Facebook
www.facebook.com Menlo Park, CA 5000+ Employees

Facebook Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you"
    in 70 reviews
  • "Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Not really a con but a tradeoff for moving fast: lack of documentation"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

FB is a rollercoaster of openness and communication that focuses on your ability to have impact on the world.

Operations Engineer (Current Employee)
    Menlo Park, CA

ProsYou're treated like a human being. You're well-fed. The corporate structure is designed so you can float to where you think you can do the best work with minimal hassle. Acquiring needed equipment is low friction. Above all, we believe in what we're doing.

ConsBase salary is a little below comparable companies. Young employee base can sometimes lack tact or manners. High density office plan presents parking issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementScaling to tens of thousands of employees is the biggest threat to the company. Keep everyone focused and keep teams small and nimble.

Fun, challenging and rewarding

Menlo Park, CA

ProsBeing surrounded by great minds who always strive for to better themselves
    Flexibility and Freedom to fix/work on the things you want to work on.
    Free food doesn't hurt either - and it is GOOD food.

Consmy only real complaint is that you sometimes reviewed solely based on the impact your work has rather than the quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee the cons.

Opportunity of a lifetime to solve cutting edge problems.

Principal (Current Employee)
    Menlo Park, CA

ProsCo-workers are not only super-smart, but they're also super-fun and relatively normal people. The job comes with a built in social life, if you want it. That makes it extremely easy for those who move to the Bay Area without knowing many people.

ConsExplosive growth and rapid hiring makes it sometime feel like a ton of people are getting hired into the spaces where you think you'd be promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep our press game up. If we're confident our products are the best they can be, then we shouldn't keep having PR trouble.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing Internship! Highly Recommended for Independent / Creative Thinkers

Intern (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat, open work atmosphere, incredible benefits (the food is incredible), wonderful coworkers, many opportunities for professional and personal growth. Lots of room for lateral growth and learning new skills on the job. Employees are extremely friendly and focused on cultivating a social work environment.

ConsThis isn't really a con, but positions at FB require the ability to work very independently. If you aren't a person who loves creating and completing projects to high standards without a lot of management, this probably isn't a good place for you.

The best place in the world to work - if you could call it work (its more of a lifestyle).

Manager, IT (Current Employee)
    Menlo Park, CA

ProsThis is the best place in the world to be. Environment is all about engineers. Benefits, management, direction, culture - all very very positive items about the company. Keep up the great work Mark!!!!!!!

ConsNot much negative. I find myself wanting to come to work and participate. Sometimes, I don't want to leave... So oddly, it can make for a long day sometimes.

Great workplace for motivated engineers

Research Scientist (Current Employee)
    Menlo Park, CA

Pros1) You own your own career: choose a team and a project; switch teams when you're saturated; learn any skill you need.
    2) Very little process and bureaucracy for a company of this size.
    3) Hackathons.

Cons1) You own your own career, which also means you have to be the one focusing on impact (and ensure it's visible) to progress.

2) The intense focus on impact can sometimes mean that longer-term, exploratory projects are harder to initiate, justify, and eventually get recognized for. Facebook is growing to the scale where a small team focused on "failing more often" (that is, crazier projects) would be beneficial.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe growing scale means that the review process starts to be more political, as upper management calibrates people the barely know. Monetary bonuses for performance, as is now becoming well known, are a poor motivator. Let's go back to a more recognition-based culture.

First job, no complaints!

San Francisco, CA

Pros- Free food
    - Free snacks
    - Free laundry
    - Free transportation
    - Smart, driven people
    - Chance to change the world

ConsGetting fat. Need to use the free gym.

awesome place to work

New York, NY

Prosthe best place on earth to work. with the challenges u'll definitely enjoy.

Consheavy work hours only besides that everything is cool about fb.

Amazing company and opportunities

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Menlo Park, CA

ProsAmazing perks, job opportunities, co-workers, and compensation (in the tech industry). Extremely high levels of autonomy and work flexibility.

ConsThere's almost no one rules about when to work, but during hackathons, there is some pressure to work late on projects for the company. Likewise, it can be stressful at times (for example, when nearing a product launch).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be accessible and open about your goals within the company, and strive to maintain the current culture as the company grows

A wonderful learning experience

Menlo Park, CA

ProsIt's an extremely fast paced environment.

ConsThe work sometimes does get a bit hectic.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain as less bureaucratic as now as the company grows.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 98 reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees.