep an open mind and listen to bottom level employees. Don't just listen to managers you've appointed while back.
    - How is seniority a qualification or requirement for promotion? Wake up.

FXCM isn't a perfect company, it's tough, you'll grow a lot and its a great place to start

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at FXCM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

**Great coworkers - its the best part of the job. If you're in FSR, you'll be apart of a great team that works well together
    **Welcoming HR team - Asha in Dallas makes the the company look really good to potential candidates
    **Pay is actually pretty good relative to other FSR entry level jobs. However you earn every penny of it for how stressful it can be. Despite the the "cons" listed in some of the other reviews regarding pay - this company pays you in experience where it may not in salary.
    **Great mentors - my boss (mid level manager) was great to work with and definitely helped make me a better professional. I can't say that about my other bosses that I've had in the past - nor can I comment on other departments in this company.

Cons

**Insanely tough metrics especially with the current market conditions and low volatility
    **High burnout rate - its stressful, its fast paced, and you will deal with some very difficult clients
    **The coffee in the break room is God awful, nearly tortuous. Bring your own coffee.
    **Computers belong in a museum, your iphone is faster than these things.

Upper level management - Interact with your employees more, be friendly, pretend like you're glad we're busting our butts for you - Don't forget how stressful the job can be.

Mid level - you guys do a good job, just keep in mind you're the bridge between the lower guys to the upper lever of management. Be able to occasionally vouch for the guys lower than you because they'll definitely be there to make you look good when it counts.

DailyFX Intern

Former Intern - DailyFX Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - DailyFX Intern in New York, NY

I worked at FXCM as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

You'll learn a lot and the opportunity for exposure and hands on experience exceeds those top positions at big banks. You'll work with excellent analysts/strategists and learn all the while. The position is what you make out of it and if you love markets and are willing to learn, this is for you.

Cons

Poor management, vision, direction, execution. Not only limited to DailyFX, but also other departments. Seems CEO only want to be surrounded by yes men, but this comes at the cost of (1) progress (2) team moral and (3) turnover rates. CEO should hire good leaders instead who actually have a vision and will lead a team rather than be micromanaged.

Financial Operations Associate

I have been working at FXCM full-time

Pros

Good experience, very diverse and global company.

Cons

Limited growth and promotion opportunity.

Great education, limited growth opportunities. Learn the business and leave in 2 years or less.

I worked at FXCM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best places to learn the foreign exchange market.

Cons

Terrible compensation unless you can leverage past experience to drive revenue in a short period of time.

Great first time experience. Learned a lot about forex.

Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at FXCM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great hands on work experience. So great people on the entry level who will work with you and support you.

Cons

Internal promotion of management leads to a cycle of nepotism and lack of quality management. Lack of possible growth in movement upward.

Questionable Practices

Former Employee - Tech Support in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tech Support in New York, NY

I worked at FXCM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Having worked in the IT department i can say that the technology is impressive. The salary is fair but the health benefits are quite good and the employee contribution is very reasonable.

Cons

Having come from Fortune 500 companies i was quite unaccustomed to the rampant nepotism. There are so many people in positions that they are clearly not qualified for. One, however, must keep in mind that although it is a publicly traded company, almost all of the stock is owned by the founder and his family members so you essentailly have a pulicly traded family owned business.

If anything, make any effort to promote people who work hard and demonstrate inititiative as opposed to the obligatory handing out of plums to the well connected.
    Stop advertising bonuses you have no intention of paying out.

Good entry level role

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Service Representative

I worked at FXCM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of professional training, managers give guidance and quasar reviews, friendly people, team atmosphere.

Cons

Company does not appreciate its human capital, lack of growth opportunities outside management, compartmentalized departments.

Figure out how to identify and appreciate your best employees and reward them financially.

Great

I worked at FXCM

Pros

People are amazing. this is a great place to work. I had so much fun. It was just awesome. I got to work on some great analytics projects that turned out to be very helpful

Cons

Environment, alot of people yelling, because it is forex i cannot believe how loud it was. People were in early because of time differences.

Good Internship Experience

Former Intern - Programming Services Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Programming Services Intern in New York, NY

I worked at FXCM as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Given substantial responsibility and learned a lot using the various platforms.

Cons

Compensation is a bit low.