Facebook

Facebook Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros:
  • "The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you"
    in 68 reviews
  • "Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work/life balance unless you actively set barriers and don't do some things"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Not really a con but a tradeoff for moving fast: lack of documentation"
    in 28 reviews

ConsLess work life management , Over work ,

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employment better and keep respect

Great colleagues, fun environment

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros- Problem personalities, egos and politics fairly minimal. Managers are pretty good at minimizing and not rewarding this behavior.
- Fantastic benefits: three great free meals, fully loaded snacks, actual travel and training budget for all levels of employees.
- Professional, patient, open colleagues (for the most part).
- Make a case for what you need to do your job and you get it. No struggles, no hassles environment.

Cons- Large company environment: lots of noise, chaos, lack of planning
- People are still people and in any group environment they will show their stress profiles (self-centered, inconsiderate, domineering, lack boundaries, fighting over resources, pushing agendas for the sake of face/ego)

Advice to Senior Management- More training for individual contributors on effective communications and teamwork
- More training for individual contributors and managers on being positive, constructive leaders

The best company I had...

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSocial interactions with different people from the IT industry.

ConsCan't think of any bad things on my company...

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on what you are doing.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

I have been working at Facebook full-time

ProsCompany continues to grow -- this means there are lots of advancement opportunities
Engineers here are generally sharp, and it's still an engineering-led culture

ConsThe company has gotten bigger and has lost some of its more intimate startup-y vibe. I'm not sure another company of this size can handle things as well as Facebook did. though.

Great ideas

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Prosenergy, and food energy, and food

Conslack of future innovations energy, and food

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to obama

Smart, boring people and no balance.

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are smart, and the scaling challenges are great. Where else does your code impact a billion people? The compensation is amazing.

Senior management are generally amazing people, smart, visionary and compassionate.

ConsThe focus on measuring means anything that can't be measured is ignored. It's easy to measure someone's ability to code on a whiteboard. As a result, the coders are much better than nearly everywhere I've worked, but that's it. Social skills and personality can't be measured. As a result there is no one here you would ever be friends. The internal surveys bear this point that people don't have friends at work. Similarly for managers, they are selected strictly for their technical ability. Again, they have zero compassion. In my time being here, I've never once felt like anyone cared if I was here or not. Not once has anything positive ever been said. It's really astounding.

Recruiting does an amazing job at making candidates feel wanted. That feeling disappears the moment you sign. After that, you have no manager or anyone who will care. You'll go into bootcamp where you'll have a "mentor". His role is to continue to do his job while counting the number of lines in your diffs to make sure you can make progress with no assistance.

After bootcamp, you'll have a manager who operates in the same mode. They are interested in the technology and not the people. To them, you are a resource to be maximized. They will tell you everything you need to do to improve, but never once say "good job". In boot camp, I kept meeting these amazing, visionary dynamic managers. I know realize they were the exception. Those people made me love Facebook during bootcamp, but that feeling wore off quickly once I interacted with the average line level manager.

Plus, beware of the reviews here. Recruiting will tell you point blank that they curate these reviews. The reason FB has the highest rating is because someone internally has a goal to achieve certain star ratings on this site.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart selecting people for human relationship skills and focus less on pure technical ability.

Life Changing

I have been working at Facebook

ProsVoted one of the best places to work, year after year.

ConsTo be honest, it all boils down to personal preference.

valuable experience because of the people i met

I worked at Facebook full-time

Prossmart engineers who worked hard and played hard. There was also really good food most of the time, and a fun sense of family. I enjoyed the location in the bay area.

Conswrote code in a sloppy manner and were too insistent on shipping weekly

Facebook practices what it preaches

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFacebook is a doggedly open and honest company, and it's by far one of the best places you can go to kickstart or mature your career.

ConsWorking in a remote office can substantially limit your career growth potential. If you're in a non-sales, non-engineering role and you're interested in staying for the long haul, be prepared to accept the high possibility of a move to the Bay Area and an hours-long commute.

Need to suck up to management

Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros- Some of the smartest engineers I've ever worked with
- Great free food and perks (dry cleaning, snacks, etc)
- Lots of opportunities to make things happen -- great bottoms up culture
- Mostly very nice people who try to help each other out

Cons- Engineering management runs the show -- you need to suck up to them to succeed, and if you dare disagree, prepare to leave
- Poor quality management -- many are set there by level and for being smart technically, but aren't good people and career managers
- Terrible work/life balance unless you actively set barriers and don't do some things
- Sloppy coding -- hacking is more prized than good structure and elegance
- A bit overly full of itself and entitled

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective with managers and get people who communicate well and genuinely care about their employees. Some of this can be trained / mentored but there are folks who really just shouldn't be people managers.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 637 reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees.