Facebook

www.facebook.com

Facebook Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you(in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location(in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance(in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life(in 24 reviews)

what a joy;

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Pros- even as an intern you have great responsibilities
    - work with really smart and cool people
    - liberty to decide how, when and where you'll work
    - your opinion matters
    - you do stuff that have impact on almost a billion people
    - delicious food
    - the coolest perks/benefits you could want to have

Consin a move fast culture it's not so easy to get involved if you're not proactive.

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsGreat culture where you are limited only by your ability and initiative.
    Engineers get to move around the company with low friction.

ConsCan be a little intense sometimes especially around launches. To be successful at Facebook, people need to be able to enjoy the fast pase.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Awesome place to work!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsEveryone in this company has incredible energy and passion for what they do. You get to work with some really smart people without any of the politics I've seen with other employers. Everyone is trying their best to be awesome at whatever it is that they do and having fun at the same time.

ConsAt 37, I'm one of the old guys.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt will be a challenge to keep things the way they are, particularly as we continue to grow.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing scale, pace and culture

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsI'm coming up to the end of my first quarter and continue to be blown away by how fast we can move, even compared to tiny startups. The engineering culture is aligned to enabling you to try things out, get things done and get them shipped out at an amazing rate. The perks are amazing and the management structure feels flat and low friction. Lots of smart folks and plenty of opportunities to get stuck into different areas if you feel like a change.

Work/life balance is good; lots of encouragement to take a break when you need it with a pretty high frequency of offsite events, and flexible working hours.

The onboarding process is very well put together: culture infusion from the moment you walk in the door, and you're mentored through a six week bootcamp and can be pushing code out to the website in your first week.

ConsThe flip side of the low friction management structure is that you need to take on more ownership of finding high impact work--don't expect to handed out work, you need to identify the work and then get it done. I see this as a plus, but it can make it a little difficult when you start out.

Having a high density of smart folks can make it feel more competitive than it really is, and that combined with the pretty low average age of employees can result in the occasional abrasive conversation.

Being privy to the roadmap and our plans overall but not being able to tell people about it when they interpret our steps towards our grand vision in a negative light can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing!

This is freaking amazing

Product Analytics (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Pros* Intellectually challenging, stimulating work
    * I own my work stream and for the most part decide what is most important
    * Managers have a "hands-off" philosophy as long as you perform well, which is absolutely awesome
    * Tons of opportunities to develop technical, communication and other skills
    * Perks, perks, perks!

Cons* too much cool stuff to do that I don't have time to do it all

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't listen to wall street and keep doing what you are doing

So good it doesn't feel like work.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Pros- High impact on a product that is used by 900M+ people every month.
    - Awesome environment with highly skilled coworkers.
    - Great culture, focus on getting stuff done.
    - Awesome food.
    - Great benefits and perks.
    - Engineering bootcamp, which is the best way to introduce the new hires to the culture and to teach how stuff works at Facebook.

Cons- Too much food can get you fat.
    - Ripstiks can hurt sometimes.
    - The first days of work can be very hard. They can be very fun too, though.

As a Facebook engineer, you can have as much impact as you are driven to have; your opinion matters a lot!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsAs a software engineer, a lot of work is self driven and based on self-motivation. You are not told exactly what to do week over week. It is your job to figure out what is best to work on, what has the most impact for the company, and how to improve things. Most engineering is driven by the engineers themselves and not some sort of management. To me, this is perfect. However, if you don't like thinking about what you are doing and being critical about what is good for the company and your team, this might not be the place for you.

ConsFacebook is all about iterating fast. This is great for our products because we can quickly get something out there and see what works and what does not. However, it means we have a lot of sketchy software and products sometimes. It also means we have to constantly be doing "cleanup" which often takes a long time. You will be under "attack" by the outside world because things "suck" even though you know they are being worked on and improved, but that takes time.

best place to work at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros1. World Class Environment
    2. Best growth

ConsNone i guess they are doing best...

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing fine.

My first job, it does not get better than this

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Pros- Everyday is different
    - Good progression in the company
    - Nice people
    - Overall faith in the company

Cons- The expectations are pretty high

Best place to have a big impact

Director (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Pros- compared with its competitors (many of which have 30,000+ employees), Facebook gives people a chance to make a massive impact. I've been at the company for 4+ years and we consistently grow our number of employees far slower that the growth of our users, developers and advertisers. This gives each employee a chance to do something huge for our nearly 1billion users.
    - if you are a "doer" and take accountability for things, there really is no limit to what you can accomplish

Cons- if you love process for the sake of process (i.e. going to meetings), Facebook is not your place. It thrives on results and moving fast, and process that helps the company move fast is reward; process that results in more meetings and redundancies is not
    - people at Facebook have a lot of fun, but it is a relatively serious and extremely driven place; we expect a lot out of our employees so come ready to contribue

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!