Fab.com

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014

Jason Goldberg

Great concept, shoddy foundation

I worked at Fab.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-benefits
    -smart people that challenge you to constantly do better
    -open minded work environment

Cons

-instability
    -constant changes "pivots"
    -micromanagement due to insecurity about company

everyone who works here is brilliant and needs to flourish in accomplishing their goals. constant changes and instability make these types of people unhappy.

Great Learning Experience

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Fab.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with a very talented team. Everyone was smart, ambitious and capable; I learned a lot from them and also grew my network exponentially. The hiring process really focused on right culture-fit so there tended to not be a lot of clashing personalities. I always felt comfortable voicing my opinion, so ultimately felt as though I was helping to shape our direction.

Cons

Very unstable environment. We changed directions so many times in a very short window that we never gained any traction on any of the paths we decided to take. Information was withheld at a senior management level that was crucial for determining the best, and thus potentially most successful, path which led to a lot of frustration.

No Comment

I worked at Fab.com full-time

Pros

Benefits, Benefits, Benefits, Benefits, Benefits

Cons

No Comment, No Comment, No Comment

Amazing until it wasn't.

I worked at Fab.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fab was a too-good-to-be-true dream job -- and it was true for awhile. A lot of reckless decisions on behalf of upper management led to the company's downfall, which was as rapid as its growth. But the experience was invaluable and I will cherish it forever. Perks were insane (and in hindsight, not sustainable) -- free lunch and snacks, cell phone payment, good health coverage, open leave, etc. Will miss the glory days. Will always have the experience I gained.

Cons

Opaque upper management, impulsive CEO, blatant lies masquerading as "transparency", overnight pivots, unsustainable perks and pay, ZERO incentive/reward for those asked to stay after multiple layoffs (except, of course, a job).

I think the above says it all.

Not even one star

Former Employee - Cracker Jack in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cracker Jack in New York, NY

I worked at Fab.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free Snacks and excellent catered food, fun office while it lasted, casual dress code.

Cons

If there would be the option to not give a star at all, this would be my choice.

Inadequate management, not transparent at all.
    When I got interviewed and hired there were many (too many) promises of the excellent career chances Fab would offer. As soon as we started we heard of over 100 lay offs in Berlin, a month later over 100 in NYC. People were giving false expectations of their own employment and the status of the company.
    Also, the way that lay offs were handled was under any dignified manner - inhuman treatment!
    Managers were the contrary as down to earth and without any connections to their employees.

There is really nothing they can do.

Everyone thinks they are your boss.

Former Employee - Maintenance/Custodial in Keasbey, NJ
    Former Employee - Maintenance/Custodial in Keasbey, NJ

I worked at Fab.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free lunch, if you get to the lunch area early. cheap vending machines.

Cons

Nice place to work, if you only speak Spanish. I didn't receive the after 3 month benefits like I was told would happen. There's no limit of your job description, they expect you to do everything and anything. For pocket change an hour.

Quit making the job seem like the most important job in the world. It's just another warehouse gig. And from what I've been reading lately, it might not be around much longer. Too bad so sad , jerome.,,

Smiles Guaranteed* (lol, jk)

Current Employee - snack consumer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - snack consumer in New York, NY

I have been working at Fab.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great health benefits keep you alive so Fab can harvest as much of your energy and soul as possible.

Free lunch which silently implies that you don't leave the office/your desk during work hours.

(Mostly) Good people

Great views of Jersey apartment fires across the Hudson.

"Unlimited" vacation. Just don't take too much. (How much is too much??)

Even after layoffs there are plenty of managers and directors and VPs to go around! (It's like Oprah walked in and started yelling: "You get a manager! And you get a manager!")

Employee discount is decent- most of the products are good.

Free table- amiright?

You might be layed off!! {yes I know that I put this under the Pro list}

Cons

You have time to get fired

There's a lot of politics and clicks that will get you promoted and will get you a raise but ultimately- don't trust anyone because you might be let go at any moment.

Working under people who make rash decisions... The business model could change at any moment on Jason's whim with little research or #s to back up decisions. (Flash sales > inventory > fast design??) (fashion > no fashion > tshirts??)

Too many managers managing too few people.

No overtime combined with consistent 10+ hour days. Don't think about leaving before 6. One of your managers is watching you.

The pay is significantly lower than at other comparable employers. The hardest worked employees are paid the least.

You will develop PTSD symptoms at the sight or smell of brussel sprouts and falafel.

Stop wasting money on guacamole parties and brand books. If you want to improve morale take some of the pressure off your employees. Decrease workload. GIVE RAISES TO PEOPLE DOING ACTUAL WORK.

Jason, stop micromanaging. You hired managers of teams for a reason... Let them manage small day to day things. You need to focus on the big picture. If you aren't a specialist in retail/comms/creative/inventory/customer service/finance/product- don't tell retail/comms/creative/inventory/customer service/finance/product how to do their job. If you believe you have hired the best team possible then you need to trust them.

At some point after a company has been around X amount of years and has raised X in funding, you aren't a startup anymore. Stop using that as an excuse for an unstable business.

One hell of a ride.

I have been working at Fab.com full-time

Pros

Learned a great deal about startups and retail. Had many opportunities for growth and was able to voice my opinion to upper management. Free lunch, amazing benefits and colleagues. Made many lifetime friends.

Cons

Constant short deadlines and extreme changes in direction. Went through multiple rounds of layoffs. CEO is a micro-manager, lacks vision, and empathy. New initiatives were never given a chance to succeed.

If the CEO was out I think Fab would have a chance. He suffocates the environment and has no retail experience. Since the departure of our PR director, he has been going off on Twitter and blog post rants. He is extremely brash and both embarrassing/threatening to the employees.

Used to be great, currently going through a rough patch

I have been working at Fab.com

Pros

There are a lot of wonderful and talented people who work here. The website itself is beautiful and it's fun dealing with high-quality merchandise. You will learn a lot about start-up world and e-commerce. If the company gets through the difficult process of restructure it might become a great place to work again.

Cons

About half of the workforce was let go in October 2013 and most systems and processes were broken. The current management consists of people who are new to their jobs and dealing with weary direct reports who have been been here through the ups and downs. Some senior management have little experience and don't know how to lead teams. Many decisions are made impulsively without regard for workflow and long term consequences.

Listen to your teams. Think long term. Make firm decisions about what the priorities are and stick to them.

Not a great company to work at

I worked at Fab.com full-time

Pros

free lunch, free lunch, free lunch...

Cons

terrible management, bad communication, no structure - I can not recommend this company to anyone.