Facebook

Facebook Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you(in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location(in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance(in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life(in 24 reviews)

Salary is so low that you need to bring food home

Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Prosyou have a big name on your CV

Consyou will need to bring food and snacks home from the office if you want to survive

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's degrading have to systematically "steal" food from the office, please pay us more, salary is just average, promotions are non existent after a couple of years.

nice campus, bad salaries, lot of pressure

Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Pros-nice working environment
    -a lot of food

Cons-low salary, you will starve if you are a single income family
    -salary + benefits does not compensate the huge effort you will make on a job here
    -lot of pressure to deliver or pretend to deliver something with impact

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany could definitely afford to pay above the average, instead is keeping people "hungry" with the excuse of free food and having FB name on CV.

Lots of hype, substance is lacking.

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsChallenging problems in scope and scale to solve.
    Money for projects is essentially unlimited. Buy the best of everything.

ConsPolitics and poor leadership in the mid-management levels.
    Many mediocre co-workers that can't pull their weight.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of your Managers and Directors are not high caliber or top notch.
    Set a higher bar and weed out your poor quality directors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company is more suited for top grads than for those with hacker/intellectual mindset.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsLots of smart people, really good technical infrastructure. Company actually changed the world with social networking. Free food, good pay, benefits. Facebook on resume looks fantastic.

Cons1) It's a social networking company, always will be, never even bothers with thinking beyond social.

2) If you can convince yourself into thinking every thing Facebook does is worthwhile, it's a jolly good place to work. Otherwise, the internal culture that's developed over there can be very stressful, always expecting people to be confirming and to be vocal about it. It's an 'either fit in or get out' culture.

3) Company as a whole is bad at asking honest questions on important issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing data driven is a good thing, but when it prevents you from thinking on fundamental issues, the whole approach becomes superficial. E.g, the most common public perception on facebook ads is that they are essentially irrelevant to them. Because of its sheer size, there will always be clicks/imps/revenue or whatever. You could either spend time optimizing these metrics, or instead, think about the most fundamental issue (that of irrelevance) and bring in some paradigm shift, thus making ads a real product.

Another example is Facebook Home. Who really cares about a fancy UI with chat heads? Give me something real, like a completely new and better way to use/benefit from smartphones than the existing platforms. Then your phones will actually be bought. The question here is why go for these meaningless small goals and not for real world changing stuff that the company prides itself on being capable of?

Do yourself a big favor and train employees on their weekly manager meetings. As of now, they are useless and can hurt engineers who really have no clue on what's expected of them. While you're at it, also train management and employees on setting concrete expectations.

Does not "connect" with contractors

Legal Triage Technician (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsFree food. Free transportation. Get to put Facebook on your resume. Casual work attire.

ConsIf you are a CONTRACTOR you will be treated like a second class citizen, you will have no voice. Will not be considered for advancement, even if there are positions available. Actual employees work less than the contractors. FB hires contractors to do work that will be constantly needed, front desk, kitchen staff, IT Help Desk to name a few. It's as if they don't want the "help" to be officially apart of their team. The FB you see online is not the same as in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have more than enough money. Hire people and give them job security. Especially for people that are doing jobs that won't be going away. 2+ years as a "contractor"......Give me a break!

Not a good place for a career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Pros1. Great benefits and perks
    2. Passionate and dedicated employees
    3. Fun and exciting environment

Cons1. No career growth and lack of internal career paths
    2. Low compensation
    3. Lots of politics within the company (many ex-Yahoos and AOL employees are in management)
    4. Bad culture and habits brought in from ex-Yahoos and AOL employees are making a big negative impact on culture and morale at the company
    5. Mark Zuckerberg, aka Zuck has received good ratings in the past but of late he has been very distracted and not focused on how the company is run internally, he should own it and step up by making management changes to course correct the ship before it becomes another AOL.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something to address the low compensation issues and morale/culture issues within the company, make changes to management particularly in the engineering and sales organizations since the same traits that they had at Yahoo and AOL are starting to show at Facebook as well.

Disappointing, boring.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsPerks, free and delicious food, free other stuff, 21 days vacation, good for resume.
    Free schedule, nice office, gym onsite etc.

ConsThey say they're chaotic. IMO, it's a too fancy word for that. I would say that the code-base is a mess. The corporate value "move fast and break things" is understood too literally by some engineers. That's why the product is very unstable and the UI beyond two most frequently used pages is clunky. The job is boring. Things gets done extremely slow and the quality is very far from being perfect.
    Too much of narcissism (we're building an awesome product, we provide really sick user experience, we're ninjas, batmans and supermans etc. etc. etc.). Maybe it's good for some people, but not for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advise

not different from any other organization except for the benefits

Prosvision of its founder is strong

Constoo much office politics
    nepotism outweighs meritocracy
    teamwork is limited, more individualism

Unprofessional company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe compensation. Free breakfast, lunch and dinner is available, as well as healthy snacks, coffees and teas. Flexible hours.

ConsI can't speak for all departments, but in the one I worked, no one wanted to take the time to train you, even on new programs. I saw so many people not take responsibility for their work, and deadlines were repeatedly not met regardless of the effect that it had on partners. FB employees would "work" from home but their tasks were never accomplished. People rarely communicated with each other, preferring to stay isolated with their earbuds in. Unfortunately, getting things accomplished often requires teamwork. The atmosphere was extremely political - friends of the boss lasted, everyone else did not. People think working at Facebook will be so amazing, but it wasn't. It was a big disappointment. I had no doubt that once they went public, the stock would nosedive because these people aren't used to accountability. In my particular case, my contract was immediately terminated after I spoke to someone about a co-worker who was harassing myself and another employee. I was assured that an investigation would still take place, but I found out much later, that it never did.

Advice to Senior ManagementReach out to employees and contract workers alike to get anonymous feedback on how the departments and employees are doing. If your departments aren't meeting deadlines, find out why, don't . Demand professional behavior.

Over-worked and under-valued, watching the bubble burst

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsWorking in digital, social and mobile is without a doubt *the* sector to be in, in Ireland these days, which is a great plus. Your role in FB is (pretty much) safe, which is more than can be said in other realms of the advertising (or indeed business) world. You'll also meet some amazing people here, you'll forge some real friendships. In advertising teams, there is a great feeling of getting to know the right people, doing (some of) the right things. Perks like free meals are increasingly ubiquitous, but are still nice.

ConsThe hours you work and the pressure you are under make the remuneration meagre in comparison (especially seeing as share options, previously promised to balance out low salaries, are now worth so little). The post-IPO scramble has made many lose confidence in the forward thinking and strategy of top level management; lower level management often lacks the skills or will to deflect from the increasing corporate politics. In engineering teams, there is a cult-like mentality towards the infallible CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to stop moving so fast and breaking people - think more about the long-term, and your employees who would like to remain with you.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!