Fab.com

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jason Goldberg

One hell of a ride.

ProsLearned a great deal about startups and retail. Had many opportunities for growth and was able to voice my opinion to upper management. Free lunch, amazing benefits and colleagues. Made many lifetime friends.

ConsConstant short deadlines and extreme changes in direction. Went through multiple rounds of layoffs. CEO is a micro-manager, lacks vision, and empathy. New initiatives were never given a chance to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the CEO was out I think Fab would have a chance. He suffocates the environment and has no retail experience. Since the departure of our PR director, he has been going off on Twitter and blog post rants. He is extremely brash and both embarrassing/threatening to the employees.

Everyone thinks they are your boss.

Maintenance/Custodial (Former Employee)
    Keasbey, NJ

ProsFree lunch, if you get to the lunch area early. cheap vending machines.

ConsNice place to work, if you only speak Spanish. I didn't receive the after 3 month benefits like I was told would happen. There's no limit of your job description, they expect you to do everything and anything. For pocket change an hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit making the job seem like the most important job in the world. It's just another warehouse gig. And from what I've been reading lately, it might not be around much longer. Too bad so sad , jerome.,,

Smiles Guaranteed* (lol, jk)

snack consumer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat health benefits keep you alive so Fab can harvest as much of your energy and soul as possible.

Free lunch which silently implies that you don't leave the office/your desk during work hours.

(Mostly) Good people

Great views of Jersey apartment fires across the Hudson.

"Unlimited" vacation. Just don't take too much. (How much is too much??)

Even after layoffs there are plenty of managers and directors and VPs to go around! (It's like Oprah walked in and started yelling: "You get a manager! And you get a manager!")

Employee discount is decent- most of the products are good.

Free table- amiright?

You might be layed off!! {yes I know that I put this under the Pro list}

ConsYou have time to get fired

There's a lot of politics and clicks that will get you promoted and will get you a raise but ultimately- don't trust anyone because you might be let go at any moment.

Working under people who make rash decisions... The business model could change at any moment on Jason's whim with little research or #s to back up decisions. (Flash sales > inventory > fast design??) (fashion > no fashion > tshirts??)

Too many managers managing too few people.

No overtime combined with consistent 10+ hour days. Don't think about leaving before 6. One of your managers is watching you.

The pay is significantly lower than at other comparable employers. The hardest worked employees are paid the least.

You will develop PTSD symptoms at the sight or smell of brussel sprouts and falafel.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop wasting money on guacamole parties and brand books. If you want to improve morale take some of the pressure off your employees. Decrease workload. GIVE RAISES TO PEOPLE DOING ACTUAL WORK.

Jason, stop micromanaging. You hired managers of teams for a reason... Let them manage small day to day things. You need to focus on the big picture. If you aren't a specialist in retail/comms/creative/inventory/customer service/finance/product- don't tell retail/comms/creative/inventory/customer service/finance/product how to do their job. If you believe you have hired the best team possible then you need to trust them.

At some point after a company has been around X amount of years and has raised X in funding, you aren't a startup anymore. Stop using that as an excuse for an unstable business.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be great, currently going through a rough patch

ProsThere are a lot of wonderful and talented people who work here. The website itself is beautiful and it's fun dealing with high-quality merchandise. You will learn a lot about start-up world and e-commerce. If the company gets through the difficult process of restructure it might become a great place to work again.

ConsAbout half of the workforce was let go in October 2013 and most systems and processes were broken. The current management consists of people who are new to their jobs and dealing with weary direct reports who have been been here through the ups and downs. Some senior management have little experience and don't know how to lead teams. Many decisions are made impulsively without regard for workflow and long term consequences.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your teams. Think long term. Make firm decisions about what the priorities are and stick to them.

Constant chaos

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIncredible learning opportunity. Able to observe extreme ups and downs of a startup going through different phases. Lots of opportunity to make an impact.

ConsInstability is a major problem. Three rounds of layoffs, opaque communications from management, and many people with opportunities elsewhere have been jumping ship.

alright

Crackerjack (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFree lunch every day, stock options, fun people, christmas parties

ConsTwo rounds of layoffs in a row where we had to find out via the press. No transparency

Fast paced. Always evolving.

Planner (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat office environment and location.

ConsVague company direction with little support.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Worked there as a temp for 6 months met cool people, below average Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree lunch (which from what i hear has changed a bit)
    cool co-workers
    Beautiful colorful office
    pretty good and fair pay

ConsManger never really cared what i did kinda just left me to my own devices
    While i enjoyed the people there it is extremely cliquey and at times reminded me about why i was so glad to be out of high school

Not a great company to work at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfree lunch, free lunch, free lunch...

Consterrible management, bad communication, no structure - I can not recommend this company to anyone.

Great people to work with; unstable business model.

New York, NY

ProsFab.com was a very promising start up. The employees are smart, driven and fun, the kind of people you would want to hang out with after work. The work itself was varied and provided new challenges daily.

ConsThe biggest con in working for Fab.com is it's instability. For a company that always boasted it's transparency, most of the one-third employees that were recently let go in both Berlin and the US didn't see it coming. More minimally, you work late nights often.

Worked for Fab.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fab.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fab.com CEO Jason Goldberg . All 37 reviews posted anonymously by Fab.com employees.